• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

After many years, I finally cracked this baby out of the holder, and I'm much happier with it now. Classic Baker cover in my opinion.

Ken

saint33334.jpg

IMHO

It doesn't look like Baker to me. Did he ever work for Avon?

bb

I agree. Not Baker, IMHO. Not Baker according to OS also.

But it's still a great cover and a nice book. Are the innards as good as the cover?

The CGC lable that was with the book says Matt Baker cover. Any way to tell for sure?

Ken

I just checked the Gerber Photo-Journal Guide and the book is listed as a Baker cover.

Ken

It's been regarded as a Baker cover for quite a while, and it's very possible he had a hand in it though doubtful it's all him. Baker and Kamen (who drew the Saint 1 cover) were both working for the Iger shop and were often producing just a part of the art which was then sold to FH, Avon and, I think, Fox. Regardless of who drew it, she's a lovely lass and it is a very pleasing cover.

I just checked the Gerber Photo-Journal Guide and the book is listed as a Baker cover.

Ken

It's been regarded as a Baker cover for quite a while, and it's very possible he had a hand in it though doubtful it's all him. Baker and Kamen (who drew the Saint 1 cover) were both working for the Iger shop and were often producing just a part of the art which was then sold to FH, Avon and, I think, Fox. Regardless of who drew it, she's a lovely lass and it is a very pleasing cover.

After comparing this cover (great book, BTW!) to The Texan 10, I'm convinced it's Baker.

baker,m_the_texan49aug.jpg

After many years, I finally cracked this baby out of the holder, and I'm much happier with it now. Classic Baker cover in my opinion.

Ken

saint33334.jpg

IMHO

It doesn't look like Baker to me. Did he ever work for Avon?

bb

I agree. Not Baker, IMHO. Not Baker according to OS also.

But it's still a great cover and a nice book. Are the innards as good as the cover?

The CGC lable that was with the book says Matt Baker cover. Any way to tell for sure?

Ken

I think it's Baker. The woman's face looks very similar to other Baker faces, such as the cover to It Rhymes With Lust. Check out the eyebrows.

ItRhymesWithLustcopy1.jpg

The woman's face and hands aren't Bakerish. And the pose isn't as fluid as Baker would do it. It doesn't have the extra "oomph" that Baker's art has and is a bit wooden when compared to his style. Look at the woman's figure on the cover of "It Rhymes With Lust." A very static cover, but she still has a certain grace to her that the Saint cover doesn't have. I'm still in the not-Baker camp.

The woman's face and hands aren't Bakerish. And the pose isn't as fluid as Baker would do it. It doesn't have the extra "oomph" that Baker's art has and is a bit wooden when compared to his style. Look at the woman's figure on the cover of "It Rhymes With Lust." A very static cover, but she still has a certain grace to her that the Saint cover doesn't have. I'm still in the not-Baker camp.

when you gonna pull that bottom line off your sig line?

shouldn't you be watching some LSU vs MSU ball right now (shrug)

When I get off my and change it. Maybe after I get the books so I know they don't get lost in the mail or something tragic like that.

My first posting in Golden Age only. Three pre-code Black Magic comics featuring Simon/Kirby on the covers and some of Steve Ditko's first interior work.

BlackMagic27.jpg

BlackMagic28.jpg

BlackMagic29-1.jpg

Very bizarre Kirby covers! (thumbs u

My first posting in Golden Age only. Three pre-code Black Magic comics featuring Simon/Kirby on the covers and some of Steve Ditko's first interior work.

BlackMagic27.jpg

BlackMagic28.jpg

BlackMagic29-1.jpg

The Black Magic 29 is very cool. Is this an adaptation of a Ray Bradbury story, or did EC do some type of story similar to this? I know I have seen this premise before.

Ken

BlackMagic27.jpg

BlackMagic28.jpg

BlackMagic29-1.jpg

very nice, one and all.

calling roy and lou: does a green girl IN a dress count? and i think that last one may have a green stripe in her dress.

BlackMagic27.jpg

BlackMagic28.jpg

BlackMagic29-1.jpg

The Black Magic 29 is very cool. Is this an adaptation of a Ray Bradbury story, or did EC do some type of story similar to this? I know I have seen this premise before.

Ken

No, it's not a Bradbury adaptation. The woman is a disfigured "freak" who wears a full body suit to hide her hideous appearance. Her paramour actually kills her in the story when he stumbles to her secret.

Tony D.

Thanks Joanna..

Startling27a.jpg

startling27b.jpg

(too lazy to take add. scans)

Sweet Schomburg GP!

Plus you've got to love the ad on the back to be the 1st boy in your neighborhood to own the Krak-A-Jap

lol

Great talking to you today buddy! (thumbs u