• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Someone recommended I try buying from mycomicshop. :whistle: I did and for the grade and the price they had this book at I was very pleased with the results. They had this book graded at a 4.5.

scan0304.jpg

Flash on crutches, what a hoot! Pure Silver Age campy goodness!!!

6 hours ago, flashlites said:

Any more 166'S out there?

Okay get the hint ..from my original stack bought off a dealer who was doing direct sales and selling their old junk to get capital in around 1981/2.. 50c. and as someone once said, nobody ever did common thugs and hoods like Carmine. All those years of living in and around Manhattan in the 40s/50s/60s show.

DSC05975.JPG

DSC05976.JPG

DSC05977.JPG

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Okay get the hint ..from my original stack bought off a dealer who was doing direct sales and selling their old junk to get capital in around 1981/2.. 50c. and as someone once said, nobody ever did common thugs and hoods like Carmine. All those years of living in and around Manhattan in the 40s/50s/60s show.

DSC05975.JPG

DSC05976.JPG

DSC05977.JPG

Great caricatures there by Carmine! I love the names John gave them and how Carmine matched their personalities to their names. 

#166 is one of my favorite covers of the run. Actually, there are several that are my favorites in Flash's Silver Age run that I have tried to pick up over the years. This one came from the Metropolis Comics Pennsylvania Dutch acquisition that I purchased from them about 5 years ago. 

2129920817_flash1660002_edited.jpg.372746b2d2aa58408e38184973a2abd9.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

38 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

#166 is one of my favorite covers of the run. Actually, there are several that are my favorites in Flash's Silver Age run that I have tried to pick up over the years. This one came from the Metropolis Comics Pennsylvania Dutch acquisition that I purchased from them about 5 years ago. 

Very nice!!! I love the pedigree tag! I wish MCS would have included something like that with my Fantucchio Flash I purchased a few months back. But since it was not encapsulated I got no documentation :pullhair:

13 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Very nice!!! I love the pedigree tag! I wish MCS would have included something like that with my Fantucchio Flash I purchased a few months back. But since it was not encapsulated I got no documentation :pullhair:

Did they give and explanation why they didn't? I thought they included some kind of authenticity for something like that. Maybe I'm thinking of some other dealer.

3 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Very nice book (at 8.50 obvious) but so nice to see it.

What are Metropolis like to deal with. As I am in Australia postage and sales tax on international makes it hard these days. I saw them at NYCC and talked to one of the owners, some very big dollar books... speaking of Metropolis and big dollar books . that I can't afford, but sure enjoyed seeing ..

601.jpg

30 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Very nice book (at 8.50 obvious) but so nice to see it.

What are Metropolis like to deal with. As I am in Australia postage and sales tax on international makes it hard these days. I saw them at NYCC and talked to one of the owners, some very big dollar books... speaking of Metropolis and big dollar books . that I can't afford, but sure enjoyed seeing ..

601.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I hear the angels singing! :cloud9:

3 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Did they give and explanation why they didn't? I thought they included some kind of authenticity for something like that. Maybe I'm thinking of some other dealer.

I love MCS, I've spent a lot of money there over the years. 2/3rds of my Flash collection I'd be willing to bet is from MCS. So last month in their Flash listings there were several advertised as Fantucchio's. They were not keys or high dollar books but hey there was this one that I needed and it said from the Fantucchio collection. It was not priced any different, I'd have paid a little more if it was, but it was priced like any other in that grade and they had about 6 different copies of this book. So I choose the Fantucchio. But when it came in there was no certificate. I emailed them, they got back to me in about a week and said, no. They bought the lot I guess at auction and these average books will not have any documentation with them. I replied that maybe they could just add a line on the invoice? I wanted to buy more, but they never responded to that inquiry. They must have dozens of these raw books listed across all titles. Now when you see them it says "does not come with certificate" or something to that effect. So at least they changed that part. But what about the history? The provenance? I sort of obsess over that kind of stuff. I guess it comes with being a collector as for these books though well....when I archived it I have it noted.

image.png.9b6ce871655bd29c174cec93a7a8859c.pngimage.png.62a365c93a517c344e242367c9011f79.png

And there it is Flash Fans! The only pedigree book in my collection!

@Terry E. Gibbs I have bought from and sold through Metropolis or their sister auction site, ComicConnect since 2009. I have never had any problems with them. They have been incredibly helpful and good to communicate with. They've pretty much had the same group of people working for them for years. You can trust their in house grading for raw books for the most part. On the few times I've gotten books that I wasn't happy with, it was no problem to send them back and get a refund or credit for another purchase. I think they are little on pricey side, but are willing to deal on some books, but on others they won't give much movement on the price. Some of the books are on consignment on the ComicConnect side, so there, the consigners set their prices and there's nothing they can do about what the consigners are willing to do or not do to sell their books. How they handle international purchases and shipments I don't know, but I'm sure they would be happy to answer any of your questions or concerns.

2 hours ago, Jaylam said:

@Terry E. Gibbs I have bought from and sold through Metropolis or their sister auction site, ComicConnect since 2009. I have never had any problems with them. They have been incredibly helpful and good to communicate with. They've pretty much had the same group of people working for them for years. You can trust their in house grading for raw books for the most part. On the few times I've gotten books that I wasn't happy with, it was no problem to send them back and get a refund or credit for another purchase. I think they are little on pricey side, but are willing to deal on some books, but on others they won't give much movement on the price. Some of the books are on consignment on the ComicConnect side, so there, the consigners set their prices and there's nothing they can do about what the consigners are willing to do or not do to sell their books. How they handle international purchases and shipments I don't know, but I'm sure they would be happy to answer any of your questions or concerns.

Thanks, very helpful. The display at NYCC and also the one from Torpedo from Vegas were very much like a museum display. Stuff you never think you will ever see in the flesh. I was very appreciative of that. I sometimes think US fans don't really realise how incredibly luck they are.

607.jpg

610.jpg

I haven't used Comic Connect in a while, about 6/7 years, but they were OK shipping to the UK., about 3 weeks in total. Cost for slabbed books back then was just under $40, the book only cost $56 at auction, so it depends how bad you want it.  

Shipping on raw books was I thought reasonable, I won 6 war books which cost around $18 to ship.

Insurance in relation to the books value will obviously push up costs, and obviously inflation etc has altered how much you pay.

As stated they're pretty helpful when you have need to contact them, and replied pretty quickly, BC (Before Covid) so, it may be a little different now. (thumbsu

10 hours ago, flashlites said:

image.png

This is something that has always got me. If in the real world, people had super-powers or some of the the fantastic scientific inventions often portrayed in comics, there is no reason for them not to be rich beyond their wildest dreams and have the ability to change the course of history. Take the Weather Wizard for example. If you had some invention capable of controlling the weather, why would you resort to committing petty crimes? The potential as being an instrument for good of the human race (good bye hunger and climate change) or a devastating environmental weapon would make it an instrument of such high demand, it would be unimaginable.