• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Anyone live or work near Washington Street in NYC?

25 posts in this topic

I have ancestors that lived at 801 Washington Street in NYC in 1880. I think it's on the West Side of Manhattan. I'm trying to obtain a digital photo of whatever building is at that address today for a family history website. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jeff

I googled Washington Street, and found a phone # for a business that occupies 803 & 805 Washington Street. I called them and asked what occupies 801 and got a big "I don't know".

It's right next door. foreheadslap.gif

I googled Washington Street, and found a phone # for a business that occupies 803 & 805 Washington Street. I called them and asked what occupies 801 and got a big "I don't know".

It's right next door. foreheadslap.gif

In New Yawk parlance, "What am I, a roadmap!" makepoint.gif

I suspect the actual building no longer exists.

For example, if they knocked down 3 buildings to build one newer bigger one, the new address might not be 801, it might be 799. Or it could be the mailbox. My apartment building was most likely several lots at one point. The mailbox on the corner actually has its own address, the odd number in between my building's odd number and the next building, which is across the street.

Based on itnernet searches, it seems like the building no longer exists. I did a reverse phone # look-up using that address and no phone numbers were listed for that address, so, unless it is a single family home with just an unlisted number, I don't think it's there anymore.

I hope I'm wrong, it's sad how much NYC history has been destroyed by fire and the wrecking ball. There is barely anything left from colonial New York/New Amsterdam (I don't think there's anything Dutch left in Manhattan, though there are some homes a bit upstate) and while there's still plenty from the post civil war period, it's sad when it goes. This town has had a terrible record of preserving its history, heck 40 years ago they were going to tear down Fraunces Tavern where george Washington gave his farewell speach to his officers at the end of the war, that's sick!

Any chance it might now be 799-801 Washington Street? This article may be of interest.

799-801 is mentioned towards the end.

A VERY cool article. Sounds like the building my family lived in is gone, replaced by another in 1910. It would still be very cool to get a pic of that building for the site. Thanks for posting that link. It gives me a real flavor of the neighborhood. thumbsup2.gif

Any chance it might now be 799-801 Washington Street? This article may be of interest.

799-801 is mentioned towards the end.

A VERY cool article. Sounds like the building my family lived in is gone, replaced by another in 1910. It would still be very cool to get a pic of that building for the site. Thanks for posting that link. It gives me a real flavor of the neighborhood. thumbsup2.gif

Have you tried Google Earthing it yet?

Very cool! thumbsup2.gif

Now if I can just get a pic of the facade of the building. Having been built in 1910, it's probably pretty cool looking. Looking at that Google Earth shot, I can't help but imagine those paved streets as dirt roads, with horses and carriages on them, women in big hats, etc.

My great-great-great-grandparents, John and Mary Walsh lived at that address. They were married in 1852, and had six children. Around the turn of the century, John had died, and Mary sold the house. She distributed the money among her children, and then lived the rest of her days in a rest home.

If that real estate had just managed to stay in the family you'd never have to work again... that area has gotten very hip and hot in recent years.

Mostly for the gay population that live in the area.