• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

As in Fred Meagher of the 55 issues of Straight Arrow fame? If so, I am flabbergasted as I had no inkling of that ... and :thumbsup: for the pics.

One and the same. (thumbs u

The cover is a swipe from a Raymond panel.

Total coolness.Who did the writing for this & is it any good?

It's credited to James Edison Northford (or Northfield---it's listed both ways), but that may be a pseudonym. I started reading it but didn't finish it. It was pretty pedestrian and probably intended for a younger audience. There were a couple of back up stories as well, but I didn't read them.

That is a very cool book, has a copy ever been posted here before? I would buy it just because is so darn cool.

I posted it in the pulp thread a few years ago when it was still raw. finally got around to submitting it. It's pretty scarce, but does come up from time to time. HA has sold a couple.

That is a very cool book, has a copy ever been posted here before? I would buy it just because is so darn cool.

It is a cool book. I don't recall seeing a pulp with color illos before. It really does have the look of a comic/pulp hybrid.

It is a cool book. I don't recall seeing a pulp with color illos before. It really does have the look of a comic/pulp hybrid.

It's more like the adult pulp equivalent of a big little book. Not that that's a bad thing.

It's more like the adult pulp equivalent of a big little book. Not that that's a bad thing.

Not in theory, but unfortunately the writing is not much above the level of a kid's big little book. Ultimately, the fact that it was a hybrid experiment may be why it failed. Newspaper reprint comic books were taking off by late 36 and this featured one of the most popular strip characters in his own book, several years before FB 25 and FC 10. But on the one hand, it had too little art and too much text to be a successful comic book, and on the other, the writing was too poor and childish to appeal to the SF pulp fans (who had gotten pretty discriminating by then).

There is an interior ad for the second one in the series, Flash Gordon and the Sun Men of Saturn, but it was apparently never released.

Argh! Just got sniped on a book that I wanted in the Heritage weekly auction. :frustrated:

I sympathise - nothing worse than thinking you are home safe only for someone to steal the rug out from under you - though in my case they also tend to steal the furniture, fixtures and fittings, then club me over the head.

Argh! Just got sniped on a book that I wanted in the Heritage weekly auction. :frustrated:

Me too and I swear it was within the last minute. No bids for two days and then whammo. :P

The first 6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 50 seconds are just the advertising portion of the program. The auction happens in the last 10 seconds.

Heritage's servers can be a bot slow at the end of a Sunday auction so waiting till the last 10 seconds might make some of your bids late. I don't usually push it past 18 seconds.

I just screwed up. I bid with about 20 seconds to go, and I figured that if the screen that confirmed my bid was smart enough to continue counting down the seconds remaining, that it would also show any new bids, which it didn't.

Nice!

You're getting dangerously close to collecting 50s books! :ohnoez:

Nice!

That is all I am collecting these days. 1950-55 dcs!
:o

Nice!

That is all I am collecting these days. 1950-55 dcs!
:o
I'm still buying other cool books but workin on completing the entire dc ga superhero from 1950-55 :headbang: