• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRE 2010: SIGNATURE SERIES: QUESTIONS & ANSWERS THREAD

288 posts in this topic

With Qualified v. Universal it does depend on the overall condition and age of the book in question. Based on experience, a high grade modern with a signature, such as a DF book, will usually get a Qualified grade, while a silver age Marvel with, say, "Romita" on it will usually get the universal grade.

Perhaps Paul could answer this one for us on when and where they make the cut off, and whether or not the customer can request in advance Qualifed v. Universal.

Have we heard anything further about this? I am very curious to know if we can request Qualified vs. Universal on non SS signed comics.

With Qualified v. Universal it does depend on the overall condition and age of the book in question. Based on experience, a high grade modern with a signature, such as a DF book, will usually get a Qualified grade, while a silver age Marvel with, say, "Romita" on it will usually get the universal grade.

Perhaps Paul could answer this one for us on when and where they make the cut off, and whether or not the customer can request in advance Qualifed v. Universal.

Have we heard anything further about this? I am very curious to know if we can request Qualified vs. Universal on non SS signed comics.

My bad, I musta missed this.

It is not really a question of age; it is a question of grade.

Basic rule-of-thumb is if the book is mid-grade it will get a Universal label with grading text that would read something like: Name written on cover in marker.

If the book is high grade the signature would be the qualifier, hence the Qualified label. The grading text in that case would read something like: NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER. (Qualifiers are always in CAPS on the Qualified Label)

The Universal label would be inclusive of the Signature as a defect and the book would be graded accordingly. Since the book is mid-grade, the signature would not warrant the use of a qualifier because the signature, in our standards, would be an acceptable defect in that grade.

The Qualified label would ignore the major defect (in this case the signature) in the grade and would reflect the grade of the book. We only use the Qualified label for specific defects and if the difference in grades between being Universal or Qualified is big enough to warrant it.

Geez... did that make sense? blush.gif

My bad, I musta missed this.

It is not really a question of age; it is a question of grade.

Basic rule-of-thumb is if the book is mid-grade it will get a Universal label with grading text that would read something like: Name written on cover in marker.

If the book is high grade the signature would be the qualifier, hence the Qualified label. The grading text in that case would read something like: NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER. (Qualifiers are always in CAPS on the Qualified Label)

The Universal label would be inclusive of the Signature as a defect and the book would be graded accordingly. Since the book is mid-grade, the signature would not warrant the use of a qualifier because the signature, in our standards, would be an acceptable defect in that grade.

The Qualified label would ignore the major defect (in this case the signature) in the grade and would reflect the grade of the book. We only use the Qualified label for specific defects and if the difference in grades between being Universal or Qualified is big enough to warrant it.

Geez... did that make sense? blush.gif

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

When did Signature Series first begin?

I have ASM # 238 SS dated May 1, 2004 that I believe was signed in Seattle, WA. Seems early to me.

The first show was in April of 2002 (Pittisburgh). There was also a private signing that Paradise had with Darwyn Cooke who signed Catwoman #1. Not sure which came first though.

When did Signature Series first begin?

I have ASM # 238 SS dated May 1, 2004 that I believe was signed in Seattle, WA. Seems early to me.

The first show was in April of 2002 (Pittisburgh). There was also a private signing that Paradise had with Darwyn Cooke who signed Catwoman #1. Not sure which came first though.

OK, so an "Authorized Witness" couldn't "retroactively" submit books for SS?

IE- If "Witness A" got a book signed in 1999 and still had the book, they couldn't submit it for SS even though it was technically witnessed by an official CGC signature witness?

No, Witnesses cannot retroactively submit books. In face, there are rules against holding books for any longer than short durations between signing events and CGC must be informed as to what books are being held and why.

The first Signature Series signing was with Ande Park, Tomb Raider artist (at the time) - not sure of the date, but it may have been late 2001. The second was the Darwyn Cooke Catwoman #1 signing. Then Pittsburgh 2002.

Since CGC didn't exist before 2000, and Signature Series didn't exist before 2001-2, there are no authorized Signature Series Witnesses from anytime period before 2002 when the first Witnesses were approved from Paradise Comics. Approval for Witnessing books is not retroactive. If someone had a book signed today and were approved as a Witness next week, the book from today is not eligible -- only from the date of approval on.

====

As an aside, I'd like to once again ask people to leave the responding to questions in this thread to Paul Litch and myself. Thank you for your assistance, we understand you are trying to help, but it isn't what this was specific thread was created for. Think of it as the "Ask CGC" Thread for Signature Series.

No, Witnesses cannot retroactively submit books. In face, there are rules against holding books for any longer than short durations between signing events and CGC must be informed as to what books are being held and why.

Ok. Approximately how long is 'short durations between signing events'? There are 2 cons in Toronto this summer, one in June, one in August. Is that an acceptably short duration?

If I had a book I wanted signed by one guest at each con, what steps would I have to go through to arrange that? Any idea of what the additional cost would be? The price for Modern books is $16 currently, would I have to pay that twice, or only after the 2nd signing, when it actually gets graded, which seems to make sense to me.

Ok. Approximately how long is 'short durations between signing events'? There are 2 cons in Toronto this summer, one in June, one in August. Is that an acceptably short duration?

If I had a book I wanted signed by one guest at each con, what steps would I have to go through to arrange that? Any idea of what the additional cost would be? The price for Modern books is $16 currently, would I have to pay that twice, or only after the 2nd signing, when it actually gets graded, which seems to make sense to me.

You would make arrangements with a Signature Series Dealer / Witness who would take your book, get it signed at one event, then they would hold it for two months and get it signed for you at the second event and then submit it to CGC.

The price for Signature Series Moderns is $27 (not $16). Additional signatures cost $5. You would be paying at least $32 ONCE, up front.

You would not pay twice for grading fees since it is only being graded once.

You would make arrangements with a Signature Series Dealer / Witness who would take your book, get it signed at one event, then they would hold it for two months and get it signed for you at the second event and then submit it to CGC.

The price for Signature Series Moderns is $27 (not $16). Additional signatures cost $5. You would be paying at least $32 ONCE, up front.

You would not pay twice for grading fees since it is only being graded once.

The Services and Fees page does not mention a seperate price for Signature Series, thats the only reason I used the $16 price. What is the price for older books? Is there a page showing the breakdown of price for the Signature Series?

Thanks for the info! Its a great help.

No, for some reason they have not listed Signature Series prices on the website.

Basic Prices for Signature Series are:

Moderns - $27

Economy - $34

Standard - $54

Express - $84

On-Site Modern Signature Series Price - $34

$5 for additional signatures unless the creators are sitting next to one another.

Does not include additional autograph fees charged by celebrities or certain comic book creators.

Does not include the actual comic either. Or shipping.

Is there a list of SS witnesses anywhere?

Also, what does it take to become a SS witness? I remember seeing a thread last year about how there are no SS witnesses in the New England area - I'd love to be one! What would I need to do to become a witness?

Thanks for the nice thread guys,

-Bob

No, there's no published list of Witnesses.

Most Witnesses have their own CGC dealer account or are attached to an existing CGC dealer account and are authorized by the account holder to obtain autographs. Industry references are a benefit. If you have a CGC dealer account and wish to do Signature Series you should call CGC and talk to a customer service representative... or if you know or work for an account holder and wish to Witness on that account you'll need the account holder to submit a request.

So say I wanted A Daredevil 158 9.8 signed by Frank Miller. I would send the book slabbed to a witness and they would crackit out and get it signed? Then it would be regraded not garunteed to get the same grade? That is a tough one if so. Do the witnesses ever damage submitted books? Would be understandable. Thanks for your time