• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,421 posts in this topic

Ok here is the recent purchase, These are Four Color bound volumes issues #13 thru 24, 25 thru 36, and 37 thru 48. The volume with issues 25 thru 36 sold in 2006 for $11,000.00 on Heritage Auctions Website. I spoke with the guy that handles the Comics for Heritage Auctions out of Beverly Hils about these three volumes. He told me the bound volumes of this era are extremely rare from the 40's thinking there were 10 or less published for excutives to referrence to as in office copies. Maybe as few as 5 copies.

Anyhow, the guy I told you about bought them as a sell off 30 years ago of a Harvey/Dell warehouse and these were in a box of uncirculated comics. The guy I spoke with at Hefitage feels these were professional bound copies for a manager or executive that never received them. Long story short they are rare. They were professionally bound but never received their final hard back covers which were sent off for their final hardcovers making them extremely rare in there current mint state, He stated I should not have their hardocvers added as they are in their original state from the 40's and are more valuable like they are. Here are a few pics of them they are truly gorgeous.

P1010058.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010052.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010046.jpg

Wow - those Dell bound volumes are things of beauty!! (worship)

The Four Color series is such a diverse and wondeful thing.

+1 :applause: Those are amazing

Those Dells are phenomenal (thumbs u While looking at something else, I stumbled on two interesting swipes. This is from New Comics 6

NewComics6swipe1.jpg

NewComics6swipe2.jpg

This is from New Adventure 16

NewAdventure016swipe2.jpg

NewAdventure016swipe3.jpg

Those Dells are phenomenal (thumbs u While looking at something else, I stumbled on two interesting swipes. This is from New Comics 6

NewComics6swipe1.jpg

NewComics6swipe2.jpg

This is from New Adventure 16

NewAdventure016swipe2.jpg

NewAdventure016swipe3.jpg

Very cool!

I think we can forgive Siegel and Shuster for swiping thier own work though :P

I am posting these individually in the litigation thread so will just use thumbnails here. Was fortunate enough to obtain some additional court copies from the DC v. Fawcett litigation. I was not aware there were pages out when I bought them, nor do I actually care given they are court copies, but that is to be expected as no doubt those pages were used in the actual trial.

th_Whiz74.jpgth_Whiz73.jpgth_Whiz52.jpgth_Whiz51.jpgth_Whiz84.jpgth_Whiz76.jpgth_Whiz75.jpg

Have you seen the Delacourt bound volumes in the Heritage signature auction? They are extraordinary items. They don't get 'Deller' than those ones!

I'm thinking of theme collecting these giant issues.

AllComics.jpg

Giant GA comics are a lot of fun Mark. Off and on over the years I've bought them when I could. Enjoy the chase!

Gene Carpenter has a couple cool ones in his boxes that he keeps behind his table, so next time you see him ask him for them

Have you seen the Delacourt bound volumes in the Heritage signature auction? They are extraordinary items. They don't get 'Deller' than those ones!

No. I'm sure they are out of my price range, but what a great item. I was just reading a biography on Lester Dent and saw that Delacourt founded Dell publishing in 1922 but Dent didn't work there till 1929. The pulp era :cloud9: