• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was very your first Golden Age book, and where did you get it?

57 posts in this topic

Superman #37 in Fine condition, purchased from Dave Smith at Fantasy Illustrated in Garden Grove, CA.(Dave has since relocated to the Seattle area). I was only buying current comics at the time, but one day Dave got in the Supes #37 and showed it to me. I didn't buy it that day, but a week later decided I had to have it. I took a bus to his shop, but he had all his books boxed up for the SD Con. We plowed through the boxes and found the book. At the time, I thought $30 was a lot of money for a comic, but I bought it anyway. A week later I picked up an Action #128, and I've been hooked(or maybe addicted is a better word) ever since.

How about you guys?

When I was younger I used to bid on items through the Collectors Showcase auction catalogue so I am not sure exactly what was my virgin GA but I would venture to guess that it was Captain America #55... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

boy commandos 29 in VF, got off of eBay. laugh.gif please see attachment, or somebody please host it for conveinence wink.gif

Nice book supa...did you notice how all four guns are pointed at the guy in the green shirt...guess they really really don't like him... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

223397-Boy_Commandos_29.jpg

All-Winners 17, purchased for $10 in a now-defunct comic shop on the West Side in Manhattan. I was really excited until I opened it up and found out that 3 centerfolds were missing. I was so angry that I went and bought Amazing Fantasy 15 (in a restored good plus condition), Spiderman 1 (in unrestored VG) and DD 1 (in VF) for the ridiculously high price of $215, at a Phil Seuling convention the following Sunday at the Roosevelt Hotel. Those days are long gone, I'm afraid.

Superman #39 in Fine condition, bought through mail order perhaps 15 years ago for $30 on a whim. Didn't buy another for several years, but first the Gerber Photojournals, then the Comic Heaven auctions, and finally eBay pulled me right in.

A mid-range Jumbo, maybe 94 or 96 in maybe Fine condition in Los Angeles in the early 1980's. I bought it because of it's connection to the Ramones' song "Sheena is a Punk Rocker." I paid about $20 for the book. The next month I bought another one from the same dealer. I still have both those books though nowadays I prefer Matt Baker's Sky Girl to Sheena.

Blue Beetle #1. I bought it from the Quest Comic Shop in Carrollton, Georgia (a Store that I later bought with a friend of mine.) It's in Good Condition, would rate VG if not for a little Hunk that's missing from the front cover. I paid a whopping 10 bucks for it... 893applaud-thumb.gif

-Joe

My first golden age book was an unusual find. In 1975 I bought an orange box filled with miscellaneous golden age books from a guy at the Thunderbird drive in flea market in Ft. Lauderdale FL. Almost all Marvel Mystery's with a couple Subby's and Human Torch issues. He was selling books right out of the trunk of his car. I still have the MM issues but sold the others long ago.

Superman #37, Blackhawk, Captain Marvel, Plastic Man, Batman 21, Captain America #55, Boy Commandos 29, Pep Comics #4, Batman #23, All-Winners 17, Superman #39, Batman #19, Blue Beetle #1, and an entire box of Marvel Mystery.

Man I suck, my first GA book was Target Comics Vol 8 Number 1 from Novelty Press circa March 1943. Bought it at a swap meet in Southern California somewhere near Riverside. It features no Superheroes at all. The most appealng thing about it was the really clean Nina Albright cover art. And believe it or not I had it graded by CGC.. It came back as a blue top FN+ 6.5 with no notes on the label.

I got it because it came as a set with a Target Comics Vol 6 Number 1 that has a pretty decent Target and the Targeteers war cover and story. That issue I still have as well, but it is in pretty beat up shape. If anyone would actually like to see these issues I would gladly scan and post them.

grin.gif