• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

Although not a war cover (which is my focus), I have sought after this Lou Fine classic for a long time.

006-10-1.jpg

I'm fairly certain this isn't Lou Fine. Probably Edd Ashe or Alex Kotzky, or whoever took over after the Eisner shop & Fox parted ways. Still a great book though!

Thanks, I love it. GCD credits Lou Fine for the cover and 5 of the stories. Ill crack it open tonight and see what the book says itself. It contians reprints of a number of Wonderworld 1939 stories.

the cut-off date for the 'good' artists is 7/40--BUT there are two limbo books, flame 1 and green mask 1 which are simply noted as 'summer.' here're my flame 1 and gm 1, both of which cgc labels as fine covers. i think the green mask depiction is fine's probably scavenged from another book, tho' the background characters look to be drawn possibly by the same guy that did the same work on the flame. it's clear to me the flame himself on the flame 1 is fine's work.

greenmask1.jpg

flame1.jpg

the cut-off date for the 'good' artists is 7/40--BUT there are two limbo books, flame 1 and green mask 1 which are simply noted as 'summer.' here're my flame 1 and gm 1, both of which cgc labels as fine covers. i think the green mask depiction is fine's probably scavenged from another book, tho' the background characters look to be drawn possibly by the same guy that did the same work on the flame. it's clear to me the flame himself on the flame 1 is fine's work.

flame1.jpg

A few things that will probably convince you otherwise, Billy:

(a) Find another Lou Fine drawn book with the same shading beneath the Flame's arm. I'll bet you can't.

(b) Now look at Wonderworld 21 - it's exactly the same. That's probably an Edd Ashe cover.

© Look at the flames coming out of the gun. See how they're very liquid or gassy appearing? That's not Fine either (cf. Wonderworld 7 - that's the way Fine tended to draw the flames from the gun)

(d) Fine had a great feel for muscular anatomy, but never drew his heroes bulky. They were "ropy" if anything. The Flame looks bulky on this cover.

flame1.jpg

(a) Find another Lou Fine drawn book with the same shading beneath the Flame's arm. I'll bet you can't.

(b) Now look at Wonderworld 21 - it's exactly the same. That's probably an Edd Ashe cover.

© Look at the flames coming out of the gun. See how they're very liquid or gassy appearing? That's not Fine either (cf. Wonderworld 7 - that's the way Fine tended to draw the flames from the gun)

(d) Fine had a great feel for muscular anatomy, but never drew his heroes bulky. They were "ropy" if anything. The Flame looks bulky on this cover.

Very convincing tidbits. You know your Fox artists. It would be very interesting if Fine did not actually draw the Flame 1 cover since many consider it a classic Fine cover.

flame1.jpg

Very convincing tidbits. You know your Fox artists. It would be very interesting if Fine did not actually draw the Flame 1 cover since many consider it a classic Fine cover.

They had so many great artists - it's unfortunate that many of them had to follow Fine & Eisner as they sort of pale in comparison, but they're nothing to kick out of bed for eating crackers!

Although not a war cover (which is my focus), I have sought after this Lou Fine classic for a long time.

006-10-1.jpg

I'm fairly certain this isn't Lou Fine. Probably Edd Ashe or Alex Kotzky, or whoever took over after the Eisner shop & Fox parted ways. Still a great book though!

Thanks, I love it. GCD credits Lou Fine for the cover and 5 of the stories. Ill crack it open tonight and see what the book says itself. It contians reprints of a number of Wonderworld 1939 stories.

greenmask1.jpg

flame1.jpg

Actually CGC just labels the Flame issue as "Lou Fine art", not the cover. :gossip:

Is there any question as to whether there is Fine art at all within the book?

006-10-1.jpg

greenmask1.jpg

flame1.jpg

Actually CGC just labels the Flame issue as "Lou Fine art", not the cover. :gossip:

And Green Mask 1 isn't a Fine cover either. I wouldn't trust CGC on anything listed on the label like that. It's probably some trained chimp copying out of Overstreet.

006-10-1.jpg

I never considered flame 1 to be a fine cover, but I always assumed it was, like parker did...but, now that I really look at it, I would lean towards "not"

greenmask1.jpg

flame1.jpg

006-10-1.jpg

I never considered flame 1 to be a fine cover, but I always assumed it was, like parker did...but, now that I really look at it, I would lean towards "not"

greenmask1.jpg

flame1.jpg

good info; but i think they scavenged the flame's head off wonderworld 7. and since he was a thinking man's s'hero, that makes if fine's flame.

flame1.jpg

The Flame figure is very clearly based on/swiped from WW7, where Fine did draw a bulky arm. The inking on the back of the arm is clearly a change but other aspects line up closely/exactly.

flame1.jpg

The Flame figure is very clearly based on/swiped from WW7, where Fine did draw a bulky arm. The inking on the back of the arm is clearly a change but other aspects line up closely/exactly.

My understanding of WW7 is that it was Fine over Eisner, thus the bulk. (shrug)

flame1.jpg

My understanding of WW7 is that it was Fine over Eisner, thus the bulk. (shrug)

Hard to say. There are times when Fine inked Eisner (Planet 1) but in other cases he laid out the design and then may have touched up or advised Fine.

I have returned from a temprary collecting hiatus due to the purchase of a new home and preparation for the birth of my first child (due in August).

I picked up these gems (at least IMO) over the weekend:

006-10-1.jpg

My first Fight. This book is gorgeous.

009-3-1.jpg

Fun book. Low grade. Price was right.

008-5-1.jpg

Last but not least, gotta love it

010-5-1.jpg

When you get tired of that Fight 40, see my sig file.

I have returned from a temprary collecting hiatus due to the purchase of a new home and preparation for the birth of my first child (due in August).

006-10-1.jpg

009-3-1.jpg

008-5-1.jpg

010-5-1.jpg

Ill keep that in mind, but it will be a long time before I tire of that book :)

thanks go to a boardie for this sweet upgrade on a favorite cover of mine, and a neat little book for my l.b. cole subset.

zipcgc.jpg

bingo.jpg

:acclaim:

I think you will love the books....that bingo was the first blank back I ever owned (thumbs u

006-10-1.jpg

009-3-1.jpg

008-5-1.jpg

010-5-1.jpg

May I ask, what's the approximate grade on the Fight?

And no, I'm not asking cause I want one... :cloud9:

FightComics40cgc85f.jpg

006-10-1.jpg

009-3-1.jpg

008-5-1.jpg

010-5-1.jpg

FightComics40cgc85f.jpg

I think 8.0 - 8.5. Cover condition looks very close to yours. However, the page quality on mine is probably cream - off white. The page cut is intersting on mine compared to yours - look at the elbow.

Edited by Sardo Numspar

009-3-1.jpg

FightComics40cgc85f.jpg

kryptonitecomics posted this one a while back and I admired it. Luckily for me, when he decided to let it go, he remembered our conversation and offered me the book It arrived today. It's the Crowley copy.

Wow-49.jpg