• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gobbledygook #1 is up for sale!

25 posts in this topic

First appearance of TMNT (and it's an only an ad) and I think it's going to go for a lot more...

For the life of me, I don't understand the TMNT thing and the requisite demand.

I thought for sure the TMNT would have gone the way of Howard the Duck at least a decade ago. foreheadslap.gif

Howard the duck didn't have 2 cartoon series, dozens of toy lines, and 3 (?) mothion pictures to support it...

Actually there is another film in production right now......

but if it's just an ad, is it really the 1st appearance?

I would go with "first mention", and it's cool that it is on the back cover so you can see it right away, but an appearance happens in continuity, in story, in the actual book.

Chris

IMO, it is foolish not to grade this before selling on eBay, whether or not you have a good story about provenance.

Then again, they may not grade them. The only thing in the census is the 1986 100-page book. The original is 1984.

IMO, it is foolish not to grade this before selling on eBay, whether or not you have a good story about provenance.

Then again, they may not grade them. The only thing in the census is the 1986 100-page book. The original is 1984.

I see dhooker is currently the high bidder. If he wins, I suspect this book will show up as a uber high grade book sitting in a PGX slab. There are several threads on Dennis Hooker and his alleged connection to Terance Leder of PGX fame.

Dhooker/Leder relationship .

Howard the duck didn't have 2 cartoon series, dozens of toy lines, and 3 (?) mothion pictures to support it...

but if it's just an ad, is it really the 1st appearance?

The value of it answers your question (waiting for my Marvel Age 12 to shoot up any day now...) insane.gif

boo.gif

I'm not disputing the value, as with only 50 made, and 1st published Mirage comic book, it's value is justified. Just the 'first appearance'. Cause I ain't all that excited by the back cover.

marvel age was just a company news magazine, so if you start counting THOSE, you may as well pull out old issues of CBG as well.

totally agree re 'first appearance'... its the first eastman/laird book, first appearance of fugitoid and the tmnt space aliens, you might even say in a limited way that its the first appearance of the tmnt universe but its certainly NOT the first appearance of the tmnt themselves.

For the uninitiated, the interiors are a combination of the first few chapters of what would later be reprinted in the Fugitoid oneshot (although the Fugitoid oneshot if I recall also contains new chapters to bring the story from Gobbledy 1 and 2 to a close) and a number of very nice full page drawings not elsewhere reprinted to my knowledge.. mostly of aliens if I recall.

Its a great book for the rarity etc alone... but if you want to read Gobbledy 1, 2, and the final chapters on a budget, just pick up the Fugitoid oneshot.

What the hell happened? They pulled the Gobbledygook #1 and relisted it at a higher price. I don't think anyone even noticed!!!

You only have few hours left .

I want this book!!!! Someone is going to have to fight me on this one!!! sumo.gifpoke2.gif

Now it is time to do some research and background check!!

Did you guys see that they already sold #1 for BIN of $400 and #2 for a BIN of $300 and before that had them both listed for $299 each and no bids. How did they get multiple copies and have no idea of the worth?? I am not saying it isn't possible but it does not seem likely.

for those of u who don't understand the interest in this book,

if i was a die-hard TMNT fan, i have no doubt this book would be holy grail 1-A (right beside TMNT 1)

Quick question, is GG#1 of the same paper stock as TMNT? As I had a flick through my first 5 issues the other day (starting with #1) and was shocked with the page/paper quality degradation.

I was thinking I'd get them slabbed just from a preservation angle!

What the hell happened? They pulled the Gobbledygook #1 and relisted it at a higher price. I don't think anyone even noticed!!!

I want this book!!!! Someone is going to have to fight me on this one!!! sumo.gifpoke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't speak for the originals but the counterfeit GG1s are actually on very nice paper (the interiors anyway, the cover is on lesser stock).

Worth knowing!

How does it go 'so if does look to good a condition to be true, it usually is'

Someone from these boards probably notified the seller.

Either that or Hooker had A $1500 bid on the book. wink.gif