• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
48 48

48,563 posts in this topic

I have to tell you, STEVE was EVERYWHERE in SD....anytime I left my booth to stretch my legs, I ran into STEVE wheeling and dealing...

gator

Haha...tis true. I log a lot of miles on the floor because I want to make sure I don't overlook anything, and besides I really enjoy chatting with everyone.

Here's an example of a very lucky find, and my BIG (literally - it's oversized) purchase at the show, Large Feature #8. Only stumbled across it at Motor City's booth on my 3rd time through their inventory. The fact that it's the Larson copy only made things sweeter :cloud9:

100_2256.jpg

Very nice! Congratulations on the find! :applause:

Here's one I was very happy to obtain (thanks to my pal Richard at Bedrock City); I just need to find issue 9 to complete the Mystery Men run of 1-10. The book is nicer (w/white pages, too) than my poor pic shows:

100_2253.jpg

hurry up and finish your dang run; i'm tired bidding against you on my mission to get 1-12. i have seven to go, including the big ones at the beginning, with 4 being my first. did get a nice 10 the other day that's the prettiest 5.0 i've ever had.

I just got a box of *CHOKE* almost 90 comics -- all ages, but including lots of modern tra... uh, treasures, highly collectible treasures and a HEAVY stack of books, mostly hardbound Marvels, for reading. (Prices that put Mile High Chuck's 10% off convention special to shame, believe me.) If anyone here is into HOT HOT recent variant covers in high grade, drop me a message and we might make a deal.

Here are some of my favorites from the stack.

New Heroic Comics 65 includes a two-page story signed by Williamson - the cover story in fact -- but GCD credits it to Frazetta. Maybe he inked it. I don't think either of them had anything to do with the creepy cover, which reminds me of Robert Crumb's stories about him and his brother Charles. With the expressions on their faces, I'm not positive whether the Cap'n is rescuing his brother or pushing him under.

Jack

41706-nhc65.jpg

Edited by selegue

I just got a box of *CHOKE* almost 90 comics ...

T-Man 38, last issue, with a nice Cuidera cover.

Jack

41707-tman.jpg

Edited by selegue

Justice Traps the Guilty 90, almost the end of the run.

Jack

41708-jttg90.jpg

Edited by selegue

Hopalong Cassidy, Grape-Nuts premium.

What a damn shame that the premium sticker stuck to the front (newsprint) cover and it ended up with a big tear -- otherwise a nice-looking copy.

I know they're not high-grade pre-Robin Detectives, but I love 'em anyway!

Stop over in Silver to see a few more, generally in better condition.

Jack

41709-hop.jpg

Edited by selegue

I saw that National on Wednesday, but I passed because of the staple pop. Would have snagged it in a second otherwise. Still a fantastic book, wish I didn't hate that defect.
I just figured, what the heck, a little tuck and no one's the wiser... J/k

I traded a Hulk 181 and cash for it. If the staple wasn't popped it would have cost more.

What would you grade it? They had it at 4.5, which I didn't agree with, though it's a nice looking book.

3.5-4.0? The staple kills the condition on an otherwise Fine book.

This book is so neat. I've wanted one of these early "Pocket Comics" for years, and finally snagged this one. (Before you get too jealous, the cover has been reglossed & spine is split to top staple...but still!) The size you see onscreen is pretty close to actual size. Great cover by Al Avison of Timely fame.

41689-speed14.jpg

41690-speed14back.jpg

How did I forget my favorite one?

It was easy -- it's oversized so it wasn't in the stack with the others.

Buck Rogers 2 from Famous Funnies/ Eastern Color in July 1941.

The notorious "Is that an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator or are you just glad to see me?" cover by Calkins! Yeah, I know it's a wreck, but I won it for the opening bid. If I were into that sort of thing, I wonder whether it would be a candidate for restoration. Probably not enough demand to justify the cost.

Jack

41731-buck.jpg

Edited by selegue

This book is so neat. I've wanted one of these early "Pocket Comics" for years, and finally snagged this one.

Cool! Second Harvey Comic to boot!

(Before you get too jealous, the cover has been reglossed & spine is split to top staple...but still!)

I'm plenty jealous. This looks like a book I could imagine buying. How scarce are these and the actual Pocket Comics series?

The size you see onscreen is pretty close to actual size. Great cover by Al Avison of Timely fame.

41689-speed14.jpg

41690-speed14back.jpg

Thanks for posting it!

Jack

This book is so neat. I've wanted one of these early "Pocket Comics" for years, and finally snagged this one. (Before you get too jealous, the cover has been reglossed & spine is split to top staple...but still!) The size you see onscreen is pretty close to actual size. Great cover by Al Avison of Timely fame.

41689-speed14.jpg

41690-speed14back.jpg

Very nice! :applause:

Love the "Death Drill" (have to mention that one to the dentist!)

Also didn't the Black Cat first appear in one of these issues of Pocket Comics?

The notorious "Is that an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator or are you just glad to see me?" cover by Calkins!

lol

Not a wreck at all (er, at least by my standards)! Sweet colors. (thumbs u

41689-speed14.jpg

41690-speed14back.jpg

That's a great cover :applause: I'm assuming these books are fairly uncommon, correct? They look really neat, though.

Angelo

(re Speed #14) Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I'm plenty jealous. This looks like a book I could imagine buying. How scarce are these and the actual Pocket Comics series?

Hey, I didn't know that. What was the first Harvey comic?

These Speeds and Pockets are fairly scarce, but I've seen a surprising number of copies for sale in the last 6 months or so. They always go for multiples of guide, so I usually get outbid...I've actually been trying for a couple of years to get one. Very pricey books.

(re Speed #14) Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Hey, I didn't know that. What was the first Harvey comic?

Pocket Comics 1 according to Overstreet.

These Speeds and Pockets are fairly scarce, but I've seen a surprising number of copies for sale in the last 6 months or so. They always go for multiples of guide, so I usually get outbid...I've actually been trying for a couple of years to get one. Very pricey books.

Multiples of guide... very pricey... you're just trying to scare me away, right?

Jack

Multiples of guide... very pricey... you're just trying to scare me away, right?

Jack

No man, it's not like that! It's just that they're very, very pricey books.

Pricey, pricey, pricey.

I'm not sure I can emphasize this point enough. (shrug) Pricey.