• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,888 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Well, here it is, after all these years I finally have secured a decent copy of Flash #139. (A special shout out to @flashlites who, by some purchases from my Flash collection, helped me fund this little endeavor.)

So glad we could help each other out!!! Very happy for you! Getting that key book is an awesome Flash moment! Have a cigar you've earned it! Getting those Bronze/Copper age Flashes from you really helped me towards the finish line. I will share with you all here when they come in the last batch is on the way as we speak :banana: 

8 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Was this the last one in the Silver Age?

As for this question, lets talk about it some more. We had discussed it several pages ago. I wouldn't think the Silver Age would end with the checkered tops, would it? In my mind the Silver Age continues until the end of the 1960's. What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

So glad we could help each other out!!! Very happy for you! Getting that key book is an awesome Flash moment! Have a cigar you've earned it! Getting those Bronze/Copper age Flashes from you really helped me towards the finish line. I will share with you all here when they come in the last batch is on the way as we speak :banana: 

As for this question, lets talk about it some more. We had discussed it several pages ago. I wouldn't think the Silver Age would end with the checkered tops, would it? In my mind the Silver Age continues until the end of the 1960's. What are your thoughts?

For Marvel fans I have heard two different cut offs. One of course is 1968 with all the new No. 1#s. The other is the death of Gwen Stacey, something that was unthinkable during the 60s SA. For DC fans the most common date is GL 76 as it ushered in a whole new tone. I think however it varies from book to book. When Wonder Woman ditched the swimsuit look for a jump suit, when Cinf left Flash, when they dropped a slew of books, Doom Patrol, Metal Men, Metamorpho, Challengers, Legion in Adventure comics, when Cinf left Detective and Denny O'Neil and Adams took over. All these occurred around the same period but unlike Marvel's not on a set date. I would also suggest it is around the date of the staff meeting with management when they asked for a royalty on reprints. I think Arnold Drake lead the group (Deadman - Doom Patrol) , management countered with a extra $1 power page and the group folded. Many in that group either never worked for DC again or got very little. They lost Drake, Broome, Gil kane, Andru and many others. Ithink about the only book that did not take a 90 degree turn was JLA.

For me with Flash it is 174. The last Broome/Cinf. 175 is very Mort Wesinger, late 50s style. That sharp art, mature story line, real people in Iris, Barry, Wally, Jay, Dexter, Ralph was not seen again until the trial of the Flash run, 296 -350.

Back when I started, this was about as far back in the Flash run as I could get. Flash comics in Australia were incredibly rare, as very few Australians dealt with US dealers. This is from Hugh O'Kennon. I had been told to try and buy 6.0 and up, but after about two years I noticed that under 125, 6.0 was never listed. Then Hugh listed this and 109 and eventually 110 upwards. So until 2016 this was my oldest Flash. Funny thing to consider that as there were no Cons until 1986 and then there were no DC SA comics being sold by local dealers, no internet and I only had a OPG update, I was basically buying these blind with no idea of the stories for most part. Amazing how times have changes. 

DSC05046.JPG

A super-nice, amazingly fresh looking copy of Flash #169 I picked up two years ago from an ebay seller. I think it was from the same collection as the #168 I posted earlier. This one doesn't look like it was ever opened and read. It's just about perfect for a square-bound except for a tiny chip/crease at the right lower front cover corner and some wear and color breaks along the bottom edge.

1885073233_flash169.jpg.9d2d256cc9d01d61dade6acb1e284495.jpg

On 8/17/2020 at 10:34 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

For me with Flash it is 174. The last Broome/Cinf. 175 is very Mort Wesinger, late 50s style. That sharp art, mature story line, real people in Iris, Barry, Wally, Jay, Dexter, Ralph was not seen again until the trial of the Flash run, 296 -350.

I think we will have to call it then at 174 due to the end of that remarkable team up between Broome and Infantino! What an amazing run they had together all way the back to Flash 95 I believe, working together to craft this amazing character! Broome would continue to write Flash for another 20 issues though? (His last Flash story was 194 I believe) They both left their mark on the art form, I often refer to them as the architects of the Silver Age when i'm addressing the subject to the newer generation of collectors in my local comic book clubs. They tend to see only the Marvel side of the story and Kirby and Lee, but I always tell them if not for the Flash and its success, Kirby, Lee and Marvel would have likely folded and never had even gone in the direction of superheroes. They seem to look at me in disbelief, but its true!

Edited by flashlites
Addition

Beautiful books! Both of you Terry and Jaylam! So hard to find these square bound issues in condition. I have copies where the glue they used has degraded over time/almost brittle? As for 108, it has a special place in my heart as it too was the earliest Flash I could find for some time. I lived in a rather remote part of the country in the 1970's, I grew up in New Mexico. A few years later I did manage to get a 106, still looking to replace that issue after the 1980's selloff. As for the 108 I have a copy but it is faded and in my mind I am haunted my by my original copy with its bright and and rich purple cover. When I am done completing the run It will be a priority to replace that with a better copy. That and replacing my cover-less 107.   :insane:

17 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

I’m not a true Flash collector even though I like the character and I love the Infantino artwork. I do, however, have a 105 which I bought last year because it came out the month I was born and I kind of like that.

D883DF10-1B16-461C-B3F2-90621E38B524.thumb.jpeg.0e56a998e3c62850ec536df8daebebdb.jpeg

Today I went to a small garage comic con and I purchased some books that make me feel like a “fortunate Flash fan” indeed. 

A3B94900-FDD3-4B5A-BA3B-486AA9A7A3AD.thumb.jpeg.2490a05e572f64844ea86e022c1482f4.jpeg3F5061A7-3F7B-4123-A082-A45FAC4586DF.thumb.jpeg.466e03b0c2647da43b9b5c6526e15f8a.jpeg9C8189FC-E1B9-478D-B553-89C495678FF6.thumb.jpeg.e0f6ecb474b130738e8f7b76d63b9ae5.jpegB1DF0D68-6E13-4BA0-9611-B7B7680850CA.thumb.jpeg.7389c75065ea6c90363d932dee8c8e46.jpeg1A7DE5FF-6204-4A89-A91D-FA1FCD4898F9.thumb.jpeg.fec59c6210939892043c52bf33816d05.jpeg5D380DE0-7132-4433-9AB3-B49A619ED6DE.thumb.jpeg.e98a1ba46a97b4528c10b33878c0c3cb.jpeg

They’re all extremely well loved but they are complete. I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on buying them but  the price was right and my 105 was starting to get lonely.:)

That must have been some garage sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

That must have been some garage sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Six comic book dealers in a large garage. There was some great books available.

1 hour ago, JohnH19 said:

Six comic book dealers in a large garage. There was some great books available.

Ha, got to love it, an underground type garage sale put together by some dealers and collectors (to get around the COVID lockdowns), just like in the early days when things were just getting started and these events got too big. 

9 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Ha, got to love it, an underground type garage sale put together by some dealers and collectors (to get around the COVID lockdowns), just like in the early days when things were just getting started and these events got too big. 

Right?!