• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Virtual Comicon Convention Hall

221 posts in this topic

I agree with Sal except I think instead of separating out the ages and thinning the browsing crowd, the actual Halls should be seperated among the ages. Plat/Gold/Atom Hall - Silver/Bronze/Copper - Modern/TPBs

Hello,

Whenever you have time would it be possible for you to PM me with the grades and

prices on AMS 16, 23, 31, 34 + 48. Also FF 16 + 39.

I live in Vancouver, Canada and could you tell me approximately how much shipping would be for a couple of books.

Thank you,

Fay thumbsup2.gif

I didn't realize it was actually ending at midnite EST so I just listed another book before reading it's closed. So now what do we do- move everything to our own selling threads?

I sold 19 books, mostly Marvel Westerns.

Thanks Dan, Shin & all for organizing this event! Let's do it again sometime!

Hi Brian,

How are you?

Anymore war books adding to your comic store for the virtual comic-con? I was

looking forward to seeing your booth as one of my top three sellers.

I'll check back and if not I'll keep an eye out for your future sales of any books

you might part with.

Thank you very much,

Fay

E-bay ID: harveylazybones

Hello,

Whenever you have time would it be possible for you to PM me with the grades and

I live in Vancouver, Canada and could you tell me approximately how much shipping would be for a couple of books.

Thank you,

Fay thumbsup2.gif

You live in Burnaby makepoint.gif

Hello,

Thank you,

Fay thumbsup2.gif

You live in Burnaby makepoint.gif

Yes.. Greggy would deliver for free.. but expect a home cooked meal and a date tongue.gif

Once again, thanks to those who put this together. Also, thank you to those who purchased something. I thought it was great! I am looking forward to the next event. I will be sure to have a good variety of books for then!

To everyone who had a booth... good job! I think a new standard has been set for selling and that is a great thing!

John thumbsup2.gif

I had a good time. I sold comics I did not expect to sell and the surprise was pleasant. Twice on two different books two people wanted the same one (very disconcerting to have say "someone is looking at it" when it's virtual).

Overall a good night. But being on the West Coast I would prefer longer hours. Maybe an earlier start also like a real one-day, some sort of 10-10 thing.

What would have been really cool is a chat room on top of it all...

Well I bought a nice run of Nick Furys, PMed the seller the second the board's internal clock showed it as 7.00 PM EST... Of course this meant I had to try and stay awake as it was already 1AM my time crazy.gif

If the con had started later I wouldn't have been able to participate..as of now it was just feasible.

I liked the idea that most has already set up their booth about a half an hour before opening time. I had a look around and prepared PMs to send to sellers with stuff that interested me, once the thing started (or the prices came up) I sent out the PMs.

Having multiple monitors helped a lot, as I could use one to constantly refresh the con-page and use the others to send PMs thumbsup2.gif

Never been to a real con before in my life, so this was a lot of fun. Also liked that a lot of people went to a lot of trouble in designing a banner or logo for their store.

This means it's not about buying or selling, but about having fun and interacting with other collectors.

Kudos to the organizers for a job well done 893applaud-thumb.gif

VCC Results for Jive: Didn't sell anything, didn't even get a sniff, but I just had a couple of GA items, so I'm not entirely surprised. I was a little surprised that the 5 high grade books I wanted from Namisgr were still around at about 10 pm EST, so I sent him a PM to take advantage of his 20% off discount.

All in all, the VCC went as I thought it would; better for buyers then sellers.

Some suggestions for next time:

1). let's really get the word out...send a email to comicbookconventions.com, post a link in the ebay message boards, etc to get some new people to sign up and participate. We can't rely on a few dozen Forumites to grow this thing....we need new blood to come in, otherwise it becomes an endeavor of Forumites reselling the same books to one another over and over. We especially need new buying blood.

2). I love the idea of 2-3 seperate halls for Platinum/Gold/Silver, Bronze/Copper/Moderns, and TPBs/Busts/Hardcovers, etc. Would reduce the bandwidth problem and make things easier for buyers to find.

3). It certainly should move to a Sunday afternoon-to-evening Format. More people are likely to "drop in" on a Sunday.

4). Maybe have a seperate "special guest" thread. You know, maybe Steve Borock can volunteer to appear for 2 hours to answer questions about CGC and the certification process. As Forumites, having the Head Grader at CGC stop in on a thread is no big deal for us, but it might well be for someone who has never participated in the Forum. Or maybe we can find some other hobby "heavyweight" (artist, writer, editor, dealer, etc) in his own thread fielding questions from Con participants. This would be especially useful in getting new people to check out the VCC.

Also, a huge thanks to sckao for all his help. God bless the volunteers! thumbsup2.gif

I thought this was a great idea, and overall it was well executed. We should definitely be doing this a couple of times a year.

The thumbnails direction was critical, and it definitely kept things manageable.

Lemme know when the next one is! Hopefully, I'll have more stuff to sell.

Shep

I think it was a great idea, but I'm surprised that more didn't sell. I'm not in the market to buy anything but specific GA books, but there was tons here that I thought would sell with no problem. Why not? These prices were better than eBay in many cases.

In my case I had friends over and couldn't watch my "stand" and didn't have time to buy. Next time definately. smile.gif

I thought it worked out well...a few suggestions for next time:

- schedule it well ahead of time and get the word out;

- change the timeframe, something like Sat 7 PM EST through Sun midnight PST, no reason NOT to make it longer than 5 hours. In the past, conventional logic was that the best time for your ebay auctions to end was Sunday night. Heritage runs their auctions on Sunday night...not without reason I'm sure. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

- have Arch set up a separate board area with separate forums for the different ages.

Other suggestions are for sellers:

- list grades for your books (prices too);

- thumbnails are great, but having dozens of thumbnails bunched together followed by a big list of those books made it hard to look over. The booths that looked best had groups of 5-10 thumbnails followed by the list of those books with grades/prices.

- have your books ready to go from the start. I know a lot of sellers indicated they were going to "add books later", but there was no way to know when that happened without having to review the entire thread again. If separate boards are set up, it would be best if each seller had their own thread and added posts to their thread with new books, instead of editing their post.

Thanks to the organizers! thumbsup2.gif

How about Five threads, Silver, Gold, Bronze, Modern, and Art/Misc? Let's do this every Saturday and Sunday(or twice a month). Starting Early and run it all day so folks overseas can get in on the fun. A 6AM to 12 AM/midnight (18 hours). That pretty much let's everyone on the map buy and sell. I had a good time and hope we can this regularly.....I like the idea of posting my stuff and letting everyone see what I have ahead of time. I waited until we opened the booth to start selling. Even if I didn't wait it's actually OK.. We all know that Harley Yee runs around the day before the cons buying up eveything in sight!

Let's do is again! Let's do it often.

Thanks to the organizers!

hail.gif

I really enjoyed it, a lot!

Now, a couple of things:

1-Why do we need to sperate the ages? Doesnt make sense to me and it seems to take away from the whole convention atmosphere we are trying to imitate. Leave all the books in the same place and here is why. I really only collect late silver and early bronze. However, it doesnt mean that I dont like looking at or possibly even buying a nice GA or CA/MA book. The thing is, if the Con is spilt into sections, I wont even look in the other places. I lose and the guys with booths lose too.

2-Keep everything in one thread. I liked how everything was in the one "Hall" so to speak. I browsed a lot of people booths that if they had an individual booth, i might not have even looked at. Put it another way, if you had the choice of looking at some of my books or at Nik's, be honest, you arent even going to hover your curor over my link, unless it was to get your cursor to where Nik's books are. Think about it.

3-Maybe do this thing every 6 weeks or so. Heck, once a month wouldnt be bad, but i can see myself spending myself stoopid if it was that often.

4-Be careful about opening this thing up to outsiders. When lots of people come in, it is harder for us to control the craap and schiesters that might come with it.

5-A seperate, Con viewable only, section of the boards is a great idea. You only have access a few days before, and a few days after, then it disappears until the next one.

imho, this was a great idea and a great time. Cant wait for it to happen again. Well, my wallet can wait, but, oh well. headbang.gif

I was able to pick up a book ive wanted for a good while and there were other books I would have liked to have picked up too.