• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we know who the member's of the registry are?

105 posts in this topic

I think it would be nice to fill in the gaps for a lot of our top registry place holders. Certainly names are not required, but certainly a little non-descript information about them would be good...where available, and in the general public arena to begin with.

As I was telling Harley Yee about the registry some time ago, his first response was, 'Oh, a pizzing contest'. As he eloquently put it, he thought that it was more for showing off than anything. And for some most certainly, other's out and out competitiveness, and other's just plain old sharing.

But as to who the top boy's and girls are, lets see if we can put a face to the collections.

OK, who have we got...again these are only the ones I know, so please fill in the gaps when you know who they are, or whether their so and so, or such store/website for instance.

Oh and current listings, so feel free to amend if someone moves up..or down the listings.

1. Doug Schmell, -Pedigree comics

4. Mark Arrand, - Coleorecomics (Uk)

7. Mark Zaid, - Esquirecomics

8. Josh Natherson, - Comiclink

11. Tim, our very own tth2 (HK..US??)

12. Rick, another regular on boards 'Korvac Saga'

15. Action1kid, another regular boardy.

18. Erik, 'Rosland', another board member.

20. Sterling Smith, a platinum board member 'Sterling'.

21. Nick Beckett, the one and only 'Flaming_telepath'. (UK)

25. KC, another board member.

28. 1koko, another board member (UK)

35. 'Wordsbestcomics', regular board member, & store owner?.

40. 'Greggy', big time board member.

Josh at #8 - his last name in Nathanson

I'm at 35, Steve Nelsen, not a store owner

Like Casey, I list my books for several reasons: I am proud of my AA 11-17 run but I don't think I posted it out of pride. I enjoy looking at other's books [like GhostTown] and thought others might enjoy some of mine and I wanted to thank some of the people who helped me put it together. I have posted other runs so that people know which books I am missing and can help me out - that is the number one reason my Wolverine 1-189 run is listed.

No.s 6,7,8, Sullypython, Esquirecomics, Comiclink, 2 website owner's and one shop owner. And two of them board contributors...ok, comiclink notify's us when they an auction on, etc, blah.

Minor correction to the above....I'm just an individual collector, not a store owner or website dealer...just another in what seems like an endless number of attorneys that collect comics.

Actually, considering some of the stupid money I paid for some of my bronze books (like spending $700 to get 120 points for example--the registry isn't showing love for BA horror yet), I would definitely get a bigger bang going for the ECs--where spending $2000 gets 2,500 to 3,000 points. Again, the registry is just a side benefit, not the raison d'etre.

I would love a points bonus for finishing...I'm constantly joking on the 25 titles or so that still have no completion. That's right---all of those books...and I've completed exactly one run--a 5 issue run of Doorway to Nightmare--and so has someone else and their set is better than mine! 27_laughing.gif

I'm refueling the tanks for a while so I won't be adding too many books--I'm sure my spot will slip to 50 or so before I get back into it.

Sterling, I got the impression you did quite well out of slabbing your own raw purchases. Which went some way to explaining your rapid collection of great runs.

For most of them, even picking up books in $40-80 bracket, would of cost a small fortune for most of your runs. And then there is the fact you have so many runs! But even still between slabbing your own, and the odd expense pickup, a purchasing holiday isn't a bad thing.

As for you slipping down the rankings...a slim maybe, but most of your runs will stand their ground for you to receive your cetificates this year without any worry!

No.s 6,7,8, Sullypython, Esquirecomics, Comiclink, 2 website owner's and one shop owner. And two of them board contributors...ok, comiclink notify's us when they an auction on, etc, blah.

Minor correction to the above....I'm just an individual collector, not a store owner or website dealer...just another in what seems like an endless number of attorneys that collect comics.

Ok, well firstly, big kudos for the very impressive collection, you've obviously been in the hobby for a fair while.

And another professional, I'm always pleasantly surprised by the numbers who are collectors.

On a side point we have some way to go to regain some celebrities to the book collecting vein of things. I hear of far too many being OO collectors. And we're still ringing the Nicolas Cage bell, long after he sold up. There is one British celeb who's a big Kirby collector, but he'd be totally unheard of state side.

HERE'S THE UP TO DATE LIST

1. Doug Schmell, -Pedigree comics, & board member.

6. Sullypython, regular board member.

7. Mark Zaid, - Esquirecomics, & board member.

8. Josh Nathanson, - Comiclink

35. Steve Nelson,'Wordsbestcomics', regular board member.

38.'Rube', Steve Rubin, board member 'Rube11'.

So what's wrong with attorneys collecting funny books? I make sure I have a big stack of them on my waiting room coffee table for clients to look at. Anyway, just noticed some your sets the other day - good looking stuff! I list mine for the competition, as an easy way to keep track of my collection and in the hopes that others with books might contact me about upgrades or books I still need to fill gaps. My sets are listed here under robz.

Yeah - at the cost of those books now, I would have to have one of those "retirement cases" walk thru the door to afford to upgrade! Sure glad I got started on the cgc stuff early.

I think your quite right. Unless you were particularly fortunate to get books pre CGC, a lot of books have been rendered well out of the range of your typical collectors means.

But still there are many many runs, where guys can accumulate runs for award winning status on the registry without starting a second mortgage to do so.

#38 hi.gif

Steve "Rube" Rubin

Steve, thanks for the update thumbsup2.gif

By the way, that a killer Sgt Fury book to kick off the run with, VERY impressive.

And the best Flash run going bar none. And I know it's a down payment on a new car, but no #105 confused-smiley-013.gifflowerred.gif

My family emigrated to North America when I was 10 years old, and I used comics

to help me learn English. As a result, I do have a certain fondness for them. I now

actively collect them and use the registry for accounting purposes. No competition here,

just nostalgia;-) Strangely enough, I used to buy DC, but now I collect Marvel.

Rosland

hello all...

I am "newforcecomics"...#9 on the registry, if you wish to update the list...I usually post in the GA forumns...

rick

HERE'S THE UP TO DATE LIST 8th MARCH

1. Doug Schmell, -Pedigree comics, & board member.

6. Sullypython, regular board member.

7. Mark Zaid, - Esquirecomics, & board member.

8. Josh Nathanson, - Comiclink

9. Newforcecomics, a regular in the GA part on the boards,'Detective27kid'.

35. Steve Nelson,'Wordsbestcomics', regular board member.

38.'Rube', Steve Rubin, board member 'Rube11'.

I know there are more than a few collectors who must have some stunning collections that do not participate in the registry. It would be interesting to see where the standings would be if they did.

I'd like to see hitman1099's collection from eBay among others.

I take it that hitman1099 is a big buyer on the bay? Come to think of it there are a couple other's that fit the 'always in the bidding line up' description. There's definitely some very significant CGC collections out there that neither participate, or have even heard of the boards or the registry.

My name is Tom, and I'm a funnybookaholic....

I usually hover around the #19 slot.

Hitman has outbid me several times in the past, his collection would probably in the upper stratosphere of points if he was to enter it.