• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,442 posts in this topic

My new Terrific #5 (thanks gator!)...a Schomburg masterpiece! :banana:

GE

How'd you get it so fast? :o

I'm helping Rick build the Action 1 "Shrine" next to his pool. Big 20-ft homage to Superman and the holy grail... lol

Naw, just had the scan from Heritage Crippen '07 auction (I was outbid) (thumbs u

:grin:

My new Terrific #5 (thanks gator!)...a Schomburg masterpiece! :banana:

GE

How'd you get it so fast? :o

I'm helping Rick build the Action 1 "Shrine" next to his pool. Big 20-ft homage to Superman and the holy grail... lol

Naw, just had the scan from Heritage Crippen '07 auction (I was outbid) (thumbs u

:grin:

and I got it from the clink auction last year ...great book, but funds are needed to take a run

I do like those early Heroic covers. I tried to post this before but I don't know if it made it through.

bb

Fabulous! I agree about the covers -- do you think this one is a team effort with Peters on Man o' Metal and Everett on Hydro-Man? Not as gooped up with captions and logos as some GA covers -- at least they're out of the way.

One of the few Golden Age sets that I'd consider chasing. Far enough off most collectors' radar that the prices aren't too crazy. (OK, maybe I'd wait and buy each issue after ciorac has it -- working on a full run or just selected issues?)

Jack

jack, a couple are hard; i've had one hole missing in the 1-15 run for a LONG time now, and never a sniff at it.

So much for that half-baked idea.

Billy P can't find one = no way in the world I could accumulate a set.

What's the tough one, or would you rather not draw attention to it?

Jack

#10, right there in my sig line. and, by the way, why aren't you intimately familiar with my sig line so as to be out there on the front lines, hunting for books i need???

picked up a cool little book off ebay for next to nothing. there are actually a goodly number of super-mystery issues that i dig. and don't get all revved up gator; it's not THAT kind of pounding excitement.

supmystery.jpg

picked up a cool little book off ebay for next to nothing. there are actually a goodly number of super-mystery issues that i dig. and don't get all revved up gator; it's not THAT kind of pounding excitement.

supmystery.jpg

Kind of a goofy character, but the cover is well drawn and colored making it striking

:applause:

I don't know where to put these.

Here? Short bus? Duck thread? Bangzoom's thread?

I stopped at The Great Escape on my way out of Bowling Green, KY, last night. Nice shop with about half comics and half music. They were doing a brisk business. I spent a while pawing through the cheapo bins then looked at some misc -- I couldn't resist these Peter Porkchops. Reasonable prices after 20% off for buying a good-sized stack.

Peter Porkchops 21 May-53

PeterPorkchops21.jpg

Peter Porkchops 38 Jul-55. Unusual cover with all the empty white and light blue space. (The light blue didn't scan well but the scanner made a little light foxing look like advanced leprosy.)

PeterPorkchops38.jpg

Peter Porkchops 45 Sep-56. I like this one best of the bunch even though it's sort of wordy. Already posted on the calendar thread in General.

PeterPorkchops45.jpg

Peter Porkchops 51 Sep-57. Nice, simple cover with very "thick" inks. Reminds me of the fan favorite cover of Donald Duck shooting a bee off his beak.

PeterPorkchops51.jpg

Jack

I love em!

well i vowed i'd get off new funny books for awhile after getting in to the MC 1. i guess 36 hours should about do it.

Jackpot4.jpg

i figure the chance to get a jackpot 4 in any shape wasn't to be passed up. thanks go to flatrock.

Great pick up. I almost hit that one too.

Nice funny animals, selegue! ...

One more old funny animal book with a question.

Frisky Fables Vol. 4 No. 4, Sep-48. Cover says "Curtis distributed" but indicia says "Premium Group". Is this an original or reprint?

Obviously it's a total dishrag, but since it was dirt cheap and complete I couldn't resist the Al Fago artwork.

FriskyFables4.jpg

Jack

Great cover I never noticed the almost washtone quality of it before. I do not think JCA art is actually drawn by Fago, But I do think he helmed the group, and a lot of it is done in his vague style. I wish we knew more about that group.

well i vowed i'd get off new funny books for awhile after getting in to the MC 1. i guess 36 hours should about do it.

Jackpot4.jpg

i figure the chance to get a jackpot 4 in any shape wasn't to be passed up. thanks go to flatrock.

Great pick up. I almost hit that one too.

thanks! haven't had an "all the bells and whistles" resto done by mattie in a long, long time. with the great pq of this book, i'm giving some thought to spending some dough to make it look real purty. i'm gonna email him and see what he thinks.

I do like those early Heroic covers. I tried to post this before but I don't know if it made it through.

bb

Fabulous! I agree about the covers -- do you think this one is a team effort with Peters on Man o' Metal and Everett on Hydro-Man? Not as gooped up with captions and logos as some GA covers -- at least they're out of the way.

One of the few Golden Age sets that I'd consider chasing. Far enough off most collectors' radar that the prices aren't too crazy. (OK, maybe I'd wait and buy each issue after ciorac has it -- working on a full run or just selected issues?)

Jack

jack, a couple are hard; i've had one hole missing in the 1-15 run for a LONG time now, and never a sniff at it.

So much for that half-baked idea.

Billy P can't find one = no way in the world I could accumulate a set.

What's the tough one, or would you rather not draw attention to it?

Jack

#10, right there in my sig line. and, by the way, why aren't you intimately familiar with my sig line so as to be out there on the front lines, hunting for books i need???

I turned off sig lines because some of them were so embarrassing that I didn't want anyone to see them on my monitor.

Good hunting!

Thanks,

Jack

Nice funny animals, selegue! ...

Frisky Fables Vol. 4 No. 4, Sep-48. ....

Obviously it's a total dishrag, but since it was dirt cheap and complete I couldn't resist the Al Fago artwork.

Great cover I never noticed the almost washtone quality of it before. I do not think JCA art is actually drawn by Fago, But I do think he helmed the group, and a lot of it is done in his vague style. I wish we knew more about that group.

Thanks for the comment.

Nice personnel list at Jerry's Who's Who, although most of the names are total ciphers to me. Do you recognize any of them?

Jack

Studio personnel

BANKER, GEORGE c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

BERUBE, PHIL (pen/ink/) 1945-60 > 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

BRYANT, DAVID c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

CABRAL, JAMES name on back of original comic art from JCA; possibly artist or letterer

CALPINI, ORESTES (pen/ink/) mid-1940s > 44 45 46

CHAMBERS, ELLIS (pen/ink/) mid-1940s unconfirmed > 44 45 46

DELGADO, GILBERT c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

FILLION, ERNEST c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

FRUBELL, ROBERT c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

GALLANT, YVETTE c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

GOLDEN, TOM (pen/ink/) 1940s unconfirmed > 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

HALL, HENRY c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

HERSEY, ALLISON c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

HOUGH, GAIL c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

HUDSON, BILL (wr/pen/ink/) 1945-47 > 45 46 47

JASON, LEON (own/dir/ed/) 1945-55- > 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

KAJUTI, CAROL c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by studio; possibly artist or letterer > 46

LITTMANN, PETER name on back of original comic art from JCA; possibly artist or letterer

MAFFINI, EDWARD c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by shop for NUTTY COMICS > 46

MAFFINI, EDWARD name on back of original comic art from JCA; possibly artist or letterer

MORTON, JAY (mgr/wr/)

MORTON, JAY (wr/) 1940s manager? > 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

OTTENHEIMER, FRED (wr/pen/ink/) unconfirmed

POST, HOWIE (pen/ink/) unconfirmed

RILEY, LARRY (pen/ink/) 1945 > 45

RYAN, DOROTHY c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by shop for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

RYAN, DOROTHY name on back of original comic art from JCA; possibly artist or letterer

SILVERMAN, LAWRENCE (pen/ink/) 1946-49 > 46 47 48 49

SPARACO, HAROLD c1946 name found on back of original art prepared by shop for NUTTY COMICS; possibly artist or letterer > 46

SPARACO, HAROLD name on back of original comic art from JCA; possibly artist or letterer

TARAS, MARTIN (pen/ink/) 1945 > 45

WOOD, PAT (pen/ink/) c1945 > 45

CALPINI, ORESTES (pen/ink/) mid-1940s > 44 45 46

OTTENHEIMER, FRED (wr/pen/ink/) unconfirmed

POST, HOWIE (pen/ink/) unconfirmed

These are the only ones I recognize ...

Calpini is a blank for me.

I know I've seen OTTENHEIMER but no idea where.

Of course I know Post, but didn't realize that he had anything to do with JCA.

Jack

Jack

Ottenheimer, I posted earlier this week or last - See sign at the bottom -

73947.jpg

Calpini I know b/c he was part of the Unknown Greats series of articles by Hames Ware and Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr. in Alter Ego.

Jack

Ottenheimer, I posted earlier this week or last - See sign at the bottom -

73947.jpg

Calpini I know b/c he was part of the Unknown Greats series of articles by Hames Ware and Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr. in Alter Ego.

AHA! Fun cartoony Ottenheimer style.

I have some Alter Egos but they're almost unread. Is Unknown Greats still an ongoing series?

Jack

Just got this one in today :cloud9: Tough book to find graded since there are only 4 on the census.

Major Kudos to Point Five for locating this copy for me :applause:

Thanks Jon (thumbs u

CLAIREVOYANT3_65_COW1.jpg

Kidnapping Brides should be a felony. (tsk)

Just got this one in today :cloud9: Tough book to find graded since there are only 4 on the census.

Major Kudos to Point Five for locating this copy for me :applause:

Thanks Jon (thumbs u

Kidnapping Brides should be a felony. (tsk)

Come on now, the guys just doing the groom a favor!