• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Help With DVD-R Discs

25 posts in this topic

I've been using HP DVD+R for over a year now with my Sony DVD burner. No problems, no coasters.

Just unwrapped a spindle of Maxell DVD-Rs and the first 5 discs are coasters. About 10% in, Nero stops and says burn failed. I've tried it on a few different discs with the same bad results.

So, am I sitting on a useless spindle of 45 Maxell DVDs? 893censored-thumb.gif

Is it because I had DVD+Rs before and now have DVD-Rs? I thought my DVD would be able to handle either.

Is there anything I can do to change settings or anything?

What can I do to ensure that I won't go out and buy another useless stack of DVD discs?

See if you can google up your DVD burner's model number and it's media compatibility. thumbsup2.gif

Recordable DVD Media Format Guide

"Is it true there are compatibility problems with recordable DVD media formats?

Yes. A big problem is that none of the writable formats are fully compatible with each other or even with existing drives and players. In other words, a DVD+R/RW drive can't write a DVD-R or DVD-RW disc, and vice versa (unless it's a combo drive that writes both formats). As time goes by the different formats are becoming more compatible and more intermixed."

See if you can google up your DVD burner's model number and it's media compatibility. thumbsup2.gif

Recordable DVD Media Format Guide

According to several sites I found, my DVD should be able to record + and -R formats:

" Sony DRU-800A - The drive can burn at 16X speed, both DVD+R and DVD-R media. With RW media, the supported speeds are 8X and 6X for the DVD+R and DVD-R respectively. The most important feature is DVD-R DL recording at 4X. DVD+R DL is also at the same speed."

confused-smiley-013.gif

I've seen cases where simply reading the compatibility is not enough. Certain brands of disks have been known to cause problems with certain readers. Try a search to see if there are compat problems with your brand of disks and reader.

Also....have you upgraded your DVD firmware lately? Some known issues are addressed in latest firmware releases. I had a writing problem that was addressed with a firmware update. Investigate this especially if your hardware is more than 6 months old...more than likely there's an update that may benefit you.

Since it burns 10% before failing it might be Nero and not the media. You could try lowering the burn speed down to 2X, and make sure you have enough available HD space for cache writing. Or maybe try some other burning software to see if that works.

DVD+ discs are supposed to be better for storing movie files while DVD- is recomended for storing data files such as computer programs.

Funny thing is that consoles like X-box & Playstation2 will only support DVD- discs. I have a frien who has a DVD+ burner and its useless for backing up his x-box games.

Maxell makes good discs, so it shouldn't be the media.

Try with another burning software.

Are you copying a disc or burning a file you downloaded? It could be a corrupted file (tho not likely).

I was trying to rip a DVD using DVD Shrink and it kept failing. (I've been using it for years with no problem, so it must be the discs.) Then, I tried a straight copy of a few decoded DVDs that I know are good and the same error kept coming up early in the burn.

My sense is it just doesn't like the -R discs and I was dumb enough to pick up the bundle without reading it closely. I thought I had picked up +R... but didn't bother to bring them back because my drive was supposed to be compatible with both anyway.

I just updated the firmware and I'm going to test it again. Stand by for results. grin.gif

What version of shrink are you using?

Mine is 3.2.0.15

Same version.

But it also dies when I'm just trying to copy a disc in Nero.

My last attempt just failed after the firmware update. I think I just need to go get +R discs. I've never had any problems burning DVDs until now and the only thing that has changed is the discs.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I see you said you were trying to rip a DVD and it was failing. You were using the Sony drive to do the ripping? If so, I'm leaning towards it being the burner. I've never had good luck with Sony burners myself. If you're in the market for a new one, I'd suggest looking at a Pioneer or a Plextor.

Steve, I have a Panasonic DVD recorder. I used Verbatim discs from Sams and everything was good. I bought a spindle of Maxell +R discs because they were cheaper and about 50% would record and then show disc errors when I tried to play them. I went back to the Verbatim discs and everything worked perfect.

Jeff