• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

My pulp grail has been secured!! Compliments of Steve Wyatt at the Chicago Con. Thanks Steve!

:sumo: and you didn't bring it to dinner!

Yeah, we had to get along with only seeing Bill's 'Tec 27 and Bats 1 :insane:

Show your purchases, punk! :baiting:

I just got home :sumo:

I'll scan them tomorrow :cloud9:

Awwright. I'll show mine then until you can show yours; that way you can't upstage me before I start (:

Guys, be prepared to see all the books I bought since after scanning them all, I'm very happy with all the purchases so you won't be spared even the Romance books :devil:

Chronologically at the show, my first purchases were on Saturday from Dale Roberts and they start a theme to my con buys actually. Always $$$-conscious, I was happy to find these books with defects but still with enough eye-appeal to satisfy me. The blue on the # 29 is as deep as the scan makes it look -

42060-Fight23.jpg.5f92acecb259f5a3a70e9786ba62fcef.jpg

42061-Fight25.jpg.258b8b72032a787c53ed1d0dfa7d3e57.jpg

42062-Fight29.jpg.fc8016e5c7ad16f12e1ee45b775be5a6.jpg

It took me a while to find a book for my March 1952 set at the con but I was lucky and happy to run into this one at a booth with mostly trade paperbacks and hardcovers for guide or so. These go for much more on eBay generally. Gotta love that Matt Baker guy and those writers: "I was a Soldier's Pickup" lol ( :gossip: The stain on top right is accentuated by the scan)

42063-WartimeRomances5.jpg.45088b547e940bf20f44191653ac69f7.jpg

After much searching high and low, I was finally able to find another book for the Month quest, a nice painted cover from Avon's romance line, Realistic Romances # 4. Thankfully the dealer had both # 4 and 5 which allowed me to discover I really needed # 4 and not # 5 which I had been looking for erroneously since 2001!! doh!

At that booth, I also traded some late night eBay impulse buys for a copy of a book I've wanted for a little while -

42065-RealisticRomances4.jpg.57f3965ce8b629acfa10c5c4d70610e7.jpg

42066-Rangers39.jpg.1aa8693a615d331d20adac9e221e2a3a.jpg

Next, I headed to Mr. Bedrock's booth. I had finally met the :cool: Mr. Evans the night before at the Forum dinner. I had decided I would not leave the show without buying at least one book from him. Fortunately he had a nice copy of Fight # 49 priced and graded more than fairly (Buy from this guy first!!) (thumbs u -

42067-Fight49.jpg.00ca9afcee9ce0b97e03832e998e2910.jpg

Next, on it went, I met up with PedigreeMan seeking his wise advice on a couple of books I had pulled back at Ted Superworld's table. In his wisdom, Alan declared that if I didn't buy the books, he would on the spot, thereby happily forcing my hand and I have no regrets. Thanks Alan! Ted had this mid-grade copy sitting right there in his Misc. GA box for a reasonable premium to guide which Richard actually quickly discounted for me. :golfclap:

I also bought the second book at the same time. In addition to another nice Heath cover, it's the interior work that stands out for the # 16. I'm attaching the splash page by Heath about The Kaiser and that by Paul Reinman about the dawn of Israel and its armed forces. Good stuff if you ask me -

42068-War11.jpg.4b2dacff8f459ce3366ca6879fe18585.jpg

42069-War16.jpg.4eca32dd7f744efd891e1cc32e2ba432.jpg

42070-War16Story1s.jpg.5854af90ce993444f8a6bbe27a1a1012.jpg

42071-War16Story3s.jpg.1dc619997fb5e3e22a9ebc8669fc1efc.jpg

From there, I went back to the booth with the bald white-headed dealer as I described him to 143ksk. It's not Nelson Dodd, it's a bigger guy but I don't know his name. Anyone know who I might be talking about?

Anyway, I picked these two books from him. One appears to be a book that every board member has to own as it was recently posted twice, well, make it three! -

42072-Fight42.jpg.729c329347e19752be14ce52cdf907af.jpg

42073-Fight44.jpg.2d8ca567e33d4c74bef455b72bfea7f8.jpg

Before leaving, I picked up a purchase I had paid for earlier in the day but didn't want to carry around all day. This was not planned but I am synched about having been able to pick up the 5 volumes of the NBM HCs reprinting in color Hal Foster's run on Tarzan in one fell swoop (sp?). I'll blame this on Theagenes for including a picture of Tarzan in each and every one of his posts! :baiting:

On my way out of the show, I broke down and overpaid for the only copy of Superboy # 18 at the show. I wanted to walk away with more than 2 books for my Month set so I bit the bullet on this copy. Not great but good enough.

With that, I had just enough $$$ to pay the dog's kennel bill and a burger. Broke but happy!

42074-Superboy18.jpg.d901705d7e3c231fb23f83df324a885a.jpg

You did very well for yourself. Scrooge!

"Month" books and GA!

When you look inside those Atlas books there's lots of good interior art and story and it's not all about WWII either.

42070-War16Story1s.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

After much searching high and low, I was finally able to find another book for the Month quest, a nice painted cover from Avon's romance line, Realistic Romances # 4. Thankfully the dealer had both # 4 and 5 which allowed me to discover I really needed # 4 and not # 5 which I had been looking for erroneously since 2001!! doh!

At that booth, I also traded some late night eBay impulse buys for a copy of a book I've wanted for a little while -

The blonde is "inspired by" Jayne Mansfield, right?

The sneaking-a-peek-down-the-cleavage ploy is hilarious.

More great pick-ups, Scrooge.

Jack

and very Realistic

42065-RealisticRomances4.jpg

Next, I headed to Mr. Bedrock's booth. I had finally met the :cool: Mr. Evans the night before at the Forum dinner. I had decided I would not leave the show without buying at least one book from him. Fortunately he had a nice copy of Fight # 49 priced and graded more than fairly (Buy from this guy first!!) (thumbs u -

Is that greggy in the background yelling "Leave my snake alone!"?

Jack

42067-Fight49.jpg

With that, I had just enough $$$ to pay the dog's kennel bill and a burger. Broke but happy!

Nice books...and who was the burger for???... hm

AWP! I figured that he meant to type "Gerber".

Jack

and I'm not thinking of baby food

My pulp grail has been secured!! Compliments of Steve Wyatt at the Chicago Con. Thanks Steve!

:sumo: and you didn't bring it to dinner! I love me some pulps and this is one of the big ones. Congrats. :applause:

Actually it was there. I had it in my bag, but didn't think anyone wanted to see it.....

:sumo: and you didn't bring it to dinner! I love me some pulps and this is one of the big ones. Congrats. :applause:

Actually it was there. I had it in my bag, but didn't think anyone wanted to see it.....

The highest concentration of golden-age geeks on the continent and you thought no one was interested in a classic superhero-like pulp cover? A likely story!

Jack

green-eyed

Nice books...and who was the burger for???... hm

For me! It's tough on my body pounding the convention floor all day then driving home. I needed fuel bad by then. The dog got its own food. Cute as the dog is, no way she touches my burger!