• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery #9?

87 posts in this topic

Whoever won landed an outstanding Timley.Definitely one of the 10 best IMHO.I will forever be kicking myself for not bidding on the Larson copy that appeared on Ebay a few years back..

This may sound stupid, but I can't for the life of me figure out what IMHO means, I have some guesses, but they are not appropriate for children.

I put in a fairly agressive snipe at $3,500 but I honestly felt that there would be at least one guy would have have placed a much higher snipe just to secure the book. Maybe if I was a little more flush with cash I would have persued it but I'll save it for a better copy down the road. Auctions like this have a way of flushing out books that people typically do not want to sell. I'm sure the owners of the 2.0 and 2.5 copies are probably thinking about an easy $5,000 and a nice profit if they were to list today.

I put in a fairly agressive snipe at $3,500 but I honestly felt that there would be at least one guy would have have placed a much higher snipe just to secure the book. Maybe if I was a little more flush with cash I would have persued it but I'll save it for a better copy down the road. Auctions like this have a way of flushing out books that people typically do not want to sell. I'm sure the owners of the 2.0 and 2.5 copies are probably thinking about an easy $5,000 and a nice profit if they were to list today.

It seems to work that way, Surfer... seems like everytime I buy a book I've been waiting for, sure enough, another copy surfaces within a couple of weeks. You can do better than that old rat chewed copy anyways!! You'd probably get the scurvy or something if you cracked that slab...

I will forever be kicking myself for not bidding on the Larson copy that appeared on Ebay a few years back..

That book was monkeyed with: the label changed, the grade changed, there was a subsequent erasure on the cover, etc.

I love Larsons but just couldn't pull the trigger at the time for a big book that had been so insidiously manipulated.

Not that that has ever happened in the hobby before...

Of course, I'd love to own it now! 27_laughing.gif

STEVE

sacentaur

I understand why you passed on bidding on the MM9.All the shenanigans surrounding it bothered me as well.I had originally hoped to purchase it from Heritage when it was offered in a PLOD.I put in a strong bid,only to lose out to Heritage/resto partner themselves.Then the book gets the big squash/glue removal and the next thing you know it's blue label.The thing that really bugs me is when the books get pressed(cleaned?) so hard they somehow lose the pedigree markings.

It seems to work that way, Surfer... seems like everytime I buy a book I've been waiting for, sure enough, another copy surfaces within a couple of weeks. You can do better than that old rat chewed copy anyways!! You'd probably get the scurvy or something if you cracked that slab...

When it comes to really scarce books which don't turn up often I have bought the first one that came along, and then if another came along, I would sometimes just buy the second copy as well and then later sell the one I wanted the least. That has worked out very well when it's been truly rare and desirable books, and especially well when they've been undervalued books. In fact several times I've bought a rare book twice within a couple months -- and to this day those books remain the only two times I've ever seen it offered.

When it comes to really scarce books which don't turn up often I have bought the first one that came along, and then if another came along, I would sometimes just buy the second copy as well and then later sell the one I wanted the least. That has worked out very well when it's been truly rare and desirable books, and especially well when they've been undervalued books. In fact several times I've bought a rare book twice within a couple months -- and to this day those books remain the only two times I've ever seen it offered.

This explains why I can never get a copy. 893whatthe.gif

I should have never sold my 3.0 copy over 2 years ago..but I was into High End FFs at the time...I managed to pick up another, but it needs a BC! And I don't know of another Timely that has the MM 9 BC---arrow set ad (inside BC microscope ad)... blush.gif

I should have never sold my 3.0 copy over 2 years ago..but I was into High End FFs at the time...I managed to pick up another, but it needs a BC! And I don't know of another Timely that has the MM 9 BC---arrow set ad (inside BC microscope ad)... blush.gif

off topic slightly, but on the same theme: if anybody ever needs the back cover for a cap 1, i did the research and there is ONE SINGLE book that shares it, inside and out---mystic 5. i don't have the answer to mm 9, and since it's so early, the possibilities are narrowed significantly. however, the next time i'm in the bank drawer, i will check and see if i can find one with the arrow/m'scope. my mm 9 is in plastic, so i'm glad you told me what to look for.

off topic slightly, but on the same theme: if anybody ever needs the back cover for a cap 1, i did the research and there is ONE SINGLE book that shares it, inside and out---mystic 5. i don't have the answer to mm 9, and since it's so early, the possibilities are narrowed significantly. however, the next time i'm in the bank drawer, i will check and see if i can find one with the arrow/m'scope. my mm 9 is in plastic, so i'm glad you told me what to look for.

I've never married a back cover from another title, but I'm curious, just because the back cover is the same, does that also mean that the inside back cover is the same, or do you run the risk of matching the back cover but not the inside back cover?

I've never married a back cover from another title, but I'm curious, just because the back cover is the same, does that also mean that the inside back cover is the same, or do you run the risk of matching the back cover but not the inside back cover?

usually they DO NOT share the same inside. many, many books have that little desk ad cap 1 has on the back, only one shares the same inside ads.