• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Holliday pics

23 posts in this topic

it costed me two X's in Nik's grading contest, but after a conference in Nairobi i had a chance to take a prolonged weekend and head down to the Masai Mara, in the southern part of Kenya very close to the tanzanian border.

The wildlife there is some of the best in the world not locked up in a park, and the joy of driving around on the savannah at 6 AM looking for lions and Elephants is quite amazing. I wont bore you with the 200+ pics i took from this trip but thought i would share a few i had handy.

kenya140.jpg

Aerial view of a part of MM flying in our cozy (read: tiny) airplane

kenya086-1.jpg

kenya081-1.jpg

A couple of pics of the mother and a baby lion from a pack of 7 that we tracked for a while

kenya192.jpg

The male getting slighly annoyed about our presence crazy.gif

kenya081.jpg

kenya022.jpg

a pack of Chita's that we woke up from their morning nap, very difficult animals to spot, normally very shy and the minute they noticed us they drifted away to where we couldnt follow

kenya066.jpg

Our local masai guide informed us that the kid gazelle was born only hours before we spotted her with her mother

kenya045.jpg

The local guide's in the area..

kenya034.jpg

and if anyone was wondering, this is me when we had a flat tire (200 m's from our lion pack 893whatthe.gif) also note the open top and lack of windows in our car... screwy.gifacclaim.gifyay.gif

Kenya is a beautiful country and the Masai Mara is a unique experience that i wouldnt hesitate to recommend to anyone..

Does the savannah have a dress code now? poke2.gif

tonofbricks.gif wasnt prepared for the chilly kenyan mornings and didnt bring a coat, closest thing i had was my suit jacket....... im sure the lions apreciated the gesture yeahok.gif

Oh God, with those RED colors , your guide is not looking to hide from lions grin.gif

Great pics 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

He did however give great tips on how to escape the animals, for the lions he mentioned standing very still and raising your spear in attacking position and locking its eyes in yours... i didnt bring to his attention that I, on that particular morning, had omitted to bring with me my spear.... insane.gif

Great pics, Mad Dog. 893applaud-thumb.gif How long have you been in Kenya?

only for one week.. im based in Congo and travel alot between DK and westafrica... Kenya was only for a meeting and Predictive Index training

and thanks headbang.gif

Great pics, Mad Dog. 893applaud-thumb.gif How long have you been in Kenya?

only for one week.. im based in Congo and travel alot between DK and westafrica... Kenya was only for a meeting and Predictive Index training

and thanks headbang.gif

Very impressive. Seeing those pics makes me think you need a vist by Cap N Mandi.

Did you use a long lens on your digital, or were these Old School film shots ?

Actually just my normal Digital, no long lens confused-smiley-013.gif but then again they were not standing more than 5-10 meters away to easy to capture even on a cheap camera tongue.gif

Very nice pics !

By the way, i'll be in Burkina Faso at the end of this month. Unfortunately, not for holidays, but for job purpose...

Not to worry... Burkina doesnt have much to offer for a vacation, but i hear it should be a nice place with nice people. Im assuming you are going to either Ouagadougou or Bobo-Dioulasso? let me know if you take a detour around Pointe Noire... hi.gif

Awesome pics. That must have been quite an experience. Thanks for posting those pics of my favorite big cat. thumbsup2.gif

If you like big cats you MUST visit Nairobi national park sometime, i dont have any pictures (forgot my camera tonofbricks.gif) but you can view the lions up close (behing a fence) and the most amazing thing is you can get your picture taken sitting with a Chita. Once Chita's have related to humans they, unlike the other cats, never get their instincts back so if they are bred in a park they are 100% tame and will never harm anyone... quite amazing to sit and pet it while it is spinning just like an ordinary house cat... cloud9.gif (my friend took some shots and he promised to forward them so will upload them once they are received)