• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,320 posts in this topic

My little comics room...

comicroom1.jpg

I am impressed Rog. You keep inviting me down to see your stuff and I keep saying I will come down......soon. This just whets my appetite to see it in person now. I didn't realize how large that new Tony Harris piece was until I saw it in relation to your other pieces. Well done my friend.

I am uber-jealous! :cloud9:

ps.........Love the Ross and Wrightson pieces.......classy.

Thanks again, guys. Scott, it's an open invitation--just give me a couple days warning to clean the monkey poo off the stairs.

Well, I finally have started to get it together... the space is cramped, the books are crowded, and the movies are hidden, but I think it came out alright... now, I just need to find the time to clean it up :D

aaa-longviewofroom001.jpg

aaa-longviewofroom002.jpg

aaa-mybaby017.jpg

aaa-theshelves01.jpg

aaa-theshelves02.jpg

aaa-theshelves03.jpg

aaa-theshelves04.jpg

Thought Id ask this general question, but I think I already know the answer. I have been working on finishing my entire basement over the last year and a half. Full 18' wet bar, with back bar, nice bathroom, drop ceiling, the works. I am going to use the back room and make for my comics, and then the wife brought up a disturbing point. I have two teen-age daughters. They both like to have friends over now and hang in the basement. Two large plasma t.v.s. lots of room. But,..........my wife says, "you going to put those books down there with your slabs on the walls with all those kids going down there". AAAAAAAAAAArgh. Didnt think of that. So, being a decent carpenter and handyman, I was thinking about making some nice wood cabinets that would hold 12 short boxes, with doors on the front that i could put a lock on and keep the snooping kids out when no ones around. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS DILEMA. I know I like to trust kids to an extent, but theres always temptation when no ones around. hm

DRX

If there's a door leading to this backroom, maybe you should consider adding a dead-bolt lock as well. That way you can keep it open when you're at home but locked when the daughters have guests over.

No door or even a wall. Its all open. Didnt want it to look boxed in. Guess I'll have to build some cabinets. I looked at some of the pre-fab ones at Lowes and Home

Depot. Just chip board garbage, and I dont like the way they look anyway.

DRX

Have you considered locking file cabinets?

Well, thats an idea. Id have to look and see the dimensions and how many books I could fit into one. I like the idea of building something that would match the rest of the basement, trim wise and such. I also thought that if i made some thing it would have removable shelving inside to lighten it up in case I have to move it.

DRX

Check page 135 of this thread for Mschmidt's comic room. Super clean and great use of file cabinets. What will you do about securing comics you'd like to display?

Thats another good question. I already have put a few things on the walls down there. I have an original sketch Mart Nodell did for me and signed in 84 i believe. Also a nice Green Hornet poster signed by Van Williams. Just a few odds and ends, but I would like to eventually hang some slabs, but not til I figure a way they wont walk out the door.

DRX

Cimms GF : Ok, I enjoy reading a lot of these posts, but here, I would like to add another point. I had several teenage guy friends that would come over to hang out. And there is noting more tempting than locked doors. Have you thought of moving the girls down there as their room, and taking over their current room? Or freely offering to tell the friends about it. Bore their friends to death, leaving the value out, over-explaine things. then its boring and no fun. I personally, would go for the moving them downstairs, taking over their current rooms (if they have a shared wall that dosent support a load, rip that sucker down make BIG room upstairs) and have that. plus when you get older, you dont have to haul stuff up and down stairs.

Also, in Cimms post, he left out the boxes stacked under the pool table, beside the couch, the boxes of figures, the other boxes everywhere else.... thats his organized corner in our bedroom. I think he would love to move my desk out of its perfect little recessed nitch, and put all the boxes there.

Thought Id ask this general question, but I think I already know the answer. I have been working on finishing my entire basement over the last year and a half. Full 18' wet bar, with back bar, nice bathroom, drop ceiling, the works. I am going to use the back room and make for my comics, and then the wife brought up a disturbing point. I have two teen-age daughters. They both like to have friends over now and hang in the basement. Two large plasma t.v.s. lots of room. But,..........my wife says, "you going to put those books down there with your slabs on the walls with all those kids going down there". AAAAAAAAAAArgh. Didnt think of that. So, being a decent carpenter and handyman, I was thinking about making some nice wood cabinets that would hold 12 short boxes, with doors on the front that i could put a lock on and keep the snooping kids out when no ones around. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS DILEMA. I know I like to trust kids to an extent, but theres always temptation when no ones around. hm

DRX

If there's a door leading to this backroom, maybe you should consider adding a dead-bolt lock as well. That way you can keep it open when you're at home but locked when the daughters have guests over.

No door or even a wall. Its all open. Didnt want it to look boxed in. Guess I'll have to build some cabinets. I looked at some of the pre-fab ones at Lowes and Home

DRX

Well, thats an idea. Id have to look and see the dimensions and how many books I could fit into one. I like the idea of building something that would match the rest of the basement, trim wise and such. I also thought that if i made some thing it would have removable shelving inside to lighten it up in case I have to move it.

DRX

Check page 135 of this thread for Mschmidt's comic room. Super clean and great use of file cabinets. What will you do about securing comics you'd like to display?

Thats another good question. I already have put a few things on the walls down there. I have an original sketch Mart Nodell did for me and signed in 84 i believe. Also a nice Green Hornet poster signed by Van Williams. Just a few odds and ends, but I would like to eventually hang some slabs, but not til I figure a way they wont walk out the door.

DRX

Have you considered something I just stumbled on at the Corral?

They are called "Geek Boxes", and though expensive seem very sturdy, secure, lockable with UV glass etc.

Here's the manufacturer (a really annoying site) and here is a retailer that has a lot of the product and specs displayed.

Just a thought. I like the idea of wall mounted, lockable display cabinets.

DRX

DRX

DRX

DRX

Have you considered something I just stumbled on at the Corral?

They are called "Geek Boxes", and though expensive seem very sturdy, secure, lockable with UV glass etc.

Here's the manufacturer (a really annoying site) and here is a retailer that has a lot of the product and specs displayed.

Just a thought. I like the idea of wall mounted, lockable display cabinets.

You could also consider buying old store glass cabinets at an auction. Many of them look cool and have locks on the doors.

aaa-theshelves01.jpg

Tremendous room. Blows my stockpile out of the water.

One bit of constructive criticism. You might want to move the tremendous rack of books away from the window. In the world of conservation, this is a big no-no. You not only expose the paper to greater than usual temperature variations, but this set up is an open-invitation to bugs. Especially booklice (AKA psocids). They typically hang out in window sills and are looking for a inviting situation (ie dust and paper) to move indoors. The live on microscopic molds that grow on old paper, and would love to take up residence in your books.

Sorry to be a bummer--it is a great set-up.

Edited by silverandbronze