• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some interesting general info about Edgar Church...

173 posts in this topic

This is taken from his ebay listing:

In closing, I want to brag a little. Mile High Comics has been in business for over 37 years under my personal ownership. During those many decades that we've been in the business our team of seasoned professionals been chosen to ship over one hundred million dollars in back issue comics and magazines, to satisfied collectors all around the world."

Would that make him America's # 1 Comic Book Dealer (excluding auction houses like Heritage which stomp out the competition)?

STEVE

I'm not so sure Heritage exceeds Chuck's -- even if you include original art. Anyone got the numbers?

OT: Can someone tell me what the earliest known Church book is? Actually, there may be two questions: (1) what is the earliest known book he bought off the rack, and (2) what is the earliest known book he bought second-hand?

Adam, maybe you know the answers to these questions?

Since I barely dip my collecting toes into the 30s milieu that's not a question I can answer offhand. I did check Pat's first CBM article and he lists early books like More Fun 19 and New Adventure 19. Early second hands included More Fun 17 and Magic 10.

We know that most if not all of the earliest books that Church bought firsthand were coded. To my knowledge, the earliest coded Church Adventure is #18, dated August 1937:

1473453-NewAdv.18%28MH%29%282%29.jpg

Does anyone know of a coded book that is earlier than August 1937? The Church Detective #2, from April 1937 has a solitary "D", rather than the typical date code, so it may be one of the secondhand books.

Years ago Redbeard in Nevada sold books the same way. Once he sold his $$ amount, he closed the vault. Not sure if he does that anymore? I did buy some books from him one year that way.

So THAT'S where got all those lovelies from? hi.gif

We know that most if not all of the earliest books that Church bought firsthand were coded. To my knowledge, the earliest coded Church Adventure is #18, dated August 1937:

Does anyone know of a coded book that is earlier than August 1937? The Church Detective #2, from April 1937 has a solitary "D", rather than the typical date code, so it may be one of the secondhand books.

That book is insane! Those colors are not to be believed! hail.gif

Arty, my understanding is that those are books Church bought second-hand. Do you have any different understanding? Do either of those books have date codes on them?

I think they are 2nd-hand copies. Only have a scan of #14 and it has no markings.

Mile high's 1977 catalog has also #12 and #13. Low grades (G and F) so they must be bought 2nd hand.

Arty, my understanding is that those are books Church bought second-hand. Do you have any different understanding? Do either of those books have date codes on them?

I think they are 2nd-hand copies. Only have a scan of #14 and it has no markings.

Mile high's 1977 catalog has also #12 and #13. Low grades (G and F) so they must be bought 2nd hand.

I have Church Adventures that precede #18, but they do not have the coding.

OT: Can someone tell me what the earliest known Church book is? Actually, there may be two questions: (1) what is the earliest known book he bought off the rack, and (2) what is the earliest known book he bought second-hand?

Adam, maybe you know the answers to these questions?

Very similar questions were asked by another collector in CBM #6.

Dear Editor,

I still have some unanswered questions on "mile highs". When did they start? I know some "mile highs" were purchased used, which ones? Things appear to be consistent after march 1937 so when did they start for Famous Funnies, More Fun , New Comics, Comic Magazine, Funny Picture Stories, Detective, etc.

Unfortunately, Gary's answer is less accurate than Pat's.

And the "young" collector from 1991? Jon Berk.

Also recall we are talking about a different time here: Fewer collectors, books not worth so much, and the money he spent was a lot to spend on comics at the time.

????

Does anyone except a collector buy 18000+ comics for a lot of money and never read them?

I'm even starting to think he was the first "modern" comic collector. He didn't buy them to read but just to keep.

I was talking about Chuck here, not E.C. Saying that although people get after him for what he spent (ie: spent too little 'ripped them off') that you have to look at that amount in light of the value of the $ at the time and the amount Chuck had to spend. From all accounts he was pretty broke at the time.

That book is insane! Those colors are not to be believed! hail.gif

Thanks Bill. In my opinion, nothing beats a Church pre-hero DC, especially one with a Flessel cover.

Can't argue with you there Peter.

Peter,

I showed your scan of New Adventure #18 to Creig Flessel this afternoon and his eyes lit up. He told me that he drew cover that because surfing was beginning to become popularized (and romanticized) on the mainland due to Duke Kahanamoku and Johnny Weissmuller. He said that years later, a comic collector who was also a surfer told him that he was pleased that Creig drew the kid in a correct, classic surfing pose. Creig kind of chuckled as if to say that he didn't realize he was doing it right; he just got lucky.

Lots of great stories like that today. I'm going to type up a long report on our visit with Creig Flessel this weekend. cloud9.gif

I wonder if Church had obsessive compulsive disorder?

Very interesting question, Vince. We know a lot about his comic book collection, but precious little about the man.

Comic collectors would probably make a very interesting study for professionals. I was speaking to a long-time collector/dealer the other night, and we talked at length about a very well-known personality in the hobby whom we perceived as being pathological.

Also, it's been my professional experience that individuals who think someone is "out to get them" have a guilty conscience from their past misdeeds.

STEVE

Would that make him America's # 1 Comic Book Dealer (excluding auction houses like Heritage which stomp out the competition)?

STEVE

Hey, is that another unprovoked dig at Metropolis by Steve Carey? You know, I think it is.

S

Now Stephen, what would make you think that?

STEVE