• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

Here is a fun book that found its way into my collection this week. It truly is Mammoth. It's about the size of a bedsheet pulp. I was very pleased with the page quality as it couldn't be seen in the scan from the seller.

mammoth.jpg

very cool. I have never seen one of these.

My biggest week (shows how cheap I am compared to the big boys around here).

While I usually stick to card covers, I also want to collect my top 10 covers (and 2 honorable mentions). This week, I added two of those covers in two days. The CDNP came from a deal on the boards and this Air Fighters was picked up on eBay and benefited the Heroes Initiative, as well as my collection.

For me it was a tossup between this and the incredible Valkyrie cover five issues earlier. The colors on this issue always grab my attention and ultimately the lower price tag made it an easy choice to make. Low page quality, but also meant I got a book that looks more like an 8.0 before it took the PQ hit.

Air-Fighters-v2-n7-CGC.jpg

Then this baby. Best cover ever.

Crime-DNP-24.jpg

My other top ten covers I still need to pick up:

Human Torch #12 (need to sell a kidney first)

Fight Against Crime #20 (need to wait for someone who owns one to die so it can be sold again)

Fighting Yank #23 (I'd swear these used to be available and affordable)

Remember Pearl Harbor

and my honorable mention: Rifleman #10 (need a nice CGC)

While I usually stick to card covers, I also want to collect my top 10 covers (and 2 honorable mentions). This week, I added two of those covers in two days. The CDNP came from a deal on the boards and this Air Fighters was picked up on eBay and benefited the Heroes Initiative, as well as my collection.

For me it was a tossup between this and the incredible Valkyrie cover five issues earlier. The colors on this issue always grab my attention and ultimately the lower price tag made it an easy choice to make. Low page quality, but also meant I got a book that looks more like an 8.0 before it took the PQ hit.

Air-Fighters-v2-n7-CGC.jpg

Then this baby. Best cover ever.

Crime-DNP-24.jpg

Fight Against Crime #20 (need to wait for someone who owns one to die so it can be sold again)

Remember Pearl Harbor

I am interested in acquiring a CNDP 24 and would like to know how much you paid, if you don't mind?

Just got this back, but I may crack it out though...I read on a previous thread that a lot of collectors dont consider crime true GA stuff...is this a common consensus? I personally love this book, I think it has become somewhat iconic..

tads.jpg

I had seen the FP in Chicago and in SD at Al's and had passed, but I NEVER saw the Larson MF 57 or I would have snagged... need details... and WOW, great pick up!

I had considered the FP at both of those shows, but found other things of more interest. Al had the America's Best #5 which I was not going to miss out on. So we worked a deal for the two of them. The FP is just so scarce, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I got the MF #57 from JHV. I had already pulled a few BA and SA books I was going to buy and was pleasently surprised when I asked to see the MF. Surprised it was a Larson and surprised at the asking price.

This copy originally had a line of glue on the spine. I guess enough to get a PLOD from CGC. Joe had Matt remove the glue. As a result the spine edge has quite a bit of the color pulled off.

I looked up the CGC 4.5 "D" copy in the Heritage archives and IMO this one blows it away. I'm pretty thrilled about it.

The Crippen copy.

MF57Dcopy.jpg

I saw the MF #57 in Balt.

You're lucky I already have the Church copy! :makepoint::baiting:

Very nice pick up!

MoreFun57MH.jpg

I picked these up from the CC auction.

They should have cost much more than they did. Sorry for the large images. Taken from their website.

com13.18a.jpg

com13.19a.jpg

com13.20a.jpg

com13.21a.jpg

Congrats Mark!!! Glad you snagged these, only a few of these EVER show up, I'm sure they will be in good hands!!!:applause:

I saw the MF #57 in Balt.

You're lucky I already have the Church copy! :makepoint::baiting:

Very nice pick up!

MoreFun57MH.jpg

Mark, you're much more modest in person. :baiting:

Actually, I was a little apprehensive about buying it, because I had seen you and several other big dogs and dealers in Joe's booth earlier in the con, and had to wonder why it would still be hanging around.

Fantastic Church copy BTW.

Remember Pearl Harbor

What about Human Torch 13? Too many snakes?

bb

1757829008_59cf0a9901_b.jpg

Here is a fun book that found its way into my collection this week. It truly is Mammoth. It's about the size of a bedsheet pulp. I was very pleased with the page quality as it couldn't be seen in the scan from the seller.

mammoth.jpg

Nice pick up! That's one of those books I wouldn't mind picking up one day. (worship)