• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: More Fun Comics #52... Here's a close-up image. Feedback please?

36 posts in this topic

I STRONGLY advise you to stay away from this seller. I have been contacted repeated times by dissatisfied customers of theirs and it is only a matter of time before I represent someone who decides to sue them.

From my communications with them, hearing from others and reading their auction listings, it is my personal view they are suspect. I would not do business with them no matter if the book they offered was my holy grail.

I STRONGLY advise you to stay away from this seller. I have been contacted repeated times by dissatisfied customers of theirs and it is only a matter of time before I represent someone who decides to sue them.

From my communications with them, hearing from others and reading their auction listings, it is my personal view they are suspect. I would not do business with them no matter if the book they offered was my holy grail.

Sounds like good advice -- thanks for passing on the information.

Ditto! thumbsup2.gif

The tone in the listing sets off red lights.

hello all..

wow, maybe I am blinded by my love for MF 52, but looks every bit a 3.0 to me...

priced too strong, I agree, but it is a decent looking gd/vg to me...ugly spine/roll, but no real distracting "chunks" out, and just some paper loss over the 52...but, I could be wrong...

rick

I definitely agree that the book is overpriced as well. I believe its a $9k-$10k book. I inquired about this book a year ago I believe when they first placed it up on ebay and trying to haggle down the price with them. The best I did was to knock the book down to I believe $11k or $12k, but no time payments. I thought that the price was still strong and I decided to just let it go. I'm glad I did now after hearing all the complaints toward pops.

Ditto! thumbsup2.gif

The tone in the listing sets off red lights.

Do you guys realize this seller was previously known as "Mr GA"? That should be enough to set off alarms right there. Search the board...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rt=all&vc=1

I JUST HAD A BOOK (FUNNY PAGES VOL3 #10) GET A 2.5 WITH MUCH LESS DAMAGE, THIS BOOKS PAGE QUALITY MIGHT BE BETTER, BUT I WONDER ABOUT THAT GRADE. I WOULD WAIT AND TRY TO GET A BETTER GRADE OR A BETTER LOOKING 3.0 THIS BOOK MAKES ME REALLY WONDER ABOUT 'BUMP' AND THE CRITERIA THEY USE, BECAUSE IT SEEMS PRETTY CLEAR THAT THE COVER IS MAYBE TEN SECONDS AWAY FROM BEING DETACHED BY THE STRONG CREASE. BUY THE BOOK NOT THE HOLDER AND SEEK OUT ANOTHE ONE.

JUST MY OPINION

JUST AN FYI. mikep2706 HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS GUY AND CLAIMED THE SLAB WAS MESSED WITH. IN LOOKING AT FEEDBACK THIS BUYER MIKEP2706 HAS A LOT OF GOOD DEALS WITH LESNEYDUDE (CHECK HIS FEEDBACK, MULTIPLE WINS AND GOOD DEALINGS). I'VE DELT WITH LESNEY MYSELF SEVERAL TIMES AND FOUND HIM TO BE NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I WOULD TRUST THAT NEG FEEDBACK AND AVOID THIS GUY. WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE THE BOOK...BUT SO BAD TO TAKE A LOSS LIKE THAT...

The book looks about right for a 3.0 --- BUT, I totally agree, that front cover can and probably will get detached and it won't be a 3.0 no more. But if it's not detached right now, just "weak", I guess CGC is not wrong to call it a 3.0

On an unrelated note, when the seller is talking about known copies, is he talking about Gerber (slabbed and unslabbed) or CGC census numbers? If CGC numbers, that's rather deceptive. I can't imagine there are only 32 known copies of this book. I own the earlier More Fun 45 and there's no reason why that issue, 7 months earlier, wouldn't be just as "rare", I seriously doubt there are only 30-40 known copies of that back given that 2 or 3 of us on this board own it, probably more. Just that nobody cares all that much about #45...

I JUST HAD A BOOK (FUNNY PAGES VOL3 #10) GET A 2.5 WITH MUCH LESS DAMAGE, THIS BOOKS PAGE QUALITY MIGHT BE BETTER, BUT I WONDER ABOUT THAT GRADE. I WOULD WAIT AND TRY TO GET A BETTER GRADE OR A BETTER LOOKING 3.0 THIS BOOK MAKES ME REALLY WONDER ABOUT 'BUMP' AND THE CRITERIA THEY USE, BECAUSE IT SEEMS PRETTY CLEAR THAT THE COVER IS MAYBE TEN SECONDS AWAY FROM BEING DETACHED BY THE STRONG CREASE. BUY THE BOOK NOT THE HOLDER AND SEEK OUT ANOTHE ONE.

JUST MY OPINION

Good advice and welcome to the boards! hi.gif

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAN - TURN OFF THE CAPS!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

capslock.jpg

The book looks about right for a 3.0 --- BUT, I totally agree, that front cover can and probably will get detached and it won't be a 3.0 no more. But if it's not detached right now, just "weak", I guess CGC is not wrong to call it a 3.0

On an unrelated note, when the seller is talking about known copies, is he talking about Gerber (slabbed and unslabbed) or CGC census numbers? If CGC numbers, that's rather deceptive. I can't imagine there are only 32 known copies of this book. I own the earlier More Fun 45 and there's no reason why that issue, 7 months earlier, wouldn't be just as "rare", I seriously doubt there are only 30-40 known copies of that back given that 2 or 3 of us on this board own it, probably more. Just that nobody cares all that much about #45...

Probably talking about the Gerber rating which is perfectly fine. 7 might be pretty accurate rating because if there are maybe half a dozen owned by board members and another 30 or so spread around the U.S. I wouldn't be surprised. This is not a cheap book so I can't imagine that there are too many more copies floating around that most serious collectors/dealers are not aware of.

I was just wondering why #52 would be rarer than 45. If anything, I would have figured 52 would have been kept in larger #s than 45, which is something of a "nothing" issue.

hello all...

I don't think either is "rarer" so to speak, but #52 is surely far more sought after, and has far greater demand than a pre 52 issue...hence, this book is actively bought and sold, and copies change hands a lot more (IMO)...

I have seen probably a dozen copies of 52 for sale in the last 1+ years (because I was actively searching)...have not seen (or better yet, "noticed") a copy of 45 for sale (though, i am sure if I looked I could find)

rick

JUST MY OPINION

Good advice and welcome to the boards! hi.gif

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAN - TURN OFF THE CAPS!!! Christo_pull_hair.gif

capslock.jpg

I AGREE. IT GIVES ME A HEADACHE.

s