• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do most collectors have undercopies of certain issues and why?

35 posts in this topic

I've noticied so many board members or other collectors talk about their undercopy

or undercopies of certain books and I was wondering if this is intentional or do you just come by them through different deals or trades throughout the years? I know there are some covers that I love and own three copies for some reason I can't really explain but it sounds like many of you have several undercopies of many issues.

One other question if you will forgive my ignorance, I've heard this expression just about everyday on these boards and what exactly is an "uber" HG copy?

Thank you,

Fay

"uber" HG copy

see 10.0 gossip.gif

I have doubles of certain books, some I guess could be considered undercopies 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The term uber HG is used for, pending on the year, best existing copy or anything above a 9.4, for me anyways.

"uber" HG copy

see 10.0 gossip.gif

Thank you!! I would never have guessed that.

thumbsup2.gif

The term uber HG is used for, pending on the year, best existing copy or anything above a 9.4, for me anyways.

Thanks Nik,

I had a feeling it had something to do with"highest graded copy" or "best existing copy", but none of those intinials added up to UBER. I didn't think it would add up to Upper Best Existing Recorded, 893whatthe.gif

I've noticied so many board members or other collectors talk about their undercopy or undercopies of certain books and I was wondering if this is intentional or do you just come by them through different deals or trades throughout the years? I know there are some covers that I love and own three copies for some reason I can't really explain but it sounds like many of you have several undercopies of many issues.

I usually have undercopies when buying better copies of certain issues I like in my collection.

One other question if you will forgive my ignorance, I've heard this expression just about everyday on these boards and what exactly is an "uber" HG copy?

An "uber" HG comic is a phrase used by a collector for any comic in VF or above in their collection while describing it to others... insane.gifgrin.gif

Jim

I have undercopies when, the PQ is better than the higher grade, they are from a pedigree, or have any kind of significance like that. Occasionaly I will have books that have been recently upgraded and just haven't sold the lower grade yet.

I have a few "undercopies". Some are just of books that I have picked up (when i worked on runs) when i would buy a bulk lot off of ebay or go to a show where I forgot/missed I had that book.

Other times I bought a book raw and then later bought a HG copy slabbed, like my GL 87 we have talked about.

Then, in other cases, it revolves around either loving a cover (Thor 148 which I have none of now) or in the case of Avengers 93, having a F/VF copy i bought when I was young, but wanted to upgrade and I wont get rid of the undercopy for any amount of money (well, stoopid money of course)

I didnt know UBER HG was an acronym 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Always it just refered to ultra HG books.

Arex

sign-funnypost.gif... yeah, "just a few".

NICE collection! hail.gif I have the original cover art for Aquaman #8 from the 1994 series and I buy every copy of that issue that I can find too!

Granted, it not a Bronze-Age beaut like that, but it's still cloud9.gif for me...

For whatever reason I enjoy collecting multiple copies of most of my books. Just a greed thing I guess. If I like one, why not ten? Of course there are limits, like things you can't find 10 copies of. In a pinch you can use them for trade bait or cash.

As Jello Biafra said, "California uber alles!" grin.gif

uber = over, greater, better . . . not necessarily the best.

Most of us have so many damn books, we can't even keep track of them. Only when we see two copies side-by-side, do we designate one as our "under" copy and one as our "uber" copy. hi.gif

sign-funnypost.gif... yeah, "just a few".

NICE collection! hail.gif I have the original cover art for Aquaman #8 from the 1994 series and I buy every copy of that issue that I can find too!

Granted, it not a Bronze-Age beaut like that, but it's still cloud9.gif for me...

I always loved the cover to Jungle Action 23 so when the opportunity came up I jumped on it. Now I have the same obsession. BTW, Aquaman #8 cover is pretty cool too.

As Jello Biafra said, "California uber alles!" grin.gif

uber = over, greater, better . . . not necessarily the best.

Most of us have so many damn books, we can't even keep track of them. Only when we see two copies side-by-side, do we designate one as our "under" copy and one as our "uber" copy. hi.gif

ubermensch, the greatest German superhero of all time

sumo.gif