• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Copper age Comic Books...

46 posts in this topic

nope, I was confusing it with the anniversary $10 issue, with marv's 1st appearance. IIRC, many balked at the cover price at the time.

Oh, I'll second that one.

Getting the first appearance of Sin City for a few bucks over cover price is definitely undervalued.

Dark Horse Presents Fifth Anniversary Special (1991) thumbsup2.gif

raw books between $12-20. Seems to have cooled off a little.
What is Conan 275 pulling? Maybe it's time to offload my book.

Pat

Thanks for checking on that. Prices are okay, but not poor.

My copy is probably a solid 9.4, maybe 9.6.

Pat

Fish Police #1

Trollords #1

Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters #1 (or whatever it was called)

[fill in name of *HOT* B&W from early/mid-1980s].

Someday the speculators who got badly burned on these books will look back fondly on them with nostalgia and will want to reacquire a copy for their collections. tongue.gif

I have a couple of long boxes of this stuff, ergo i was a speculator at the time.

The thing is, besides the Turtles, the Tick, and a few others, none of those characters from the b&w-independent boom are still around - much less meaning anything to the young people who were'nt buying them at the time. I think we will indeed see a sort of 'Copper Revival' where some early-mid 80's titles start climbing in value, but let's not kid ourselves: the books and characters of that time period just don't resonate like those of decades previous.

-Todd (throwing another handful of Samurai Penguin on the fire...)

The thing is, besides the Turtles, the Tick, and a few others, none of those characters from the b&w-independent boom are still around - much less meaning anything to the young people who were'nt buying them at the time. I think we will indeed see a sort of 'Copper Revival' where some early-mid 80's titles start climbing in value, but let's not kid ourselves: the books and characters of that time period just don't resonate like those of decades previous.

I think the copper revival will start happening this year. I wouldn't be suprised if this year is all about the Copper Age!! "Rise of the Independents"

I think the copper revival will start happening this year. I wouldn't be suprised if this year is all about the Copper Age!! "Rise of the Independents"

I don't know about copper independents - independents have always had their own following but they were seldom popular in the sense of having a broad fan base. But I expect the interest in copper books to rise as more collectors buy the books that they remember from childhood. The market for HG copper X-Men and Spidey books is already fairly competitive.

I think whatever market action ends up happening for copper independents won't be for the fish police, trollords, etc type books that were hot for a month back in 1986. It will be for the books that become hot on their own merits now... won't be tons of these books, but perhaps some. Think Miracleman 15 not Trollords 1. There's a ton of cool PC/Eclipse etc. etc. books out there waiting to be discovered. How can you go wrong with a book like Pathways to Fantasy for a couple bucks? Stunning BWS cover, awesome stories and art... etc. I also like the 80s books with the wolverton reprints (Impact?), Mr Monster's Weird Tales of the Future, etc. And then there are all the exquisite stevens covers, a few of which are hard to find etc. etc. etc. There's tons of books like that which are highly unappreciated, at least for now, and that were a hell of a lot better than anything or almost anything DC and Marvel were putting out.

nope, I was confusing it with the anniversary $10 issue, with marv's 1st appearance. IIRC, many balked at the cover price at the time.

Getting the first appearance of Sin City for a few bucks over cover price is definitely undervalued.

This book?

56darkhorse.jpg

I think whatever market action ends up happening for copper independents won't be for the fish police, trollords, etc type books that were hot for a month back in 1986. It will be for the books that become hot on their own merits now... won't be tons of these books, but perhaps some. Think Miracleman 15 not Trollords 1. There's a ton of cool PC/Eclipse etc. etc. books out there waiting to be discovered. How can you go wrong with a book like Pathways to Fantasy for a couple bucks? Stunning BWS cover, awesome stories and art... etc. I also like the 80s books with the wolverton reprints (Impact?), Mr Monster's Weird Tales of the Future, etc. And then there are all the exquisite stevens covers, a few of which are hard to find etc. etc. etc. There's tons of books like that which are highly unappreciated, at least for now, and that were a hell of a lot better than anything or almost anything DC and Marvel were putting out.

Agreed! thumbsup2.gif

This book?

56darkhorse.jpg

Nope, this one:

1644830-dhp5as.jpg

1644830-dhp5as.jpg.b10fe2ad8696700b1c7d2d5ce7f9498a.jpg

I think the TMNT early books (with low print runs) will go up with the movie, but each movie that comes out insures that in the future they will continue to go up in my opinion.

What if the the movie sucks? confused-smiley-013.gif

There is nothing wrong with your logic as long as the movies are good and spur a movement for more Turtle comics and merchandise.

The earlier movies did suck, but the kids don't usually care. TMNT has already build a solid foundation over the years to survive a less popular movie it that came out, but looking at the previews it looks like it will be better than any of the previous ones...

That's a good point... TMNT is for the kids... they really don't care what the movie is like as long as it's TMNT.

That's the main reason you can do "Characters On Ice" shows for $75 a ticket.

The content doesn't matter... just seeing the characters is enough.

And it will happen on ...oh say...

Independence Day

hi.gifinsane.gif