• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

I like it at $500

Yeah, the more I look at it the more I wish I would've upped my bid. I wonder if this is a book that would be good for pressing. I don't know thing one about pressing though.

I haven't tracked the book lately, but it used to be considered the most desirable of the Schomburg airbrush covers for Wonder, and would typically sell for at 2-3X what the surrounding issues did, sometimes more. That copy looks to be a solid 6.5, maybe even a 7.0, so the price seems about right, though probably not a bargain.

I like it at $500

Yeah, the more I look at it the more I wish I would've upped my bid. I wonder if this is a book that would be good for pressing. I don't know thing one about pressing though.

I haven't tracked the book lately, but it used to be considered the most desirable of the Schomburg airbrush covers for Wonder, and would typically sell for at 2-3X what the surrounding issues did, sometimes more. That copy looks to be a solid 6.5, maybe even a 7.0, so the price seems about right, though probably not a bargain.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

I did look at the guide and figured this was worth some multiple but I just couldn't convince myself what the book would grade at. Would it be a 5.0 or a 7.0? If I knew for sure it was unrestored and was on the 6.5 to 7.0 side, $500 actually seems like a decent price. I suppose, if press-able, the book might have even more potential.

I looked the scan over some more, and noticed it also appears to have a bend/crease at the top right corner as well as the obvious one at the top left, so 7.0 might be pushing it, though the book does have strong eye-appeal, and would have to have some more less visible defects to get knocked down to a 5.0. At $500 for a mid-grade book - potential restoration issues become a concern as well.

I like it at $500

With the visible defects on the book I would bet that pressing would not benefit the new owner in any aesthetic or monetary way. With a base starting point of $35 plus shipping to the presser and then to and from CGC on top of slabbing fee I can't see how anything more would be added dollar-wise since you'd get if anything like a .5 increase in grade. The lower left front cover has some creasing and the spine dings aren't correctible. Still a nice book though.

I like it at $500

With the visible defects on the book I would bet that pressing would not benefit the new owner in any aesthetic or monetary way. With a base starting point of $35 plus shipping to the presser and then to and from CGC on top of slabbing fee I can't see how anything more would be added dollar-wise since you'd get if anything like a .5 increase in grade. The lower left front cover has some creasing and the spine dings aren't correctible. Still a nice book though.

Yeah, the lower left corner has more damage to it than is visible. It was clearer on the ebay auction page for some reason. I thought the spine issues on the back were something that pressing could fix though. As I mentioned though, no knowledge of what pressing can or can't do.