• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about the new Ultimate Spider-man CGC books...

59 posts in this topic

These would be my buying prices too...because right now I can flip these on eBay fora couple hundred dollars more in these grades wink.gif

You are absolutely right Darth.

I bought a couple of 9.8s from you to complete my Ultimate Spiderman set.

SO you both are not looking long term on these books?

A flip for a profit sounds good! I thought you were planning on holding for 10 - 20 years....

Go for it! (As id you need MY blessing!!)

Always flip extras, but you should keep a complete Ultimate set for yourself smile.gif

In my opinion, since y'all asked so nicely, as long as benchmark prices are being achieved for USM, it will continue to be submitted to CGC at a FURIOUS pace.

Eventually, some sage individuals will take a look at the Census, and pull the brake-cord. Hopefully, for you guys, when that happens, the train won't jump the tracks...

-Joe

i would have loved to get that ultimate spidey#1 white variant cgc 9.8 with the head sketch.that was a nice looking book and you dont see too many 9.8s with sketches. wink.gif

If you already have a white variant cgc 9.8, I wonder if you can remove it from the plastic holder with the presence of CGC representatives during a comic convention where they also are to witness the signing and sketching by Mark Bagley. Then, would that be better than the one sold for $1300 because you'll have a yellow label (signature series) rather than the green label (qualified), I wonder if this would be possible. Probably, this is something we can ask to a CGC rep.

Okay, here's an etiquette question...Suppose you want a signature or sketch on a REALLY high-grade book. Is it appropriate to mention to the artist/writer that you specifically would like care taken to preserve the book's grade (i.e., "please handle it carefully; I'm having it graded"), or is that rude?

Or is it even necessary anymore, given that most (all) creators realize that people want their comics preserved, and will voluntarily be painstakingly careful with books they remark or sign?

(I've heard stories of Stan Lee destroying copies of ASM #1 by flipping them around, piercing them with his pen by mistake, etc.)

if you want to preserve your high grade-----dont let anyone with a pen or marker anywhere NEAR it!!

Exactly. If they're so precious, why the 893censored-thumb.gif are you getting it scrawled on in the first place?

Um...Because a signed/remarked book CAN still grade 9.8, and be worth a TON of money?

Um...Because a signed/remarked book CAN still grade 9.8, and be worth a TON of money?

Um...okay if you say so. Go ahead get it signed. Keep us updated as to what book, when you got it signed & by whom. When you get it back as a 9.8 from CGC, throw it on Ebay & get a TON of money. I can't wait to see the results. Good luck & remember to update us! laugh.gif

Um...okay if you say so. Go ahead get it signed. Keep us updated as to what book, when you got it signed & by whom. When you get it back as a 9.8 from CGC, throw it on Ebay & get a TON of money. I can't wait to see the results. Good luck & remember to update us! laugh.gif

First, I think a cursory observation of the CGC Signature market bears me out, and I'm genuinely perplexed why you would doubt or challenge the notion when remarked signature books at 9.8 are extant AND expensive. Your tone suggests exaspiration, as if you've lost patience with someone embarking on a trek to discover Santa Claus or something.

Second, I never said anything about whether I was going to get a book signed, slabbed, and flipped--I only asked a simple etiquette question about the process of getting a book signed or remarked. I asked because that's happening more and more often and I'm curious, but I never gave one indication that I was embarking on the strategy. I think you've assumed way too much about the simple etiquette question I posed. So there's nothing to 'update you" on; only a question I asked that hasn't been answered.

First, I think a cursory observation of the CGC Signature market bears me out, and I'm genuinely perplexed why you would doubt or challenge the notion when remarked signature books at 9.8 are extant AND expensive. Your tone suggests exaspiration, as if you've lost patience with someone embarking on a trek to discover Santa Claus or something.

Give us some concrete examples, not a "cursory observation". From what I've seen, prizes realized the Signature Series books have been underwhelming compared to their regular blue label counterparts. For example, take Bob's Sig Series auctions. The Stan Lee SS have done well, but those are primarily low-mid grade.

I think you've assumed way too much about the simple etiquette question I posed. So there's nothing to 'update you" on; only a question I asked that hasn't been answered.

Yep, it hasn't been answered yet. I guess no one really cares except maybe you.

if cgc would let you in there presence take a cgc 9.8 out of the case get a sketch and sig and still be able to retain the 9.8 i would be all over that.i just doubt they would do that for some reason.the sigs bring some good money but if you can get a sketch and a 9.8 well you can take the cake.i also heard that ss can only get as high as a 9.8,but i saw a cgc 9.9 from paradise comics a while back.bob have you ever had any of yours grade out a 9.9? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

doesnt CGC take special precautions when they create their Sig Series books? Like having the signatures madeunder tightly controlled circumstances? I mean, they dont just mail a couple of dozen copies to the artist and have him mail them back, do they? I thought they set up a room. wear gloved and protect the books as much as possible....bevause they are selling the grade as well as the SIgnature.

doesnt CGC take special precautions when they create their Sig Series books? Like having the signatures madeunder tightly controlled circumstances? I mean, they dont just mail a couple of dozen copies to the artist and have him mail them back, do they? I thought they set up a room. wear gloved and protect the books as much as possible....bevause they are selling the grade as well as the SIgnature.

Yeah, I heard that the books are signed in the dark in a vacuum in a diving bell in the bottom of the ocean. Whoops, rolled my eyes right clean out of my head again!

if cgc would let you in there presence take a cgc 9.8 out of the case get a sketch and sig and still be able to retain the 9.8 i would be all over that.i just doubt they would do that for some reason.the sigs bring some good money but if you can get a sketch and a 9.8 well you can take the cake.i also heard that ss can only get as high as a 9.8,but i saw a cgc 9.9 from paradise comics a while back.bob have you ever had any of yours grade out a 9.9? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have Tomb Raider #1 CGC 9.9 Signature Series Signed by Andy Park.

Yep, it hasn't been answered yet. I guess no one really cares except maybe you.

Look, BOC, you've been nothing but nasty to me in EVERY reply you've ever made to me, and I've never been negative to you even once. Do you have some sort of problem that we should take to PM and resolve, or do I just need to avoid you? You've been rude, condescending, and downright surly to me from the start, and I've done NOTHING to instigate it.

Either stop it, explain it, or just keep away from me.

Look, BOC, you've been nothing but nasty to me in EVERY reply you've ever made to me, and I've never been negative to you even once. Do you have some sort of problem that we should take to PM and resolve, or do I just need to avoid you? You've been rude, condescending, and downright surly to me from the start, and I've done NOTHING to instigate it.

It all goes back to that time in the Australian Outback when you let a Dingo eat his baby.

He's never forgiven you for that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

It all goes back to that time in the Australian Outback when you let a Dingo eat his baby.

He's never forgiven you for that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Watched a Turner Classic Movie last night eh bug.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif