• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strangest trade you have ever made for comics

57 posts in this topic

I traded a lamb (dead, cut into joints and frozen) for a bunch of comics. yay.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen, we may have a winner!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifhail.gif

...IT PUTS THE COMIC IN THE MYLAR,..IT DOES THIS WHENEVER IT IS TOLD,...

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif Wait... wait, here's your basket.

I prefer baskets to longboxes anyday... insane.gif

low end - traded my Daredevil # 166 for a 6 pack of sprite in 1986

You should have held out for some weed!cool.gif

Years ago I traded some moderns past there prime, like GI JOE #2 and some other hot stuff at the time that were only worth about $20 for an Amazing Spidey 100 in VF and a Fantastic Four #10 in VG/F - Fn-. I brought all of these great silver age books to trade and this guy wanted only the moderns,,,,he went out of business about a year later.

In '78 I traded a never-played perfect condition Beatles SGT Pepppers album (still in the wrap) & a Beatles 45 of "I am the Walrus" for ASM 8 - 20 (All VF or better)...He was the comic book store owner I worked PT as a kid & big Beatles nut...of course back then ASMs weren't as high...

It's not strange I suppose, but I've exchanged time for store credit. In law school I'd do a little shoplifter surveilance for my LCS after class, watching the hoards of elementary school kids, and I'd get a store credit for my time. 3 hours for $35 (hey, it was 12-13 years ago!), which, back then, was enough to pick up a nice silver age book, a GA book like a Fawcett or whatever.

It's not strange I suppose, but I've exchanged time for store credit. In law school I'd do a little shoplifter surveilance for my LCS after class, watching the hoards of elementary school kids, and I'd get a store credit for my time. 3 hours for $35 (hey, it was 12-13 years ago!), which, back then, was enough to pick up a nice silver age book, a GA book like a Fawcett or whatever.

He gave me $25 a week for about 4 hours of work everyday...this was when I was between 9-15 years old (of course it went up a little every year)..PLUS he included 50% off anything I bought or used my credit for, so my collection grew exponentially, especially when back issues of most every title were under a couple of bucks as long as they weren't before 193-64 time frame, and then THOSE weren't that much either...this on top of what I made mowing lawns & my allowance, I had obtained almost 7000 comics in 8 years

Recently, a board member offered to give me a really sharp Batman #244 CGC 9.0 for the privilage of trading his Detective #402 (CGC 9.2 off-white to white) for my copy, same grade/page quality. He liked the centering on my copy.

I took him up on it.

Recently, a board member offered to give me a really sharp Batman #244 CGC 9.0 for the privilage of trading his Detective #402 (CGC 9.2 off-white to white) for my copy, same grade/page quality. He liked the centering on my copy.

I took him up on it.

I don't know how strange this is. confused-smiley-013.gif

I took him up on it.

So the book was free confused-smiley-013.gif

I took him up on it.

I think it was a case of looking beyond the label. Not all 9.2s are the same, and he considered the better centered 402 an upgrade.

I took him up on it.

Yes. The Batman #244 was free.