• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,858 posts in this topic

114 is one of the ones I've had trouble getting a decent copy of. It's a blurry pic, but yours looks pretty nice.

I agree. I wish I could find a nice one. I despaired though when those really nice Flashs were sold through Heritage for megabucks in 2007-08. I wonder though if they all went to the same buyer?

???

Here are scans of my Green Lantern crossover issues:

13-06-2011105011PM.jpg

13-06-2011105016PM.jpg

13-06-2011105022PM.jpg

18-06-201155142PM.jpg

I'm wondering though what got into Carmine Infantino and Joe Giella when they drew the cover of #168. It's awful. Were they drunk or something?

???

Edited by Hepcat

Oh man! I've been looking for a #113 as nice as that for 25 years! Where did you get it?

Collecting early Silver Age DCs takes patience but it can admittedly be frustrating.

(shrug)

Here are scans of my Green Lantern crossover issues:

These are great. Thanks for sharing.

Were Carmine infantino and Joe Giella drunk or something when they drew the cover of #168? It's awful.
Maybe four years ago, I was at SDCC and got a sketch from Carmine. While he's drawing, we talked about how his Flash evolved. I was curious about his 80's version, when he returned to the book. He said the change was in the mid-60's as he was pushing the new look DC. So, I'm not sure of the timing without going and digging in my boxes, but it seems that maybe issues around 168 were turning points for his approach on the Flash.

Maybe four years ago, I was at SDCC and got a sketch from Carmine. While he's drawing, we talked about how his Flash evolved. I was curious about his 80's version, when he returned to the book. He said the change was in the mid-60's as he was pushing the new look DC. So, I'm not sure of the timing without going and digging in my boxes, but it seems that maybe issues around 168 were turning points for his approach on the Flash.

Carmine was the guest at the big Toronto Comicon about five years ago and hosted a fan forum. When I asked him about his change in style from a less realistic to a more exaggerated representational one, he answered that he was attending an artists' seminar when he was told that there was no point in an artist striving for realism in illustration since that could be better done by photography. It was this remark that caused an epiphany in his thinking.

I love the cover to 168! What's bad about it?

I don't like the cartoony expressions on the faces of Green Lantern and the Flash. All of a sudden they look bizarre/silly, most unlike the way Carmine had drawn them previously. Look at issue #131 in comparison:

13-06-2011105011PM.jpg

13-06-2011105022PM.jpg

I think Carmine's run of Flash covers from #129 to #153 neatly encapsulated everything that I liked about DC's house style, and then his covers went downhill dramatically

It's interesting that the identical thing happened to Gil Kane's Green Lantern covers at almost the exact same time, They're fabulous from about #19 to #44 - and then they decline rapidly..

:(

Edited by Hepcat

But are you not afraid that this thread will fade into oblivion in the face of the combined indifference of all the Captain America fans and other Marvel zombies on this board? And don't you want to see my scans of Reverse Flash, Captain Cold, Trickster and Mr. Element covers?

???

Edited by Hepcat