• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,443 posts in this topic

I posted this in the "Spare a Grade?" forum, but I thought I'd share the love. I've actually had this book for a few years, but haven't posted it yet. I never really thought I'd actually own this comic, but I'm ecstatic that I do! I think it's at about a 5.0, give or take. I'll most likely send it off to CGC soon. Whadda think? (thumbs u

St_49_1.jpg

:applause: Another "gotta have it" classic cover! Send it to CGC by all means. Unless you plan on reading it again and again which is also :cloud9: but if you only got it for the cover then submit it!

shouldn't that be la la land (shrug)

hey, look what i got gator!

aman22.jpg

Dang Billy! That is very cool (thumbs u

thanks geek!

Metropolis?

:insane:

no sir; a boardie.

Dang Billy! That is very cool (thumbs u

thanks geek!

Metropolis?

:insane:

no sir; a boardie.

Twas a joke. But you knew that.

I posted this in the "Spare a Grade?" forum, but I thought I'd share the love. I've actually had this book for a few years, but haven't posted it yet. I never really thought I'd actually own this comic, but I'm ecstatic that I do! I think it's at about a 5.0, give or take. I'll most likely send it off to CGC soon. Whadda think? (thumbs u

St_49_1.jpg

:applause: Another "gotta have it" classic cover! Send it to CGC by all means. Unless you plan on reading it again and again which is also :cloud9: but if you only got it for the cover then submit it!

Thanks! I got it in from a guy who was selling a small GA collection that was his GRANDMOTHERS, not knowing what was he had, and this was in the stack. You don't wanna know what I paid.... let's just say I got a good deal on it. :headbang:

Oh, and I have read it. I had to at least once! The cover's still the best part, of course!

Edited by pmpknface

St_49_1.jpg

Thanks! I got it in from a guy who was selling a small GA collection that was his GRANDMOTHERS, not knowing what was he had, and this was in the stack. You don't wanna know what I paid.... let's just say I got a good deal on it. :headbang:

Oh, and I have read it. I had to at least once! The cover's still the best part, of course!

Looks like a very nice copy of a great book - congrats! I never get tired of that one

St_49_1.jpg

ST_49_2.jpg

ST_49_B.jpg

Do you know what I think? I think that's a great book to own in any grade.yours looks real nice, A friend of mine bought a copy off of Mike Goldman a few years ago in VF, what a stunner!!!!

aman22.jpg

Best cover in the run next to # 11 IMHO!!!

Congrats!! Billy! Bought mine off of Harley many moons ago, what a great cover and book!! :applause:

aman22.jpg

Best cover in the run next to # 11 IMHO!!!

Congrats!! Billy! Bought mine off of Harley many moons ago, what a great cover and book!! :applause:

wow, I thought the 11 was the weakest BE cover of them (shrug)

aman11-1-1.jpg

versus

aman22-1-1.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of #11 either. The purple is nice, but the nazi apes are so much more dynamic
I debated stopping at 10 with the BE's, but since 11 is the last of his 7 issue cover stint, I figured "what the heck"

amancgc-1.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of #11 either. The purple is nice, but the nazi apes are so much more dynamic

I'm doubtful it's Everett but suspect it's swiped from Everett or inked by other than Everett.

I'm doubtful it's Everett but suspect it's swiped from Everett or inked by other than Everett.

maybe that is why it doesn't hold a huge appeal for me (shrug)

i've always thought it was everett, and he may as well be drawing subby on the cover. also, those figures in the background are similar to some of his early centaur covers, i'm thinking specifically about amazing mystery 9.

i've always thought it was everett, and he may as well be drawing subby on the cover. also, those figures in the background are similar to some of his early centaur covers, i'm thinking specifically about amazing mystery 9.

The pose of the main character is similar to ones he uses and the girl in the background is very much in his style. But the inks stink. The amount of swipage that goes on and the often haphazardly arranged collaborations do make artist identification much harder to make.

The pose of the main character is similar to ones he uses and the girl in the background is very much in his style. But the inks stink. The amount of swipage that goes on and the often haphazardly arranged collaborations do make artist identification much harder to make.

I always thought it was Everett too. Mainly because as you have mentioned, the girl to me looks like pure Everett. Also in my opinion it is one of the worst covers of the run. But I always thought A-Man had quite a few sub-par covers. At least 7 others are just as bad. (shrug)

Hey, don't kill me guys...I'm a Centaur collector OK...but some of these covers sucked....(but none are as bad as Man of War) :eek: