• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

3 great books there! Rangers 25 :cloud9:

Terry's Comics had a nice copy for sale at Long Beach Comic Con weekend before last. :gossip:

Thanks Steve but you should know by now that nice and Scrooge's collection is not a good fit lol

3 great books there! Rangers 25 :cloud9:

Terry's Comics had a nice copy for sale at Long Beach Comic Con weekend before last. :gossip:

Thanks Steve but you should know by now that nice and Scrooge's collection is not a good fit lol

:makepoint::signfunny:

106101.jpg

106102.jpg

What a great find. :applause:

The above cartoonist later became a humor columnist for the St. Petersburg Times.

This remembrance of Bothwell is from the paper's website: Link

As a columnist, D ick Bothwell loved to crack jokes about stuck zippers, asparagus, exploding outhouses and country preachers. But his favorite target was himself.

A man once described as "the St. Petersburg edition of Will Rogers,'' Bothwell switched places with a radio deejay for a day, became an extra in a TV movie and entered a beautiful legs contest — anything for a chuckle. He also liked to compare himself to Hollywood leading man Robert Redford: "Women will look me boldly in the eye and say suggestive things like, 'Have a good day,' which is obviously a come-on.''

The tall Dakotan taught himself to draw by correspondence course and came to St. Petersburg in 1939 as an editorial cartoonist at the princely salary of $17.50 a week. When he returned from World War II service in the Pacific, he began reporting on the weather. That led to a general assignment reporting role and two columns — Of All Things (OAT) in 1962 and Brighten Up Monday (BUM) in 1978.

In the newsroom, he was known for the candy jar atop his desk and, of course, his self-deprecating humor. One day in January 1981 he dressed as a cowboy and twirled a lasso as colleagues guffawed. The next morning, he died of an apparent heart attack at age 63.

"For most of our readers, D ick Bothwell was the St. Petersburg Times,'' executive editor Robert Haiman said. "His column wrapped them in a blanket of good humor, nostalgia and optimism that made them feel good about themselves. A reader once wrote me, 'I read Bothwell first every morning to get the warm snugglies; then I can turn back to page 1 and face the bad news.'''

Just got home from Germany to find a wonderful mix of eclectic GA goodies

Great books, Bill:) Now I know who outbid me on the #5, lol...! (worship)

Don't fret. The #4 is much nicer. The #5 is kinda brittle :(

Thanks everyone! I'm really happy to have all three in my collection. :)

You should be, but that AA 61 is :cloud9:

Thanks Bill :) I have wanted a copy of AA 61 for many many years now. Finally found one that fit; decent looking book, no chunks missing, and NO color touch in the black!! Yay!!