• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,437 posts in this topic

Timely funny animal comics from the war era are certainly cool - I'll give you that - but as disturbing as CSS #22? I think your reaching Andy. Nice book though - I'm starting to get a real appreciation for funny animal WW2 covers - it's an odd mix - too bad Barks didn't do some (or did he and I haven't seen them)

Maybe, but I figure that 7 and 8 year olds were reading funny animals, while something like CSS 22 was read by 12-15 year olds. To us the Comedy isn't as shocking, but I bet a story about a guy throwing a bomb into a grade school caused as many 7 year old nightmares as ECs did with older kids.

Possibly - though I just tested this out on my 7 & 11 year old daughters - school bombing cat - not scary - in fact perplexed look from my 7 year old that anyone would think it scary.

CSS#22 - even my 11 year old thought that was scary - we skimmed the pre-code thread - and the reaction from my 7 year old - animated skeletons/corpses and decapitation - Scary! Vampires and graveyards - not scary.

animated skeletons/corpses and decapitation - Scary! Vampires and graveyards - not scary. Vampires and graveyards - not scary.

Well, fears are pretty individual. When I was 7 or 8 I wasn't afraid of much of anything....except vampires. They scared the hell out of me, so much that I used to sleep with a blanket wrapped around my neck to keep them from biting me. Real safe!

Anyway, I said "disturbing", not scary. As in, seeing a comic about school bombings marketed to 7 year olds is as distrurbing to me as seeing a comic book about decapitations marketed to 12 year olds.

so much that I used to sleep with a blanket wrapped around my neck to keep them from biting me

It works worked for me so there must be something to it! :blush:

Though boogie monsters required covers over the head. hm

Timely funny animal comics from the war era are certainly cool - I'll give you that - but as disturbing as CSS #22? I think your reaching Andy. Nice book though - I'm starting to get a real appreciation for funny animal WW2 covers - it's an odd mix - too bad Barks didn't do some (or did he and I haven't seen them)

Maybe, but I figure that 7 and 8 year olds were reading funny animals, while something like CSS 22 was read by 12-15 year olds. To us the Comedy isn't as shocking, but I bet a story about a guy throwing a bomb into a grade school caused as many 7 year old nightmares as ECs did with older kids.

Possibly - though I just tested this out on my 7 & 11 year old daughters - school bombing cat - not scary - in fact perplexed look from my 7 year old that anyone would think it scary.

CSS#22 - even my 11 year old thought that was scary - we skimmed the pre-code thread - and the reaction from my 7 year old - animated skeletons/corpses and decapitation - Scary! Vampires and graveyards - not scary.

I don't think you can draw any conclusions about kids of WWII by looking at kids today. They received very different information from the world around them.

Vampires and graveyards - not scary.

The Buffy effect?

They haven't seen the show - Andy is right - different things are scary to different kids. My younger daughter gets scared easily - recently she didn't want me to finish reading Rumplstiltskin once he came for the baby - she was afraid something terrible was going to happen to it - but then other things - like the giant spiders in the Harry Potter movie didn't even phase her.

My older daughter loves scary stories and horror movies (though I don't let her watch the torture genre) - and enjoys getting scared by them - but is critical if they seem too "fake" to her.

Got my Superboy 10 in from Heritage today. I am not one to keep books in plastic, and I really want to read this. First appearance of Lana Lang:

sb10.jpg

Very few of these early issue stories have ever been reprinted; I dont know if this one has. I was curious how they introduced her. She appeared on the first page of the first story. Here it is for those who like this kind of stuff:

sb10int.jpg

Got my Superboy 10 in from Heritage today. I am not one to keep books in plastic, and I really want to read this. First appearance of Lana Lang:

sb10.jpg

Very few of these early issue stories have ever been reprinted; I dont know if this one has. I was curious how they introduced her. She appeared on the first page of the first story. Here it is for those who like this kind of stuff:

sb10int.jpg

:applause:

sb10.jpg

sb10int.jpg

I know you really wanted that book and it looks fantastic out of the slab.

Ken