• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's an EBay purchase from last week. Not only a new title for me but a new publisher. There was a great run of Shadows for sale and this one really caught my eye with the creepy cover. There is a printing defect where the staples tried to grab the cover; but not too distracting. Great interior too!

2029367862_tn_ShadowVol8No.2.jpg.f5826c26bd08c86147a5b0ec58857ad8.jpg

The first Shadow story and cover illustration is a radio adaptation, lots of ads for the radio stories in this book.

Calling @Straw-Man for the Bayou reference!

596931342_tn_ShadowInt1.jpg.9d28230bbcc95c171b1ecdc87467b523.jpg

Then we have Doc Savage, not a great splash was hoping for more from the Man of Bronze.

1995594443_tn_ShadowInt2.jpg.e48c6d685af9cd27785dc2100d505273.jpg

Then yet another Shadow tale with another nice splash and unique logo.

1246107026_tn_ShadowInt3.jpg.291ebb51ddd6ca9c61cbf0826c2a5dba.jpg

Finally this whack a doodle strip which really looks like a Shuster lift.

377152542_tn_ShadowInt4.jpg.3d8ebd4b7ab14a79eebcb1ff03224fb5.jpg

I saw that. Congrats. Great book at a great price. He had many from the “sweet spot” in the run. Was going to go for a couple but forgot...

47 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I saw that. Congrats. Great book at a great price. He had many from the “sweet spot” in the run. Was going to go for a couple but forgot...

What’s do you consider the sweet spot Bob? This is my first in this series or Street and Smith for that matter.

And while I’m here @Yellow Kid did you find these interior shots above?

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

What’s do you consider the sweet spot Bob? This is my first in this series or Street and Smith for that matter.

And while I’m here @Yellow Kid did you find these interior shots above?

I found them, Frank, and the swamp scene sure reminded me of the 20 years I lived on the edge of the Honey Island Swamp in Slidell LA and could hear the big gators barking 50 yds. away as I went to sleep.  Swamps are very eerie.  Great cover!

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I really like the Powell covers in the volume 8 range. Lots of horror content inside as well. Adam had a good amount of them. I don’t have the one you got. Glad I forgot and didn’t run you up on it. 

I'll bring it by Terry's show so you can get a look see.

7 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I always like to read the indicia on old books. The Shadow book is a pretty clear one and I thought I would Google the address. The building is still there and looks nicely restored. I can certainly see this building being home of the Shadow magazine back in the thirties. Just add a Fedora and walk out that door.

tn_StreetandSmith122east42nd.jpg.c6b6273e4389768e460ad3d3580df783.jpg

Oh yep, I used to have a client there. That's a beautiful building.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Bought this solely for the cool label...

I dunno.  Contents are pretty flashy.  hm