• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

we have a few peter porkchops...my son likes funny stuff better, though

Watch it there -- some of us think Peter Porkchops IS funny! :baiting:

Of course, everybody loves Dodo and the Frog, right?

Jack

and don't forget blackie the bear

I don't know where to put these.

Here? Short bus? Duck thread? Bangzoom's thread?

I stopped at The Great Escape on my way out of Bowling Green, KY, last night. Nice shop with about half comics and half music. They were doing a brisk business. I spent a while pawing through the cheapo bins then looked at some misc -- I couldn't resist these Peter Porkchops. Reasonable prices after 20% off for buying a good-sized stack.

Peter Porkchops 21 May-53

PeterPorkchops21.jpg

Peter Porkchops 38 Jul-55. Unusual cover with all the empty white and light blue space. (The light blue didn't scan well but the scanner made a little light foxing look like advanced leprosy.)

PeterPorkchops38.jpg

Peter Porkchops 45 Sep-56. I like this one best of the bunch even though it's sort of wordy. Already posted on the calendar thread in General.

PeterPorkchops45.jpg

Peter Porkchops 51 Sep-57. Nice, simple cover with very "thick" inks. Reminds me of the fan favorite cover of Donald Duck shooting a bee off his beak.

PeterPorkchops51.jpg

Jack

Those are classic Jack :applause:

Nice funny animals, selegue! I really like the cover to this one:

PeterPorkchops21.jpg

PeterPorkchops21.jpg
takes realistic 3-d to the next level, doesn't it.... amazing what technology and comics can accomplish !

a low grade reader of one of my favorite books....

esquire has a very nice high grade copy for sale....but I got this one for under $30 which was a screaming steal IMO.

There are a few GA titles like this one that are just fun reads. The other one I really like is The Newsboy Legion with the Guardian. Just plain GA reading fun!

3266699397_075fdc346a_o.jpg

I do like those early Heroic covers. I tried to post this before but I don't know if it made it through.

bb

Fabulous! I agree about the covers -- do you think this one is a team effort with Peter on Man o' Metal and Everett on Hydro-Man? Not as gooped up with captions and logos as some GA covers -- at least they're out of the way.

One of the few Golden Age sets that I'd consider chasing. Far enough off most collectors' radar that the prices aren't too crazy. (OK, maybe I'd wait and buy each issue after ciorac has it -- working on a full run or just selected issues?)

Jack

I think the cover of Heroic 8 is alll Everett. I like the later issues that he didn't do also. But I particularly like the Hydroman covers.

bb

2322939070_8c435e64a2_b.jpg

PeterPorkchops21.jpg

Thanks, all!

DC funny animals are on a roll here lately! Sometimes they don't even attract a peep. Getting this much love, I guess Peter Porkchops will have to give up his seat on the Short Bus.

Jack

Nice funny animals, selegue! ...

One more old funny animal book with a question.

Frisky Fables Vol. 4 No. 4, Sep-48. Cover says "Curtis distributed" but indicia says "Premium Group". Is this an original or reprint?

Obviously it's a total dishrag, but since it was dirt cheap and complete I couldn't resist the Al Fago artwork.

FriskyFables4.jpg

Jack

Obviously it's a total dishrag, but since it was dirt cheap and complete I couldn't resist the Al Fago artwork.

Are you saying the cover is Al Fago or some story inside? It's not quite possible to ID anything signed by the Jason Comic Artist studio, is it?

Are you saying the cover is Al Fago or some story inside? It's not quite possible to ID anything signed by the Jason Comic Artist studio, is it?

The cover is Fago-esque and could be him, but the first and 2nd stories are signed by Fago.

FriskyFables4p1.jpg

Gag pages are signed Milt Hammer and a couple of stories are just credited to Jason Comic Art. Even those are pretty good, with some odd faces that look like Beavis and Butthead inspirations.

I sure hope that I didn't lower the grade on the scanner. Now Bill has some chips with his beer.

Jack

The cover is Fago-esque and could be him, but the first and 2nd stories are signed by Fago.

It makes me laugh to see us two, weak art spotters at best, discussing this but I don't think the cover is by Fago. I was a little less convinced after you showed the splash of the signed story but in the end, that giraffe is not by Fago IMO. Still, nice to see some off-brand funny animals interior. (thumbs u

I stopped at The Great Escape on my way out of Bowling Green, KY, last night. Nice shop with about half comics and half music. They were doing a brisk business. I spent a while pawing through the cheapo bins then looked at some misc -- I couldn't resist these Peter Porkchops. Reasonable prices after 20% off for buying a good-sized stack.

Peter Porkchops 21 May-53

PeterPorkchops21.jpg

Peter Porkchops 38 Jul-55. Unusual cover with all the empty white and light blue space. (The light blue didn't scan well but the scanner made a little light foxing look like advanced leprosy.)

PeterPorkchops38.jpg

Peter Porkchops 45 Sep-56. I like this one best of the bunch even though it's sort of wordy. Already posted on the calendar thread in General.

PeterPorkchops45.jpg

Peter Porkchops 51 Sep-57. Nice, simple cover with very "thick" inks. Reminds me of the fan favorite cover of Donald Duck shooting a bee off his beak.

PeterPorkchops51.jpg

Jack

hm You know those are CUTE, if you keep this up, Jack, you'd better watch out, they may become fasionable again...after all, the genre is called COMIC books;)

Very nice posts from everyone, I'm too tired to point to each one, so

(worship) (worship) (worship)

hm You know those are CUTE, if you keep this up, Jack, you'd better watch out, they may become fasionable again...after all, the genre is called COMIC books;)

Huh?

"...become fashionable again"

You mean they're NOT?

:cry:

Jack

cute as Peter Porkchops