• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, this is awesome! I cannot believe this is in my possession, if even for my typical few weeks/months. I hope in this case it is years though. 

The scan does not even do justice to this amazing book! Cross posted in Planet thread.

fc.jpg

Wowwzwersss  (worship)

17 hours ago, valiantman said:

Arrived yesterday:

1250348002_1200.jpg

... this book contains a panel that looks like this:

Action21SupermanRobotFighter.jpg

... which reminds me of a book that looks like this:

magnus0.jpg

:cloud9:

That's a cool similarity to have noticed.  I wonder if it's a swipe or just coincidence? I would lead toward coincidence. hm

19 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

That's a cool similarity to have noticed.  I wonder if it's a swipe or just coincidence? I would lead toward coincidence. hm

I think it's a coincidence, but the 1960s Magnus Robot Fighter was probably (at least slightly) influenced by Superman being able to fight robots with his bare hands.  Other "robot fighters" in Golden Age comics relied on ray guns, etc.  Manning was definitely influenced by Asimov as well, since the robots he fights have free will and choose to harm humans.  Superman was destroying robots programmed by Ultra which had no "thoughts" of their own.

magnus01.jpg

The first superhero comic created by Valiant in the 1990s was Magnus #0 (shown earlier) and the first page of that comic has a Superman reference at the bottom, with a holographic "rock'em-sock'em" game.  The first superhero comic released by Valiant was Magnus #1, but the #0 comic was a coupon redemption book that states that its story was the first one written.

Magnus_Valiant_0-03.jpg

17 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, this is awesome! I cannot believe this is in my possession, if even for my typical few weeks/months. I hope in this case it is years though. 

The scan does not even do justice to this amazing book! Cross posted in Planet thread. Seein' where some of that sales thread money is going?

fc.jpg

Holy cow!  Congrats!

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

These Shadow covers are growing on me. 

sha1.720a.jpg

Very nice Church book. We are in a very unique moment of comic collecting history as so many of Edgar's books are coming on the market now. Some 'bargains' to be had in terms of lesser grade copies and cold/unpopular books, but this hobby has a history of something catching on when many aren't looking. If you always wanted one of Edgar's books but never had an opportunity, i feel these are the times because if most of these disappear into new collections for as long as they have been in the one now freeing them up it could be your last chance....lord knows i'm trying to snag a couple:pullhair:

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

David Arnold auction. You better make sure they are all complete or the laugh's on you...

Said they were complete in the listing, but definitely have to check each GA comic that comes in.

Though it takes time away from my box digging, I'm going to have to start implementing this more at shows to avoid major disappointment later. I have some purchases from earlier in my collecting I spent some good money on I'm afraid to check.