• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic Cage Collection

132 posts in this topic

For the Incredible hulk 170 cage collection person - yes i am referring to who else on here owns some cage books whether big or small smile.gif

and stephen F./Metro I was referring not to the immense bargain prices, the allentown books were nice, I was referring to the $6,000 marvel mystery 89 .

You must be talking about the Marvel #89 that I sold for him $2500 (invoice 15958). The same book that was later falsely claimed to be the Mile High copy (certainly not by me). Is that the book you are talking about?

Are you making the claim that I sold this book for $6,000? I can provide the paperwork if you would like.

S

My understanding is the MMC #89 was sold to Cage by PCE. The book was sold to PCE by me. I showed the book to John Verzyl who also confirmed it was a MH and used to own it! It was certified as a MH by CGC.

West

To be clear, I sold him the book January 9, 2002. It was sold to him to upgrade a lower grade copy I had sold him years earlier. You can confirm with Roter that this book DID NOT come from him.

OK. Let's the details out. When did John sell it? How much did he sell it for? Who did he sell it to? I know who I bought it from. I know how much I paid. And I know how long that person had it.

The Adventure #82 I sold to Cage was not a Mile High but it was later slabbed as a Mile High.

S

John Verzyl sold it to Ernie Gerber in 1987 along with the certs he gives out. I bought it from Gerber in 1991 for $995 as it is listed in his auction catalog (he also had the #88 which was sold to him by Verzyl and was also certified by CGC as the Edgar Church/ Mile High copy). I had the book for a number of years and showed it to Verzyl many times, yes he did want it back. I put the book up on PCE where Rotor said a client of his was really interested in the book. I assumed that client was either you or Cage. The book sold on PCE. About 3-4 years later it turned up for sale in Cage's collection where I bought it again. I still had the old cert which acts like a fingerprint confirming it was indeed the same copy. I send the cert with the book back to CGC where they talked to Verzyl and confirmed it for the 4th time that it was indeed the Edgar Church/ Mile High copy.

whew! flowerred.gif

West

When did Roter sell it for you? How much did he get? I assume Roter advertised it as the Mile High?

The only books Cage bought from Roter were Superman 3-5 and not a single Marvel Mystery. We need to be able to trace Roter's book to the person I bought it from. I bought the book for $1500 in 2002. How does that compare with what you had gotten for it?

I will contact Roter tomorrow. Hopefully he can shed some light on this mystery.

S

For the Incredible hulk 170 cage collection person - yes i am referring to who else on here owns some cage books whether big or small smile.gif

and stephen F./Metro I was referring not to the immense bargain prices, the allentown books were nice, I was referring to the $6,000 marvel mystery 89 .

You must be talking about the Marvel #89 that I sold for him $2500 (invoice 15958). The same book that was later falsely claimed to be the Mile High copy (certainly not by me). Is that the book you are talking about?

Are you making the claim that I sold this book for $6,000? I can provide the paperwork if you would like.

S

My understanding is the MMC #89 was sold to Cage by PCE. The book was sold to PCE by me. I showed the book to John Verzyl who also confirmed it was a MH and used to own it! It was certified as a MH by CGC.

West

To be clear, I sold him the book January 9, 2002. It was sold to him to upgrade a lower grade copy I had sold him years earlier. You can confirm with Roter that this book DID NOT come from him.

OK. Let's the details out. When did John sell it? How much did he sell it for? Who did he sell it to? I know who I bought it from. I know how much I paid. And I know how long that person had it.

The Adventure #82 I sold to Cage was not a Mile High but it was later slabbed as a Mile High.

S

John Verzyl sold it to Ernie Gerber in 1987 along with the certs he gives out. I bought it from Gerber in 1991 for $995 as it is listed in his auction catalog (he also had the #88 which was sold to him by Verzyl and was also certified by CGC as the Edgar Church/ Mile High copy). I had the book for a number of years and showed it to Verzyl many times, yes he did want it back. I put the book up on PCE where Rotor said a client of his was really interested in the book. I assumed that client was either you or Cage. The book sold on PCE. About 3-4 years later it turned up for sale in Cage's collection where I bought it again. I still had the old cert which acts like a fingerprint confirming it was indeed the same copy. I send the cert with the book back to CGC where they talked to Verzyl and confirmed it for the 4th time that it was indeed the Edgar Church/ Mile High copy.

whew! flowerred.gif

West

When did Roter sell it for you? How much did he get? I assume Roter advertised it as the Mile High?

The only books Cage bought from Roter were Superman 3-5 and not a single Marvel Mystery. We need to be able to trace Roter's book to the person I bought it from. I bought the book for $1500 in 2002. How does that compare with what you had gotten for it?

I will contact Roter tomorrow. Hopefully he can shed some light on this mystery.

S

I got significantly more than $1500. He did advertise it as a MH. If I had to guess I would say I sold it in 1997-1999.

West

I Think the big auction houses had its effects on PCE. The big books are just not there anymore.Funny thing is they were the 1st dealers with the auction concept back in the early 90s.Competition just capitalized on the idea better than they.

I Think the big auction houses had its effects on PCE. The big books are just not there anymore.Funny thing is they were the 1st dealers with the auction concept back in the early 90s.Competition just capitalized on the idea better than they.

Maybe he is spending more of his time acting again. You know he was a "child star"?

Linky

The list is not complete, because I remember him recurring on the I love Lucy show and on Andy Griffith.

Yes I was talking about the 62 my bad and a 10% return is not a great investment, you should be seeing 300% of investment

Unfortunately, I cannot sell Mile High books that triple in value over a 2 year period. Especially when they choose to dump their books into an auction.

Can I invest my money with you? Will you triple my money in 2 years? Can I have that in writing?

Stephen

Nah, I think RR basically just lost the plot. He was difficult enough to deal with before he discovered the PC collection, but was insufferable after he discovered it. However, he then became absolutely impossible to deal with after he sold most of the PC Marvels at then-record prices, but just before CGC came into existence and drove prices further up into the stratosphere. This caused him to believe he'd been "ripped off" for selling his Marvels for too cheap, leading him to attempt to recoup his "losses" by charging insane prices for the rest of his inventory. Not surprisingly, the inventory just sat there and after a while people stopped doing business with him.

Nah, I think RR basically just lost the plot. He was difficult enough to deal with before he discovered the PC collection, but was insufferable after he discovered it. However, he then became absolutely impossible to deal with after he sold most of the PC Marvels at then-record prices, but just before CGC came into existence and drove prices further up into the stratosphere. This caused him to believe he'd been "ripped off" for selling his Marvels for too cheap, leading him to attempt to recoup his "losses" by charging insane prices for the rest of his inventory. Not surprisingly, the inventory just sat there and after a while people stopped doing business with him.

Sounds like Chuck.

Does the Nic Cage label designation hold any extra value to people? I don't know of anyone for whom it does, but that doesn't mean it can't hold special meaning to someone.

I was thinking of the Larson Marvel Mystery 8 that I sold to Metropolis (they made me a very fair cash/trade offer at the time) which sold several years later at auction for significantly less than I had parted with it for.

Great book, Larson pedigree, Cage collection...someone got a good deal on that book! poke2.gif

STEVE

I could see a Nic Cage fan buying one of the cheaper books from his collection just to "own something he owned", but I can't imagine a seasoned comic book collector paying much of a premium for one of his books.

Does the Nic Cage label designation hold any extra value to people? I don't know of anyone for whom it does, but that doesn't mean it can't hold special meaning to someone.

I was thinking of the Larson Marvel Mystery 8 that I sold to Metropolis (they made me a very fair cash/trade offer at the time) which sold several years later at auction for significantly less than I had parted with it for.

Great book, Larson pedigree, Cage collection...someone got a good deal on that book! poke2.gif

STEVE

I own one Nic Cage book (Human Torch #3 (#2) CGC 8.5), and I think it's cool. However, I certainly wouldn't pay a premium to purchase one.

I have several of the Planet Comics from his collection. I like the idea they're from his collection, personally ascribe a very small premium (maybe 2-3%) to them, because they represent some comic history that people care about (as evidenced by several threads on these boards), plus I like him as an actor and a person. Conversely, I have a couple of Dallas Stevens slabs, and don't ascribe any premium to them, but bought them because I felt they were undergraded.