• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

Having just picked up my first LF (issue 8, Tracy, Larson copy), I now know how very cool these big books are.

Tarzan/LF 5 would have been my first choice, but alas I could not locate a copy (not even in the Central Valley haul, which did not have this particular issue).

Anyway, congrat's on the grail LF 5, Jeff - great book! :applause:

Thanks guys! Congrats on the Tracy, Steve! This one is far from Larson or Central Valley quality, but it's a nice solid copy -- and it was in my price range. :cool:

BZ, With your amazing ERB collection, I'm surprised you don't have one of these. I bet you have an awesome Single Series 20 though.

BZ, With your amazing ERB collection, I'm surprised you don't have one of these. I bet you have an awesome Single Series 20 though.

I thought I'd already posted a pic of my SS 20, but perhaps not.

Maybe it was in one of my slideshows?

This just came in the mail today -- another personal grail acquired! :banana:

You know, I knew the Large Features were oversized, but I had no idea they were this huge -- it barely fit on my scanner. I don't have a mylar big enough for this thing! doh!

Jeff

LargeFeature05VGsm.jpg

love it!

This just came in the mail today -- another personal grail acquired! :banana:

You know, I knew the Large Features were oversized, but I had no idea they were this huge -- it barely fit on my scanner. I don't have a mylar big enough for this thing! doh!

Jeff

LargeFeature05VGsm.jpg

Very cool. What year was that printed?

1939 - reprints the first Tarzan dailies from 1929.

Right -- it's considered by most to be the first Tarzan comic book. The 1929 dailies by Foster are actually an adaptation of the first novel, Tarzan of the Apes with narrative text below the illustrated panels. If you've never seen B&W Foster, it has a very different look to it than his work that was intended to be colored and is very cool. This same material was reprinted earlier in hardback in 1929 as The Illustrated Tarzan Book No. 1. Single Series 20, which came out in 1940, reprinted Foster Sundays and was the first regular-size color Tarzan comic book.

Looks like a She-Hulk prototype. Very Nice books Andy.

bluebolt105.jpg

Great looking book Buck! If I knew how to use the emoticons I would be clapping.

It's mine. Buck just hasn't learned how to use the quote function. :screwy:

:whatev:

1939 - reprints the first Tarzan dailies from 1929.

Right -- it's considered by most to be the first Tarzan comic book. The 1929 dailies by Foster are actually an adaptation of the first novel, Tarzan of the Apes with narrative text below the illustrated panels. If you've never seen B&W Foster, it has a very different look to it than his work that was intended to be colored and is very cool. This same material was reprinted earlier in hardback in 1929 as The Illustrated Tarzan Book No. 1. Single Series 20, which came out in 1940, reprinted Foster Sundays and was the first regular-size color Tarzan comic book.

The three contenders for "1st Tarzan Comic Book" (Depending on your definition of "comic book"):

FirstTarzansm.jpg

At the risk of killing this thread (as my image posts often seem to do), the recently acquired Lost Valley pedigree Fight #42:

fight42.jpg

Sweet book, Sean! :applause:

Did you get that from the Comic Heaven auction? I apparently won a couple of Lost Valley Tip Tops but I just got the invoice a couple of days ago.

At the risk of killing this thread (as my image posts often seem to do), the recently acquired Lost Valley pedigree Fight #42:

fight42.jpg

Did you get that from the Comic Heaven auction? I apparently won a couple of Lost Valley Tip Tops but I just got the invoice a couple of days ago.

I actually won it on eBay. And I was actually NOT sniped in the last seconds, which I would have bet money would happen.

I looked like this guy - :banana: - when I realized I wasn't sniped.

I love the war-era Rip Carson stories also. Great propoganda of the type you don't see anymore in our "enlightened" era.

I actually won it on eBay. And I was actually NOT sniped in the last seconds, which I would have bet money would happen.

I love the war-era Rip Carson stories also. Great propoganda of the type you don't see anymore in our "enlightened" era.

You're lucky I have the Crippen copy of that book, or you would have been sniped :baiting:

Edited by Paratrooper

fight42.jpg

:applause:

Do you have a copy of # 45? I was reading mine today and in it you find the story that transitions Rip Carson from his military days to the Risks Unlimited days. The boys are about to be demobilized (there's a reference to how many points they've earned which meant they could go out early) and see their old plane that has already been decommissioned but was being used for crooked purposes. They foil those plans and get hold of the plane and set up as Risks Unlimited. It's very nice to see the continuity put in the story.

Do you have a copy of # 45? I was reading mine today and in it you find the story that transitions Rip Carson from his military days to the Risks Unlimited days. The boys are about to be demobilized (there's a reference to how many points they've earned which meant they could go out early) and see their old plane that has already been decommissioned but was being used for crooked purposes. They foil those plans and get hold of the plane and set up as Risks Unlimited. It's very nice to see the continuity put in the story.

No 45. I need 40, 41, 45, and 46 for a sweet 40-49 run. Those 4 are now high on my want list.