• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Mag. size comic books

43 posts in this topic

Is the Spirit World mag fully illustrated or is it an amalgam of text-n-strips?

It's fully illustrated panel style. Mixture of illustrations & the photo montage stuff Kirby use to do. It was printed in blue ink, kind of like a blue sepia tone effect. Very odd book.

Mark

And a way cool poster... cloud9.gif

spiritworldposter.jpg

Being a big Wendy Pini fan could mean that I am slightly biased...however....the Elfquest books were really populer back in the day with the Fantasy resurgance in full swing...Come to think of it....methinks Wendy Pini is underrated as well... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think they are great books and hugely underappreciated, although probably not undervalued right now given the level of appreciation out there.. if you follow my drift.

I think in the long run (20-40 years) the mags with the best chance of retaining/increasing their value are those that have characters with a high profile in popular culture. I'm not predicting these mags are the next hot thing and set to rocket in value. In my opinion mags will lose collectibility over time except for those whose subject matter maintains appeal with future audiences.

The Conan mags fit this bill but an abundant supply of copies will keep these relatively cheap for many more years. Savage Tales #1 is a must have for the long term. The Spiderman mags are already incredibly pricey but in my mind a definite must have for a mag collector.The Kiss Marvel Super Specials have probably peaked and will probably become less collectible as the Kiss Army shrinks. The Punisher books (Marvel Super Action #1, Marvel Preview #2) I put in the same category with the spidey books but with a little more long term risk on the price due to a more limited character profile in pop culture. Rampaging Hulk falls somewhere between Spidey and Punisher. Hard to pass up though as they are dirt cheap now.Vampirella is in extreme danger of losing collectibility (unless we have some massive rebirth of the character in films etc). Most issues are fairly abundant and the collector pool for these books is going to do nothing else but shrink. Creepy and Eeerie may maintain some general value as Monster Mags in the same way as Famous Monsters (and may actually increase over time due to the continued appeal of Horror in pop culture). However, as with Conan, these books are in abundance and any real movement on the price is going to be slow and over the long term. I can see all the Monster mags (including the Curtis titles) eventually losing their individuality and becoming a general collectible for the horror fan with prices fairly even across all issues (with exceptions of course).Movie Adaptations are great buys. Especially the adaptations of Jaws and Close encounters.

Vampirella is in extreme danger of losing collectibility (unless we have some massive rebirth of the character in films etc). Most issues are fairly abundant and the collector pool for these books is going to do nothing else but shrink.

Harris comics did a respectable attempt to revitalize Vampi a couple of years ago and I did stumble across a terribly bad Vampirella movie on Showtime starring Roger Daltry from the Who... 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif

Vampirella is in extreme danger of losing collectibility (unless we have some massive rebirth of the character in films etc). Most issues are fairly abundant and the collector pool for these books is going to do nothing else but shrink.

Harris comics did a respectable attempt to revitalize Vampi a couple of years ago and I did stumble across a terribly bad Vampirella movie on Showtime starring Roger Daltry from the Who... 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif

How are the Harris vampi comics selling? The few issues I read were absolutely terrible. And then there was that god-awful mag reprisal from a couple of years ago Christo_pull_hair.gif

How are the Harris vampi comics selling? The few issues I read were absolutely terrible. And then there was that god-awful mag reprisal from a couple of years ago Christo_pull_hair.gif

That Vampirella mag reprisal from a couple years back was rotten dreck. YUCK! crazy.gif

I remember the first three issues of the original Harris Vampi series went for high prices a while ago but I'm pretty sure they leveled out now. I also agree they were bad, that is why I just gave Harris a nod for the attempt at bringing her back to a newer fanbase. She also appears in some of the Harris Creepy issues too.

Harris just sold the Vampirella franchise (an out-and-out sale, not a licensing deal) to horror mag publisher Fangoria, who will be publishing Vampirella under the "Fangoria Comics" banner.

I am a huge Vampi fan (I have a complete Warren run and a good portion of the Harris issues as well, along with a good chunk of original artwork), and I am hopeful this change will be for the better. I didn't like the direction Harris had taken Vampi and it really seemed like the franchise was dying a slow death under their stewardship. I don't know if Fangoria can reverse this decline, but I don't think they can do much worse.

Sadly, I am the youngest hard-core Vampi fan that I know (and I'm in my mid-30s)...I fear that it will take some kind of film or TV deal and some Herculean efforts by Fangoria to build a fanbase for the next generation... sorry.gif

Interesting. I wasn't even aware Fangoria was producing comics. Did a quick search and found they apparently publish "Dee Snider's Strangeland". God, I hope the art in the Vampi series doesn't look like that! When I think of Fangoria I think of gore and blood, (not necessarily a bad thing) but I hope they do a tasteful Vampi series and don't turn it into a gorefest.

Harris just sold the Vampirella franchise (an out-and-out sale, not a licensing deal) to horror mag publisher Fangoria, who will be publishing Vampirella under the "Fangoria Comics" banner.

I am a huge Vampi fan (I have a complete Warren run and a good portion of the Harris issues as well, along with a good chunk of original artwork), and I am hopeful this change will be for the better. I didn't like the direction Harris had taken Vampi and it really seemed like the franchise was dying a slow death under their stewardship. I don't know if Fangoria can reverse this decline, but I don't think they can do much worse.

Sadly, I am the youngest hard-core Vampi fan that I know (and I'm in my mid-30s)...I fear that it will take some kind of film or TV deal and some Herculean efforts by Fangoria to build a fanbase for the next generation... sorry.gif

I have to say that the VAMPI comics by Harris were not nearly as bad as the magazine they did. I'm waiting with interest to see what Fangoria does with the franchise, but I'm not holding my breath. Fango, IMO, is an exploitation house. smirk.gif

Here's one I think you will like IT... Help! #22

th_help22.jpg

While not entirely a comics mag... I would argue this might actually be the 1st appearance of Fritz the Cat, which I believe to be wrongfully attributed to R Crumb's Comics and Stories (conceived in 1964 but not actually published until just after the aforementioned issue of Help!). There is so much to love about this book... edited by Kurtzman, Wonder WartHog appearance, plus Gallery cartoons by soon-to-be UG stars Skip Williamson and Jay Lynch. This mag has underground pre-cursor written all over it!