• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you didn't collect comics,what would you collect?

49 posts in this topic

Right now I don't really collect comics anymore, since I can't sell them. I am currently collecting original art. Unfortunately I got out bid on everything at the Heritage auction (I only bid on 3 things, so it wasn't THAT bad). But I did pick up a great piece of Eduardo Risso 100 Bullets art, thanks to Chrisco37 for hooking me up with his art dealer.

I also collect Test Press LP's and first press 7 inches. I focus on punk rock and underground music. Not much money in it, but you can buy some cool things for cheap. cloud9.gif

Well I used to be a records and cd collector (heck even 8-tracks), I had an incredible collection that still puts my comic collection to shame...

Lots and lots of first-print vinyl, record store promo's,Japanese pressings etc...

About three years ago a fire destroyed most of the apartment where my wife and I lived and we only got a small portion back from the insurance company, I lost more than 7000 record albums and CDs and my wife lost a lot of family heirlooms.

Picking up the pieces wiped us out financially and emotionally, but we carried on (my wife was pregnant at the time of the fire, luckily nobody was home when it occurred). but my prized music collection was destroyed, never to be replaced. So in this hour of darkness, I turned to my childhood love; comics...

I have about 1500 CDs and records left and have hardly bought any the last two years...

Quite an impressive Record/CD collection you STILL have at 1500, but 7000!! WOW!

Other than comics I only collect old science fiction movies on VHS or sometimes DVD. Most "B" movies.

Quite an impressive Record/CD collection you STILL have at 1500, but 7000!! WOW!

Other than comics I only collect old science fiction movies on VHS or sometimes DVD. Most "B" movies.

I got a bunch of (sleeveless) Elvis 45s when I was about 5 or 6, got my first turntable shortly after and then people started giving me albums, singles etc..

I bought my first single (with my own money) when I was 9 or 10 ("Paradise by the dashboard light" by Meatloaf smile.gif

And for the next twenty years I went to record fairs near and wide to buy stuff, I went to London about 4 times a year with two other music-nutters just to browse the second hand records shops of Soho and Camden.

So 7000 records divided by 25 years is only about 280 records/CDs a year grin.gif

In 1989 I made my first trip to NYC and discovered that CDs cost about half over there as they did over here, so I returned with over 200 CDs, all spread out in the luggage of my reluctant traveling companions so I wouldn't get stopped at customs.

For the next 5 years I save all my spending money during the year so I could go to NYC during the Summer just ot buy records and CDs. By then I had found the used records stores at St. Marks Place smile.gif and met this nice couple that let me sleep on their couch every time I flew over

By the time I was 30 I had enough music to listen to 24 hours a day for more than a year.

Trouble is when you reach this level, you don't really enjoy the music that much anymore,it's the collecting, the chase that's giving you the buzz...

In hindsight having the collection taken away from me wasn't the end of the world, like I said, about 20% survived and after the fire I only bought about 100 CDs back from the 5000+ that disappeared. It had become a beast that had to be fed all the time.

When I switched over to comics, it was most of all to distance myself from the loss of the music collection, I knew I never would get such a collection together again, so I wanted to start afresh with something I cared for as a child...comics

I swore to myself that I wouldn't let the collecting part dominate and would enjoy and read every single book...Well I haven't read each book in my collection, but I plan to and 3/4 of the slabbed books I own I crack open and read...

Toys relating to American Indians - including kids "frontier Americana", exaggeratedly-stereotyped figurines and art, etc. In fact, I already have a good start on that: when I directed an Indian Youth cultural center here in Oklahoma, we built a "stereotype museum" for the kids as an educational tool. Our task was to collect as many goofy Indian representations as possible (including everything from the TV Guide "Maiden and Wolf Shaman Spirit" figurines to the downright racist art and 50's souvenirs), and then each youth had to learn and be able to explain why it was incorrect, AND what an accurate portrayal/idea would be instead.

The godfather 1 and 2... they've been on the HBOs this month and I think I've seen them about 20 times now... I can't get enough... Must have watched goodfellas (or a portion thereof) almost everyday in college... completely second DAM's idea. DAM... the question is which is the better movie: g1, g2 or goodfellas?

Brian - remember what you have learned through the Matrix - it is the question that drives us . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would collect 3.5 by 2.5 green pieces of paper with pictures of great philosophers and U.S. presidents on them, seeing as because of my comic addiction, I can't seem to keep said pieces of paper.

I bought movies for a few years that I was on comic hiatus, I would by 1 movie every week and watch it on Sunday night as a way to unwind from the week/weekend. I have about 140ish. It was great, and easy to keep under control, sometimes I'd buy two but that was rare.

DVDs, CDs, PSX games, Transformers, Star wars figures, Simpsons figures, sprts cards, WWE Diva cards, sci fi books....hmm I've ignored all these collections since delving into comics frown.gif

DVDs are fun - you get bored with it you can toss it up on eBay and you can always pick them up for less than $10 at Blockbuster or thru a DVD club. CDs I really haven't pursued since getting a CD burner and a cable modem wink.gif

My action figures are still all boxed up. I love the Simpsons figures - they are hot on and off again, probably off at this point. I even used to chase all the rare Wizard/Toyfare and KB/Toys r us exclusives. My baseball card collection is worthless (except to me). I have Topps, Fleer and donruss from 1979, 1980, 1984, 1987 - 1991 and I just picked up complete boxed sets from amazingspider-fan on the real cheap ($1 per set avg smile.gif ) And I also finished my Mattingly collection with his help as well. Unless I can find more deals like this - I won't be buying sports cards ever again.

ahh the DIVA cards - I can always pick this up anytime. I even have those silly premium cards with a swatch of their used bras/panties/ringside attire - WOO HOO! Pretty sick, huh? I can empathize with greggy and his unnatural obsession with plastic Wonder Woman collectibles...

Sci fi books - mainly Star Wars novels and Harry Potter - not a true collection -0 should have just joined the sci fi club and bought all at wholesale instead of buying at barnes and noble/waldenbooks

Well I used to be a records and cd collector (heck even 8-tracks), I had an incredible collection that still puts my comic collection to shame...

Lots and lots of first-print vinyl, record store promo's,Japanese pressings etc...

About three years ago a fire destroyed most of the apartment where my wife and I lived and we only got a small portion back from the insurance company, I lost more than 7000 record albums and CDs and my wife lost a lot of family heirlooms.

Picking up the pieces wiped us out financially and emotionally, but we carried on (my wife was pregnant at the time of the fire, luckily nobody was home when it occurred). but my prized music collection was destroyed, never to be replaced. So in this hour of darkness, I turned to my childhood love; comics...

I have about 1500 CDs and records left and have hardly bought any the last two years...

this is a touching story...I now feel the need to burn some of my Barry Manilow compilations on CD-R for you and send it straight away... smile.gif

So 7000 records divided by 25 years is only about 280 records/CDs a year

ONLY 280 in a year!!! I buy maybe 20-25 a year, THAT's it! All I can afford.

Oh, I used to collect Hot Wheel cars before they really became a manufactured collectable. Some are very very pricey. Anybody have a skyshow fleetside?

this is a touching story...I now feel the need to burn some of my Barry Manilow compilations on CD-R for you and send it straight away... smile.gif

The weird part is that you are prolly the only -30 male that adores Manilow....

I also seem to remember you liking Laurence Welk ??

Dude, I thought you ex-jock Pacific Islanders were more 'street'

Listen to the "White Stripes" or the "Yeah Yeah Yeahs" tonight...

I can hook you up with some Radiohead or some Moloko as well smile.gif

Had to take my wife (trying to get her to be my girlfriend at the time) to see Manilow in Charlotte in 1993. Head said no...heart said no....but another piece of my anatomy said do it. Lousy [!@#%^&^] concert and no I didn't get laid. 893frustrated.gif

Had to take my wife (trying to get her to be my girlfriend at the time) to see Manilow in Charlotte in 1993. Head said no...heart said no....but another piece of my anatomy said do it. Lousy [!@#%^&^] concert and no I didn't get laid. 893frustrated.gif

OUCH!!! doh!flamed.gif

I was just wondering what would i collect if i didn't collect comics,Well I used to collect baseball cards,but now that i'm into comics and for some reason I didn't collect them serouisly,I would most likely collect Original Art. How about you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Kevin

fine photography

Not collect comics...surely you jest???!!!???

Seriously...I already collect other things besides comics. I collect Magic the Gathering cards on and off (I'm in one of my off periods). I collect DVDs and CDs actively (have over 400 and 600 respectively). I also collect toys but I'm not a serious collector of those. That is to say, whenever I get an action figure or lego set, or Gundam Wing model, I immediately open the box and put it together and/or put it up on a shelf on display. I have a couple of dozen Star Wars figures, including all of the first three series of the "Unleashed" sets (can't wait to get the new ones; they're awesome). I have a variety of modern transformers and some day soon I'll start buying vintage Gen 1 figures again. I have a couple of the Star Wars lego sets (Tie Fighter, Naboo Starfighter) and look forward to someday getting the huge Tie Interceptor and X-Wing Fighter sets.

In the past, I have collected baseball cards and may someday do that again. I also have a set of the "state" Quarters up to Rhode Island that I haven't bothered to update in a while. Finally, odd as it may sound, I collect maps; nothing vintange, just modern road maps. I have about various maps of my area such NY, NJ, Penn., Delaware, Maryland, places I have gone such as Ontario, Montreal, Western Europe, and whenever I go somewhere new, I buy a couple of maps. Yeah, I know; it's an odd choice of collectibles.