• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QUESTION: Recent "Zero FB" eBay/ PayPal Noobie combined S/H ~ WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

18 posts in this topic

OK, I'm not sure where else to post this inquiry... so, I place it here:

As some might know, I'm a PayPal noobie. It's going well, no worries just yet and I'm "Verifed" w/ a score of <4> 893crossfingers-thumb.gif! I'm actually having some decent sales this week -- listed 13 items on Sunday @ 3pm, SOLD 5 as of 11am, today on Tuesday ~ YEA !

Some re-listed slabs and raw B.A/ M.A. comics 893blahblah.gif, but certainly nothing high $$ ... my sales so far this week were the items that I listed as Buy-'Em-Nows.

Currently all were Instant payments, we're looking good there... so, my question is more of an ethical one I guess. Re. a recent "Zero FB", yet "Confirmed" buyer via PayPal. The 1st Buy-It-Now hit and full PayPal was instantly received, then 24hrs. later a 2nd item (yea) to the same buyer and another FULL pmt. In my postings I have an eBay preferance to offer combined S/H for only $0.50 more per lot -- on combined invoices, of course. Now, this new eBayer has paid for BOTH lots separately via PayPal.

So, what should I do -- what might you do? Should I chalk it up as Noobie eBay inexperience and contact the buyer and offer a refund of the extra S/H overage? Should I wait to know the lots were rec'd and then offer the S/H overage as a refund? Should I send 2 separate pkgs (likey not)? Should I combine them, and keep the slight overage to offset the additional PayPal fees and possible risk associated w/ this "Zero FB" buyer? Am I somehow opening myself up to a potential problem/ chargeback?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif... sorry for the long-winded story, but what say you fellow Forumites? Thoughts? Comments? hail.gif

Thanks so much, I certainly appreciate your insight and experiences... - Neal, 'SolitaireOne'

Doesn't PayPal take a bigger cut on two separate transactions, rather than 1 combined? If so, rebate him most of the money for shipping, but not all (assuming you didn't mail the 1st package). Or all of it. I don't know insane.gif

Refund him the shipping cost for the second item as long as you did not ship the first one out

... thumbsup2.gif,..plus rule of thumb for proof against Paypal charge back if customer said he didn't receive the item,..

under $250.00 ship with delivery confirmation,...over $250.00 ship with signature confirmation,..if you follow that rule you will always cover your butt in case of a chargeback,...

I'd just stick the refund in cash in the package with the books along with a nice cover note, and you'll probably have a customer for life. thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif If you do a partial refund through paypal, your paypal fees associated with the refund will be returned to you as well. I'd do it that way, and send an email explaining what you were doing. (I've done this in the past).

<A refund> seems like the right thing to do, and even if it's a bad result, you won't be out too much and you will have done the honorable thing.

Of course, this is exactly what I felt that I'd do... the fair thing for the right reason. angel.gif I was simply fearful of some unexpected tomfoolery or otherwise and was looking for overall forum impressions.

Thank you, I appreciate y'all being the communial voice of my conscience... gossip.gif

I'd just stick the refund in cash in the package with the books along with a nice cover note, and you'll probably have a customer for life. thumbsup2.gif

..I do that too,...it makes the package seem like a birthday present from grandma with that five dollar bill tucked in there,...

Agreed. I sell quite a bit on eBay and this has happened several times to me. Every time I have refunded the excess shipping along with a note explaining why. But here is the weird thing...I've probably done that about 10 times and not ONE SINGLE TIME has one of the buyers sent me an email thanking me or acknowledged the refund in any way! confused-smiley-013.gif

I would refund both payments in full and send an invoice with the items and shipping combined and reduced, along with an email explaining what is happening.

I am assuming these are low $$ sales, so the paypal overhead is significant when you accept two payments versus one.

Combine shipping and refund the overage from one of the auctions. That is what I have done in similar circumstances in the past. I imagine that the buyers appreciate it but to be hones, I've never received a comment or thanks.

I would refund both payments in full and send an invoice with the items and shipping combined and reduced, along with an email explaining what is happening.

I am assuming these are low $$ sales, so the paypal overhead is significant when you accept two payments versus one.

Ok, done.. and DONE! This seemed like the best way -- and I got the extra $.30 transaction fee refunded too! grin.gif Plus, now it's all nice and neat on 1 invoice for Insurance, Tracking or whatever. We should be in good order then... thanks for all the opinions and impressions!

Take care out there...

PS: I'm still waiting for my 'Special Edition' Human Fly Toon Tumbler... poke2.gif

All right... all right, can I bumpit.gif this post anymore?

... and yet I just received this from my buyer re. the refunded S/H overage:

This message was sent after the listing closed.

That is excellent. I thank you for the heads-up on that. You are in my favorite sellers list! Thanks for such a sweet transaction and I can't wait for the comics.

-Take care

Man that's sweet, I'm finally someone's "Favorite Seller" ~~ ROCK! 893applaud-thumb.gif

"Oh joy... rapture!" -- The Scarecrow, in The Wizard of OZ.