• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we know who the member's of the registry are?

105 posts in this topic

OK, I was browsing through the registry points rankings. And was wondering out of the top 60 or so (those above 30,000 points), who do we (as board members) know who make up the list?

There's a good many names that are recognisable, and good many unknown. But between the ones that are know, and are there significant run's/series of books not represented by board members?

Ok, the top of the list is no surprise. Doug Schmell is known to a lot of people, and his website, arguably know by many more. And his collection holds the bulk of the pacific coast collection, but the big question is, would another collector out there potnetially rank higher?? Tom Brulato's, the Dentist?? Or possibly another collector holding unslabbed books??

For me I only know No.3 next, Colemorecomics.. aka Mark Arrand, another with his own website.

No.s 6,7,8, Sullypython, Esquirecomics, Comiclink, 2 website owner's and one shop owner. And two of them board contributors...ok, comiclink notify's us when they an auction on, etc, blah.

No.s 11, 12, tth2, korvac saga, both individual collector's, and both board contributors... and both holding some very stunning books!

Ok who else is out there, that's registry top 60?

I know there are more than a few collectors who must have some stunning collections that do not participate in the registry. It would be interesting to see where the standings would be if they did.

I'd like to see hitman1099's collection from eBay among others.

I know there are more than a few collectors who must have some stunning collections that do not participate in the registry. It would be interesting to see where the standings would be if they did.

I think your quite right. There's a huge drop off in the points after the first half dozen or so, and then the like of Nick, and Sterling battle it out in the 'under 100,000' point range. We all know thats there's still considerable collections that on shear scale alone would put them in the 7 figure category if they were on the registry. But at the same time, there a plenty of big collectors with private collections, keen for them to stay 'private'.

I take it that hitman1099 is a big buyer on the bay? Come to think of it there are a couple other's that fit the 'always in the bidding line up' description. There's definitely some very significant CGC collections out there that neither participate, or have even heard of the boards or the registry.

I think your quite right. There's a huge drop off in the points after the first half dozen or so, and then the like of Nick, and Sterling battle it out in the 'under 100,000' point range. We all know thats there's still considerable collections that on shear scale alone would put them in the 7 figure category if they were on the registry. But at the same time, there a plenty of big collectors with private collections, keen for them to stay 'private'.

I take it that hitman1099 is a big buyer on the bay? Come to think of it there are a couple other's that fit the 'always in the bidding line up' description. There's definitely some very significant CGC collections out there that neither participate, or have even heard of the boards or the registry.

Well if the dentist slabbed and registrered a couple of his books, amongst others his Action 1 i think he could take the no. 1 position away from Doug insane.gif

Well if the dentist slabbed and registrered a couple of his books, amongst others his Action 1 i think he could take the no. 1 position away from Doug insane.gif

Having a look through the score's for Tec's, and Actions's, and if the Dentist even hit just 9.0 on a few key books, he could very easily knock the SA Marvel super kid off the registry top spot.

Ghost Town has close to 1 million points gossip.gif and you didnt mention him a being #2

Don't forget Doctor Watson. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes I can read the registry just as well yeahok.gif, but do you have any info on thses guys to share??????

Well, a lot of these guys are pretty private and don't want their personal info given out. Some frequent these boards and chat some don't.

hello all...

this thread got me to thinking, I had a few books I wanted to add...but, the database appears to be down? and it won't add the books...has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my connection?

rick

They are updating or upgrading.

Upgrading...does that mean new features???

Would be nice if we could add comments to collections of other's. Like what you can do on the CAF(?) website for art.

Think that would be a nice dimension to make it more personal for all involved, and stregthen the community feel there. As I imagine there are those on the registry but don't participate in the boards.

I think it would be nice to fill in the gaps for a lot of our top registry place holders. Certainly names are not required, but certainly a little non-descript information about them would be good...where available, and in the general public arena to begin with.

As I was telling Harley Yee about the registry some time ago, his first response was, 'Oh, a pizzing contest'. As he eloquently put it, he thought that it was more for showing off than anything. And for some most certainly, other's out and out competitiveness, and other's just plain old sharing.

But as to who the top boy's and girls are, lets see if we can put a face to the collections.

OK, who have we got...again these are only the ones I know, so please fill in the gaps when you know who they are, or whether their so and so, or such store/website for instance.

Oh and current listings, so feel free to amend if someone moves up..or down the listings.

1. Doug Schmell, -Pedigree comics

4. Mark Arrand, - Coleorecomics (Uk)

7. Mark Zaid, - Esquirecomics

8. Josh Natherson, - Comiclink

11. Tim, our very own tth2 (HK..US??)

12. Rick, another regular on boards 'Korvac Saga'

15. Action1kid, another regular boardy.

18. Erik, 'Rosland', another board member.

20. Sterling Smith, a platinum board member 'Sterling'.

21. Nick Beckett, the one and only 'Flaming_telepath'. (UK)

25. KC, another board member.

28. 1koko, another board member (UK)

35. 'Wordsbestcomics', regular board member, & store owner?.

40. 'Greggy', big time board member.

Yep, struggling just to get 100,000 with NO superhero books (well, I have 4). That should be cake if/when I go for the Gaines/EC collection. My reasons for going into the registry:

[*]Showcase my books; encourage participation in my chosen genre...definitely not a pizzing contest.

[*]Show others what issues I need to complete my collection. It's definitely helped. At the same time it's got a privacy feature in the event I'm doing major restructuring and want my books to remain private.

[*]Competition is just fun...and a way for me to participate.

Yep, struggling just to get 100,000 with NO superhero books (well, I have 4). That should be cake if/when I go for the Gaines/EC collection.

Sterling, huge effort so far. You have some of the best completed bronze runs going! But not big point grabber's.

Wonder if they would consider a bonus for completing run's, I know it's been suggested before, but still no dice.

There are some big EC's up on the bay right now, as Execsec is selling off his copies. But that's not a cheap option for hitting the magic 100,000 point mark!

Actually, considering some of the stupid money I paid for some of my bronze books (like spending $700 to get 120 points for example--the registry isn't showing love for BA horror yet), I would definitely get a bigger bang going for the ECs--where spending $2000 gets 2,500 to 3,000 points. Again, the registry is just a side benefit, not the raison d'etre.

I would love a points bonus for finishing...I'm constantly joking on the 25 titles or so that still have no completion. That's right---all of those books...and I've completed exactly one run--a 5 issue run of Doorway to Nightmare--and so has someone else and their set is better than mine! 27_laughing.gif

I'm refueling the tanks for a while so I won't be adding too many books--I'm sure my spot will slip to 50 or so before I get back into it.

Yep, struggling just to get 100,000 with NO superhero books (well, I have 4). That should be cake if/when I go for the Gaines/EC collection. My reasons for going into the registry:

[*]Showcase my books; encourage participation in my chosen genre...definitely not a pizzing contest.

[*]Show others what issues I need to complete my collection. It's definitely helped. At the same time it's got a privacy feature in the event I'm doing major restructuring and want my books to remain private.

[*]Competition is just fun...and a way for me to participate.

I agree with your motives, Sterling. I don't list my books to say "hey, i have a better collection than you" I do it because I'm proud of my collection. I enjoy viewing other's collections and I figure others would enjoy viewing mine. It was Mutant Keys who first convinced me to list my books. I collected the majority of my books over the past couple years when I began upgrading my collection.

Casey