• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was very your first Golden Age book, and where did you get it?

57 posts in this topic

I'll have to go in the TIME TUNNEL for this one....

Not exactly sure if it was I that bought it or mom. I think I took the comic over the candy. It was BATMAN #108. Cover has Batman & Robin flying around with jet packs and catching pigeons carring diamonds. I still have the comic. I had older BATMAN comics at the time that were given to me by dad, but this was the first one I bought.

Whiz Comics #12 in Fine. I just loved the great cover with Captain Marvel riding an airplaine engine, and I had to have it! I paid $60 for back in 1988 at Fat Jack's Comicrypt in Philly. I remember the manager at the time being astounded that a 16 year old kid would be interested in a Golden Age book. He and I became good friends and remain so to this day.

My first Golden Age book was EC's CrimesuspenseStories #22 (I think that was the issue, the cover has a guy choking a woman with an oar across the throat in a boat) in Fair condition, which I bought from an antique shop for $3 (talked him down from the $5 he wanted) about 12 years ago, which I sold on ebay for $12 or so last year.

Mine was a ratty copy of Action Comics #28 that I bought from a magazine store/comic dealer back in the mid-1970s for about $25. I think I bought it because it was the oldest comic they had that I could afford.

I still have it.

Captain America Comics #47, missing centerfold, purchased for $20.00 in 1992 outside of Phoenix in some small comic book store. I still have it! That book started me on a long trip of collecting Golden Age WWII covers, especially Captain America and other Timely titles.

I got my first golden age book when I was 12 or 13. It was around 1986 and I got an Action Comics #88 (I'm guessing F/VF condition) from a comic shop near my hometown. I paid $80 for it, which was a fortune for me. That was several months worth of allowance money. It was encapsulated in mylar and was filled with inert gas, I think. My parents thought I was crazy to spend so much on a comic I couldn't even open up and look at, but I loved it. I still have it to this day. Today I still collect as many "big logo" Actions as I can afford to pick up, but I've only been getting serious about it in the last year or so.

The shop was in Norman, OK and called Metropolis Comics at the time. It was chock full of golden age stuff and I was too young to realize just how special a place it was until years later when I went to other comic shops who didn't have squat when it came to golden age. Not too long ago I was talking to the guy who owned that place back then, (Bart Bush in case anybody knows of him) and he was recounting those days when he sold a run of Action 30-40 for $30 a piece. *sigh*

My first was a Hyper-Mystery #2 893whatthe.gif yes, Hyper-Mystery #2 in good condition. I placed one of those free ads in CBG about 7 years ago and someone called me and offered it to me for about $40.00 if memory serves. Why a hm#2-I just liked the title. Sold it a few years ago on e-bay. Probably one of the most obsure titles out there.

I'm kinda fuzzy on the dates, 'cause it was 25+ years ago... but it was either:

- The World's Finest #41 and the Doc Savage Comics #9 that I got in a trade with another kid in 6th grade; both are still in my collection, both are moderately beat (in the G/G+ range), and I got both for a short stack of "new" comics. The GA books belonged to a friend of mine's dad. He had others, and I wanted 'em, but I knew the friend would probably catch hell for trading me any of them!

OR

- The coverless Weird Fantasy #18 given to me by Erik Larsen's dad in 1977. Erik and I have been friends since 5th grade, and his dad had a helluva GA collection. (That collection was vaporized when Erik's house burned to the ground in the Oakland Hills fire of 1991.) I've still got that Weird Fantasy, and it's a very nice copy for a coverless book...

Batman I think it was issue 21 the yellow cover with the Batmobile. grin.gif

Actually, Rip, I think the ish you're referring to is #20, with the first cover appearance of the Batmobile...? I have that issue in about FN, and it's a great cover...

This thread is definitely worth a bumpit.gif

My memories are running together in regards to my first GA book. I think the first one was a Nedor, EXCITING COMICS perhaps, from around 1940. I remember it had Doc Strange or someone like that on the cover. It only cost me ten bucks, and I remember it was in a really old and yellowed bag, so it must not have generated much interest. My other early GA memories are a copy of DETECTIVE #170 in VG+ for the princely sum of six dollars(the dealer had other Detective's, but this was the only one I could afford), and a Fine appearance BATMAN #39 with brittle pages for 15 dollars. All of these books were purchased at the late, lamented Comic Investments on Bustleton Avenue in Northeast Philly.

I've only been collecting GA books for a couple of years now. I believe the first purchase I made (on Ebay) was Batman #37 and #40. Both in VG condition. A week later I bought a Sensation Comics #69 in VF condition, and an Action Comics #120, that graded out as FN+.

Had some beater pre-codes in my midteens that I purchased at a local flea market...nothing too fancy, a couple of Ace books and I think one issue of Tomb of Terror (a wonder that such books, even in ratty shape, ended up at that flea market which was largely a fresh produce market).

My first goldenage book that I have a distinct memory about was a reprint edition of the Tales from the Crypt #33. Read that sucker to shreds. And it's still my favorite comic ever.

From my cold dead hands, baby!

talesfromthecrypt33.jpg

Using the larger definition of GA to include pre-code/Atom age books - my first books would have been a couple of ratty Atlas horror books I bought a Cleveland con in 1970 when I was around 11. I think they were a quarter apiece. Years later, when I got the Gerber guide, i recognized Adventures into Weird Worlds #24 as one I had had and knew I had to find a copy. At the same con I picked up some early 50s Black Hawks as well. Sometime in the next year or so I bought 3 GA books from a fellow collector who had found a Green Lantern #38, an All-Flash #14 and some forgotten coverless DC in an antique shop and doubled his money by selling the lot to me for $10.

My first GA book was Capt. Marvel 76 bought around 1978 for $5. I got it at my local comic store. They mostly sold SA and (what were then) modern books, but they had a small box of GA in back...

It was way cool!

Mine was A superman 18 that I bought mail order from the great Howard Rogofsky back in '66. I believe I paid 5.00 and it was a beauty. The same catalog I got that out of had Action #1 for 50.00/

I bought a really nice Superman #18 from Mark Wilson in San Diego, back when the con was in the old convention center. Unfortunately, I sold it to finance a Mile High Action purchase. I have a mid-grade copy now, and it remains one of my favorite Superman covers.

I made my first comic purchase back in 1977 from a small shop in Asheville, North Carolina named Super Giant Comics.The owner of the shop was Dennis Howard.

Dennis was a mountain of knowledge when it came to early comics.

I asked him what was the best super hero comic I could get for $20.00 and some change.He had just recieved a collection of EC and Fawcett comics.I was able to buy eight Captain Marvels for my $20.00.All comics were in vg-fine condition.

The thing that I remember most is he had three copies of the first appearance of Robin in Detective Comics for $65.00 each and a bound volume of the first 25 issues of All Flash for $100.00.

Those were the days.

Dennis passed away three years ago and there is nolonger a comic shop in my area.He was loud and gruff with people that were just lookers but he was the man when you wanted to learn about the history of comics and caring for them.

I miss you DW!