• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Percentage of Your Net Worth is in Comics/Collectibles?

What % of your net worth is in comics/collectibles?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. What % of your net worth is in comics/collectibles?

21 posts in this topic

Define "other collectibles".

Antiques, fine art, sports and non-sports cards, stamps, autographs, Hollywood memorabilia, numismatics, vintage automobiles, Americana, etc. I figure if it's valuable enough to register as a part of your net worth, you'll know whether to include it or not...

Define "other collectibles".

Antiques, fine art, sports and non-sports cards, stamps, autographs, Hollywood memorabilia, numismatics, vintage automobiles, Americana, etc. I figure if it's valuable enough to register as a part of your net worth, you'll know whether to include it or not...

How about movie DVD's, I've got about a thousand of those! foreheadslap.gif

Nobody is going to give you an honest answer.

Here's my honest answer:

Outside of home equity, my 401k and whatever back vacation days/sick days, etc. I am owed when I leave my job (about $10K worth), almost 100% of my net worth is tied up in collectibles. That's because I just burned through six figures in liquid assets buying my home and am broke.

About 10% of my net worth is in comicbooks, but that is only because the wife just doesn't get it. Although, about 20% of my net worth is tied up in her BMW, purses, shoes, sunglasses, diamonds, etc. foreheadslap.gif

About 10% of my net worth is in comicbooks, but that is only because the wife just doesn't get it. Although, about 20% of my net worth is tied up in her BMW, purses, shoes, sunglasses, diamonds, etc. foreheadslap.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Nobody is going to give you an honest answer.

Here's my honest answer:

Outside of home equity, my 401k and whatever back vacation days/sick days, etc. I am owed when I leave my job (about $10K worth), almost 100% of my net worth is tied up in collectibles. That's because I just burned through six figures in liquid assets buying my home and am broke.

So you're at about 33% collectible net worth. thumbsup2.gif

A very rough order of magnitude check puts me at 10-12% collectible value net worth.

I really have no clue what my collections are worth these days. confused-smiley-013.gif.

Of course if you consider what I paid for the collectibles over the years, it would be much less as an overall percentage. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think.

27_laughing.gif

forgot about the jewelry and clothes and shoes and new car for the wife factor in my calculations....

foreheadslap.gif

I started doing a full networth statement about the end of the year so I could really see my financial picture. I must admit I really have not got a good idea as to how much my collection is worth.

I tried to estimate the "value" of each asset as well as the cost of selling it. For the cost of selling I included the taxes as well as the loss for a quick sale.

On both a b4 and after basis Comics is between 8-12% of my net worth.

My Real Estate is #1 thanks to living in Los Angeles and the great return in the last 5 years.

My Business is #2 and I have Owned that for almost 20 years.

My Pension Plans and other Retirement savings is #3, but I think this will over take # 2 in the next few years.

My Comics are a distant 4th ( about 1/2 of either 2 or 3).

But comics are worth more than every thing else that I own Combined including Cars, Jewelry, household items, after tax savings and investments, etc.

I'm very suprised at the number of responses at above 30-40% Would you guys be comic dealers, or does the hobby really effect the money that much? I fully understand the investment side of it, but as just a collector/hobbyish that seems out of the norm.