• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, Zolnerowich said:

This just in. 

Fantastic_1.thumb.jpg.fe178e910a7093499c7efe710a53df73.jpg

Interesting -- an early depiction of Japanese soldiers on the cover, ~9 months before their military alliance with Germany and Italy, and 2 years before Pearl Harbor.

Sensational book!  I think there was a lot of pro-Chinese sentiment in the U.S. during the 1930s -- Pearl Buck and all that.  Then with the Rape of Nanking and other Japanese aggression, by 1939 anti-Japanese sentiment was probably pretty strong.  But this might still be among the first overtly anti-Japanese covers.  Anybody know?

On 3/27/2019 at 12:02 PM, Joshua33 said:

Welcome to the Jungle.

Rulah 24 Kamen AND Baker cover? Thoughts?

Voodoo 19. Last issue before name change. 

Vooda 20. First issue after name change.

20190327_084626.jpg

20190317_192825.jpg

20190327_084459.jpg

Kamen? Kamen/Baker? Iger Shop artist mimicking Kamen or Baker? .... Hard to decipher these. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Just say "Awwww, isn't that sweet!" and go on about your business. 

polly.jpg

Awwww, isn't that sweet!

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that a young Sqeggs in the blue gaberdine suit, holding two bowls of ice cream, and thinking, "Doggonit, I hope she says no, because I really want to eat this ice cream myself!"