• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you handle this Ebay situation?

42 posts in this topic

Or perhaps you can cover underbidder vs your difference.

And I'm not crazy frown.gif

you are if you're not using sniping software, at least for some of your bidding flowerred.gif

I've bought over 3,000 items on eBay...and never once used a snipe programme.

Always preferred the hands-on approach. thumbsup2.gif

Luddite!

poke2.gif

I actually like the thrill of it... crazy.gif

I have so many 1 second manual snipes to my name...

I think you must ignore the issue of the snipe...it's a red herring.

The fact is that, from the seller's POV, and from eBay's, you made your bid after revisions. It's irrelevant how that bid was placed...snipe software, your cat, via telepathy...the fact is the revision details were available before you placed a bid.

You can only hope that the seller is understanding, as technically, you haven't got a leg to stand on. frown.gif

I agree. Now, I can't sat I haven't been burned by sniping an auction myself. The last time I did it, I didn't not ice that if you won multiple auctions, you get raped on shipping. This guys shipping was $6.50 for one book and $2.00 for each additional. That was completely my fault and I take responsibilty for it.

You should, too. Just complete the transaction and consider it a lesson learned.

Wouldn't this situation just fall under a "bait and switch" scam? Doesn't ebay frown on this or protect the buyers? I'd check with ebay to see if I have to follow through with it. I could see this happening with a 35 cent variant posted as a "hidden" (i.e. "Xmen 105-107" in title, but pictured are the 35 cent variants of 105-107), where I would set a high snipe and not revisit it. Then when the auction ends, I find out I won but I click on it and see the description and picture is now for the regualr 30 cent editions then I know I overpaid for something I didn't want in the first place.

I don't think I'd be honoring any bid where a major detail was substantially revised after the fact. You always have proof of when the snipe was set and maybe ebay may take your side on this case, should you decide not to pay up.

Or perhaps you can cover underbidder vs your difference.

And I'm not crazy frown.gif

you are if you're not using sniping software, at least for some of your bidding flowerred.gif

I've bought over 3,000 items on eBay...and never once used a snipe programme.

Always preferred the hands-on approach. thumbsup2.gif

yeahok.gif

In my case, the seller was understanding and did not mind at all. I use esnipe and it has never failed. I contacted their support. I would like the option of having my pre-set snipe be canceled if revisions have been made to the listing. That would help a little.

Sort of off subject...When you set a snipe bid with your software, are you committed or can you retract? It's not yet a binding contract with eBay so I assume you can cancel, right? That's of course, the software offers that feature.

You can cancel a snipe with the software I use up to 6 minutes before the end of the auction - and there's no binding contract until the bid is actually placed and the item won.

Sort of off subject...When you set a snipe bid with your software, are you committed or can you retract? It's not yet a binding contract with eBay so I assume you can cancel, right? That's of course, the software offers that feature.

You can cancel a snipe with the software I use up to 6 minutes before the end of the auction - and there's no binding contract until the bid is actually placed and the item won.

Got it. Thanks!

Now, if the seller had the image hosted off-site, they could easily change the image (the bait-and-switch) without there being any record of the change....

Great point! I didn't get a chance to look at hatred's auction mentioned in the original post. I host off-site so naturally that's the scenario that occurred to me sorry.gif

Auction ends at 6PM. At 1PM, you set a snipe bid with your third-party sniping software. At 2PM, seller drastically revises the description(grades) of the comics in the listing. You win the auction and THEN discover the revisions made to the listing. Based on the revised grades given to the comics, you obviously overpaid. Anything in particular you would do? Rip the seller a new one? Gladly pay anyway? Etc?

Email him a copy of your most recent PM's........and tell him your name's Bill Munny. thumbsup2.gif

PM from Bill Munny sent to Ned Logan:

(Bill Munny): "I ain't like that no more. I ain't the same, Ned. Claudia, she straightened me up, cleared me of drinkin' whiskey and all. Just 'cause we're goin' on this killing, that don't mean I'm gonna go back to bein' the way I was. I just need the money, get a new start for them youngsters. Ned, you remember that drover I shot through the mouth and his teeth came out the back of his head? I think about him now and again. He didn't do anything to deserve to get shot, at least nothin' I could remember when I sobered up."

(Ned Logan): "You were crazy, Will."

(Munny): "Yeah,.... no one liked me. Mountain boys all thought I was gonna shoot 'em out of pure meanness."

(Logan): "Well, like I said, you ain't like that no more."

(Munny): "That's right. I'm just a fella now. I ain't no different than anyone else no more. "

He'll probably offer you a refund & pay for return shipping. crazy.gif

yeahok.gif

Problem? confused-smiley-013.gif

How many bids will you admit to that you missed by one second too long, then?

I've always done it manually also. It's not terribly difficult. I've either won or lost because others were sniping also and bid way past where I would've paid anyways.

yeahok.gif

Problem? confused-smiley-013.gif

How many bids will you admit to that you missed by one second too long, then?

Oh, a good number! 27_laughing.gif

Just about all of my bids register in the last five seconds...it's a risky strategy, but it doesn't allow for any come-back on my bid. I've had many one second snipes, but a number that I've slipped on.

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances. insane.gif