• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

Excuse the cross post but this item was too cool to only post once.

I'm proud to report that this unique book (a prototype for sure, whether it is an "ashcan" can probably be debated") is now part of my collection!

Scoop - Crime and Penalty Ashcan Discovered (July 27, 2007)

This week, we bring you a new discovery. An ASHCAN copy of Crime and Penalty #1 by Lev Gleason Publications has been discovered. The interior of this book is a complete copy of Crime Does Not Pay #59 which is intact with the cover. The ASHCAN cover is a complete front cover and a partial back cover which was taped onto the copy of Crime Does Not Pay #59 to mock up the potential comic. Of interest to collectors and historians is that the cover art to this ASHCAN is the same as Crime and Punishment #1 with the exception of the title and logo.

Crime-1.jpg

Crimeback.jpg

Crime2-1.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but either Dave Alexander or Terry Stroud had one of those in San Diego in 1995 IIRC. I remember looking at it and don't recall the ULHC damage, so that would make another copy.

I'm proud to report that this unique book (a prototype for sure, whether it is an "ashcan" can probably be debated") is now part of my collection!

This week, we bring you a new discovery. An ASHCAN copy of Crime and Penalty #1 by Lev Gleason Publications has been discovered. The interior of this book is a complete copy of Crime Does Not Pay #59 which is intact with the cover. The ASHCAN cover is a complete front cover and a partial back cover which was taped onto the copy of Crime Does Not Pay #59 to mock up the potential comic. Of interest to collectors and historians is that the cover art to this ASHCAN is the same as Crime and Punishment #1 with the exception of the title and logo.

Crime-1.jpg

Crimeback.jpg

Crime2-1.jpg

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but either Dave Alexander or Terry Stroud had one of those in San Diego in 1995 IIRC. I remember looking at it and don't recall the ULHC damage, so that would make another copy.

Who's to say it isn't the same one? (shrug)

Are you positive it was the same exact one?

I'll definitely check with Dave and Terry. (thumbs u

In any event, it wouldn't be that big a deal if there were more than one mock-up. Most ashcans, and I'm still not sure if this is one, have 3 - 8 copies of each in existence.

I might have phonetically spelled that one out lol

is pons there yet (shrug)

he has a noon e.t.a.

have fun!

well, 2 d.c.'s won't make it to the marketplace. he's going home with them.

:applause:

:banana:

What d'ya get? :popcorn:

he has a noon e.t.a.

have fun!

yes, do tell, please

he has a noon e.t.a.

have fun!

Thanks to Billy for a wonderful time this weekend. He grilled some delicious redfish, his lovely wife made a fabulous breakfast for us this morning, he ran me ragged in the yard playing frisbee and baseball, oh and he was kind enough to allow me to relieve him of these.............

action56.jpg

western1.jpg

What a host! (worship)

he has a noon e.t.a.

have fun!

Thanks to Billy for a wonderful time this weekend. He grilled some delicious redfish, his lovely wife made a fabulous breakfast for us this morning, he ran me ragged in the yard playing frisbee and baseball, oh and he was kind enough to allow me to relieve him of these.............

action56.jpg

western1.jpg

What a host! (worship)

i don't want to put it out publicly, so anybody that needs some money, pm me so i can tell you about how easy it is to gouge him on yellow and red funny books. but don't let on that you learned it from me.

he has a noon e.t.a.

have fun!

action56.jpg

western1.jpg

What a host! (worship)

i don't want to put it out publicly, so anybody that needs some money, pm me so i can tell you about how easy it is to gouge him on yellow and red funny books. but don't let on that you learned it from me.

I was just happy to hear you let bill relieve you lol

he has a noon e.t.a.

have fun!

action56.jpg

western1.jpg

What a host! (worship)

I was just happy jealous to hear you let bill relieve you :cry:

Fixed that for you ;)

action56.jpg

western1.jpg

What a host! (worship)

Congratulations Bill! They are both nice books!

action56.jpg

western1.jpg

What a host! (worship)

I'll say they are. :applause:

action56.jpg

western1.jpg

What a host! (worship)

I'll say they are. :applause:

I don't collect Actions, but that No. 56 just plains rocks! :headbang:

Crime-1.jpg

Crimeback.jpg

Crime2-1.jpg

That is very cool, Mark - congrats! :applause:

one tough bugger, had to settle on this copy:

9 MORE TO GO!

sb21.jpg

trust me...as a run builder, I have settled many times, but eventually, I have always found an upgrade (sometimes sooner than later, sometimes the other way around)

keep the faith!