• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2019 at 3:41 PM, Electricmastro said:

Just discovered what comic books are said to have been on sale in May, 1938.

NlH78qN.png

When you compare Jerry Siegel's Superman in Action #1 with anything else here, it's striking how far ahead of his time he was. There are neat books here for sure, but fairly disposable stuff... nothing with the drama, the wit and the true cliffhanger ending of that first Superman story. I would've been back for issue #2 for sure!

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

When you compare Jerry Siegel's Superman in Action #1 with anything else here, it's striking how far ahead of his time he was. There are neat books here for sure, but fairly disposable stuff... nothing with the drama, the wit and the true cliffhanger ending of that first Superman story. I would've been back for issue #2 for sure!

Though comics don't have to have drama to be good, I will admit that by May, 1938, many of those comic books were definitely a reflection of the emphasis on humor the newspaper comics had, unless they were something like DickTracy, Mandrake the Magician, or the Phantom. Popeye was probably Superman's closest comparison in terms of being a superhuman who gained strength from an everyday source (who also wears blue, red, and yellow and had cartoons animated by Fleischer Studios). Also worth noting is that Dell Comics' The Comics #8 had a Buck Rogers-esque feature by Paul H. Jepsen called Rod Rian of the Sky Police, which stands out in a largely humor-focused issue.

23.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

7 hours ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

Here's to a good year of collecting golden age and credit card bills! I finally hopped into the golden age market last year and am glad I did.  

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

IMG_4763 (2).JPG

IMG_1846 (2).JPG

Wow. Modakka you been holding out on us. :cloud9:

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 1/8/2020 at 10:09 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Is that also from the Park Ave. collection?  Very nice...

Martys books kept great,great colour eh Brian?

Park Avenue needs a label! :sumo: