• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

Just when I thought the Long Beach con was going to be a bust this little beauty popped up from a box at Terry's booth. It being Halloween and having always wanted a Plastic Man I took the plunge. The interior stories look equally funky though I still have to read them. Woozy even has his own feature.

Nice book. Not a cover that stands out until you see a large scan of it. Congrats.

And, yes, Woozie had his own strip :sorry: and so did Chop Chop doh!

Scrooge,

You are right about it probably not standing out until you see it. I pulled it out of the box and it pretty much shouted, "Buy Me!"

I assume Chop Chop was a feature in Military comics or Blackhawk?

Just when I thought the Long Beach con was going to be a bust this little beauty popped up from a box at Terry's booth. It being Halloween and having always wanted a Plastic Man I took the plunge. The interior stories look equally funky though I still have to read them. Woozy even has his own feature.

Plas39.jpg

Bravo 40 !! That looks great :applause:

Colors look really bright and clean !! Hopefully its Cole stories inside so you can experiance the twisted madness of his genius

Guide says it's Cole. I think I will be saving this one for a read over the Thanksgiving holiday. It looks crazy inside, maybe the beginnings of Cole's madness and bitter end??

I think his work really took a turn around late 1948. It was always pretty fantastic, but he seemed to decide to push the boundaries of his characters emotional states far past anything resembling normalacy after that. Those are the stories I enjoy the most. Mr. Aqua, Sadly Sadly, Kru Vashnu...... He burned out not long after..... mid 1950. He quit doing Police in June 1950 and I imagine he quit doing Plastic Man at that time also. I think the popularity of the character is what kept the series going .....for awhile, even though he was gone.

Course you know about ....... his end :(

Plas39.jpg

Colors look really bright and clean !! Hopefully its Cole stories inside so you can experiance the twisted madness of his genius

Guide says it's Cole. I think I will be saving this one for a read over the Thanksgiving holiday. It looks crazy inside, maybe the beginnings of Cole's madness and bitter end??

I think his work really took a turn around late 1948. It was always pretty fantastic, but he seemed to decide to push the boundaries of his characters emotional states far past anything resembling normalacy after that. Those are the stories I enjoy the most. Mr. Aqua, Sadly Sadly, Kru Vashnu...... He burned out not long after..... mid 1950. He quit doing Police in June 1950 and I imagine he quit doing Plastic Man at that time also. I think the popularity of the character is what kept the series going .....for awhile, even though he was gone.

Course you know about ....... his end :(

Back when Steranko's History of Comics came out in the early seventies, I believe the second book featured Jack Cole's story. I remember how fascinating it all seemed; I need to go back and read it again. I have the recent book by Spiegelman but have not yet read it; although I am looking forward to it.

Back when Steranko's History of Comics came out in the early seventies, I believe the second book featured Jack Cole's story. I remember how fascinating it all seemed; I need to go back and read it again. I have the recent book by Spiegelman but have not yet read it; although I am looking forward to it.

I enjoyed the Spiegleman book. Theres alot of info in there

Are there pages.... or just this one sheet cartoon ?? I don't get it. There is no cover ..... it looks like the interior pages of a comic ... (shrug)

Re: The Anti-Hoover comic - it's what's called "self-covered." Many giveaway / promotional comic books were done cheaply for free distribution. They didn't add a slick cover to the "guts" of the comic book like commercial comics. So the cover paper is the same as the inside paper.

This has comic stories inside, in black and white. Great stinging Opper cartoons. You think politics today is nasty!

Plas39.jpg

What a cool cover! It reminds me as much of L.B. Cole as it does Jack Cole.

Picked up some weird giveaways lately. I'll also post them in the promo comic thread...
Mr. Sneekers is now doing 15-20 at State Prison. When he gets out, he'll be Mr. Ankle Monitor. Edited by Weird Paper

I've thought it likely that the Sensation cover was the inspiration -- unless there's an even earlier non-comic inspiration that both are sourced from.

There's speculation on the cover artist for the Sensation with some suggesting Toth and at least one person, Drucker. I love it and consider it more likely to be Toth as it reminds of some of his Standard work.

I had visions of this cover when I saw it.

106069.jpg

Picked up some weird giveaways lately. I'll also post them in the promo comic thread...
Mr. Sneekers is now doing 15-20 at State Prison. When he gets out, he'll be Mr. Ankle Monitor.
:signfunny:

Mr. Sneekers and his creepy vibe!

I've thought it likely that the Sensation cover was the inspiration -- unless there's an even earlier non-comic inspiration that both are sourced from.

There's speculation on the cover artist for the Sensation with some suggesting Toth and at least one person, Drucker. I love it and consider it more likely to be Toth as it reminds of some of his Standard work.

I had visions of this cover when I saw it.

106069.jpg

Fiendishly fun, if I can dig up this book I will have quite a pair!