• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,384 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Said they were complete in the listing, but definitely have to check each GA comic that comes in.

Though it takes time away from my box digging, I'm going to have to start implementing this more at shows to avoid major disappointment later. I have some purchases from earlier in my collecting I spent some good money on I'm afraid to check.

I have been burnt lately about 25% of the time on raw books on eBay

5 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Wow; that's not good at all. Is that strictly incomplete copies or also counting detached centerfolds/similar large defects?

If that Terrors of the Jungle checks out... ;)

11 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

That sucks. I've had some recent trouble both buying and selling on the bay. I don't use it much anymore. Hey, I'm a nice guy but I don't put up with shifty people. You burn the Robot Man and you get hell fire back!

It's gotton to the point that most of what I get now is either friends, private collectors, shows or the boards. Means I get less books but I am way more happy in the long run...

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Very nice Church book. We are in a very unique moment of comic collecting history as so many of Edgar's books are coming on the market now. Some 'bargains' to be had in terms of lesser grade copies and cold/unpopular books, but this hobby has a history of something catching on when many aren't looking. If you always wanted one of Edgar's books but never had an opportunity, i feel these are the times because if most of these disappear into new collections for as long as they have been in the one now freeing them up it could be your last chance....lord knows i'm trying to snag a couple:pullhair:

Now is definitely the time!  Heritage is really dribbling out the Church copies of the more obscure books week by week.  Each time I figure they are done, they list another batch.

If you are eyeing a raw Church copy, be alert -- for reasons discussed in the other thread. 

6 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Now is definitely the time!  Heritage is really dribbling out the Church copies of the more obscure books week by week.  Each time I figure they are done, they list another batch.

If you are eyeing a raw Church copy, be alert -- for reasons discussed in the other thread. 

Thanks T. (thumbsu

..and yes, since reading those posts i have kept my hunts to certified books only. 

39 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

John had a LOT of Church books. He probably had the largest intact portion of the collection. He along with John McLaughlin, Redbeard and probably the Carters (DC's) were the largest buyer's of the "cheaper" ones. They were buying huge amounts at a time in the day. McLaughlin's are all sold as are the Carters. I believe Redbeard has sold off the biggest majority of what he had. I would assume that John probably had them noted or coded in some way. Hard to know for sure though.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Even if I'm at Stage 4? :wishluck:

Droll, very droll. But yes, Dr. Jay's magic rejuvenation formula will make you feel like a young lad and take that extra "g" out of "Sqeggs"!

I only buy raw books because I buy 'em to read 'em, and I have to chime in on this.  it seems that recently, maybe in the last 12 months or so, I've received books lacking whole or partial pages.  The first thing I always do is to count the pages.  This had occurred in the past, but only very seldom.  It's happened now several times recently, and this includes books from dealers as well.  

I presume slabbed books have had their pages counted by the grading company, so you're prolly safe there, but with raw, I would suggest to definitely count pages as soon as you receive the book, regardless of from whom.

16 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Even if I'm at Stage 4? :wishluck:

Droll, very droll. But yes, Dr. Jay's magic rejuvenation formula will make you feel like a young lad and take that extra "g" out of "Sqeggs"!

I was actually hoping to add a third "g." hm

1 hour ago, walclark said:

You could just get some implants and make your double ggs into double GGs. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

:whatthe:  ?

Yes! And then you’d fit into a manssiere, aka “The Bro”!

164732B9-9965-48D4-82CE-1381B5013EF5.jpeg.ba91bbe3dc555d713f98cc9866bffe08.jpeg

9 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
11 hours ago, walclark said:

You could just get some implants and make your double ggs into double GGs. 

11 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

:whatthe:  ?

Yes! And then you’d fit into a manssiere, aka “The Bro”!

164732B9-9965-48D4-82CE-1381B5013EF5.jpeg.ba91bbe3dc555d713f98cc9866bffe08.jpeg

One of Kramer's finest schemes!

40 minutes ago, szavisca said:

I’d like us to think about getting him a U before we address the G’s... am I supposed to be pronouncing it Skeggs or Skweggs?

Part of the mystery, my friend!

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

I’d like us to think about getting him a U before we address the G’s... am I supposed to be pronouncing it Skeggs or Skweggs?

Agree. It is MOST frustrating, seeing that U without an E after it! I've been tempted to block this individual on the grounds of gramaticle infarctions.