• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truly serious book on Ebay

35 posts in this topic

I have to say as a fan of Atom Age esoterica I never really "got" the high demand for this book. Sure it's a great title, has an okay "bad girl" cover, and is referenced in SOTI - but it's a photo cover reused from the paperback, and the interior is nothing special, and I t doesn't seem to be super-scarce. I can see it being somewhat desirable, but it tends to fetch prices one would associate with books like Phantom Lady #17( considered the best GGA cover ever by many) and Giant Comics Edition #12 (classic Baker prostitute cover and HTF in any grade).

I don't mean to disparage anyone's auction - it is really a beautiful copy - just curious as to why it commands serious multiples of guide.

I think it get so much interest because it is such a classic cover regardless of the interiors and there are a lot of GGA collectors. PL 17 is one of the best GGA covers out there, but this one is pretty high on the list. Also, seems not too many around in this kind of shape. This is one of the top 3 graded copies so that should help the sells.

I think it get so much interest because it is such a classic cover regardless of the interiors and there are a lot of GGA collectors. PL 17 is one of the best GGA covers out there, but this one is pretty high on the list. Also, seems not too many around in this kind of shape. This is one of the top 3 graded copies so that should help the sells.

Like PL 17, this is a cover that overtly says "This comic is not for little kids". They aren't very many of these, hence the interest, regardless of the lame interior.

Like PL 17, this is a cover that overtly says "This comic is not for little kids". They aren't very many of these, hence the interest, regardless of the lame interior.

I don't doubt this copy will sell for a pretty penny - it's a sharp looking 7.5, but even low grade copies sell for 6X guide, and guide isn't that cheap ( $163 in 2.0). Maybe it's my personal bias against photo covers, but is it really a top 3 GGA cover? Ah well, to each his (or her) own - at least its FMV isn't as out of whack with its importance as Suspense #3 poke2.gif

I don't doubt this copy will sell for a pretty penny - it's a sharp looking 7.5, but even low grade copies sell for 6X guide, and guide isn't that cheap ( $163 in 2.0). Maybe it's my personal bias against photo covers, but is it really a top 3 GGA cover? Ah well, to each his (or her) own - at least its FMV isn't as out of whack with its importance as Suspense #3 poke2.gif

I like the book, but evidently not as much as many other collectors. Like Suspense 3, it's not a recent phenomenom that it commands a premium.

I agree with you about photo covers... I also have a bias against them. Top 3 GGA cover? No way.

I have to say as a fan of Atom Age esoterica I never really "got" the high demand for this book. Sure it's a great title, has an okay "bad girl" cover, and is referenced in SOTI - but it's a photo cover reused from the paperback, and the interior is nothing special, and I t doesn't seem to be super-scarce. I can see it being somewhat desirable, but it tends to fetch prices one would associate with books like Phantom Lady #17( considered the best GGA cover ever by many) and Giant Comics Edition #12 (classic Baker prostitute cover and HTF in any grade).

I don't mean to disparage anyone's auction - it is really a beautiful copy - just curious as to why it commands serious multiples of guide.

I kinda have to agree...I think this has come up a few times before in discussion, unless I'm just going crazy. insane.gif

My wife and I are both avid fans of the pulps (her even more so than me), and you can get covers in that genre that are far more lurid and "adult" than this one in the $20-$50 pricerange. I guess because this is a comicbook it has that "extra bad" appeal...but I dunno, I think I lot of the classic EC covers are a heckuva lot more controversial than this one (CS#22, anyone?). confused-smiley-013.gif

Though I guess I'd better wish showcase the best of luck again, seeing as how he thinks I have "internal depression" or something. tongue.gifpoke2.gifstooges.gif

I'm on vacation with no OS book. About how much is this book worth?

raw vf 8.0 is $1,013. I almost bought a nm- raw copy of this 8 yrs ago for 2x guide making it $800. Too bad the top of the cover looked pinched like undisclosed trim job so I declined. foreheadslap.gif

More than 8 days to go and the page has already had more than 600 hits.

Yeah, showcase-4 will probably do OK on this one.

gozer

---------------------------------------

Dear Mr. President. There are too many states nowadays.

Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot!

I'm on vacation with no OS book. About how much is this book worth?

raw vf 8.0 is $1,013. I almost bought a nm- raw copy of this 8 yrs ago for 2x guide making it $800. Too bad the top of the cover looked pinched like undisclosed trim job so I declined. foreheadslap.gif

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif I'm guessing, It's normal for this book to go for multiple BV