• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
49 49

10,320 posts in this topic

Ok so here comes a likely lengthy post followed by some rewarding photos.

Background

My Fiancee and I graduated a few years ago and were lucky enough to quickly find work in our field. We were tired of living in our apartment (it was a nice apartment but I don't like to give other people my money). We started to look for a place that we could have a tenant to help pay our bills but also a nice space for us to have company and possibly expand our family in the next few years. After searching the area all of the houses that matched this expectation was either an absolute mess hole to be nice or outside our budget. It didn't stop us, we were lucky to find an empty lot to which we could afford and build a new house on it.

The house

With a boat ton of help from my Father (and mother), Uncle and siblings when they weren't at school we were able to build a nice duplex. The house is perfect for us, has a total of 4 "bedrooms" however we have already nicely divided them up. We have our bedroom, my comic book/games room, her room and then a guest room.

We did almost all of the work ourselves on weeknights and weekends for about 8 months starting last October and were moved in back in April. We still have some minor stuff to do along with a bunch of unpacking but we truck on. Based on our spendings no only did we manage to stay in budget and when the evaluation from the bank came back higher than we were expecting we were very excited.

Comic Room

My comic book room is a bedroom (or likely would be when we move out down the road lol ). It is about 12x14 in size and has a nice sized closet that I can store my longboxes and shipping supplies. For those that don't know I am a large DC & Image Fan. My Characters would be Green Arrow (yes you will see my costume that I made) along with Green Lantern. Throughout the room you will see some of the stuff that either I have made or my Fiancee has knit (mittens, scarf) and her next project is a cover swipe (in some respects) to GL 76 blanket. She hasn't had a lot of time to do it but it will be AWESOME when complete. Though everything isn't set up to the fullest. I have a retro system player to play some NES,SNES and SEGA. I also picked up a vending machine to put some of my favourite treats in. Super huge beanbag chair to read books in, my 2 cabinets (one has my costume) and the other will get more collectibles as I unpack. Finally my cabinet, as you can see it is basically a shrine to GL and GA.

Photos

I feel like I am running out of text room here so I will put the photos in the next post but explain them here:

Image 1 is just after the framing has started. The second level (basement) is only half below ground and half above ground. We didn't want the lower unit to feel like it was in the basement but didn't want the house to tower over the neighbours at the same time

Image 2

Inside shot of the framing

Image 3

Basement showing all of the insulation. It is Roxal (sp?) and was a pain in the nuts, the stuff rips apart when using it, however the stuff is awesome for soundproofing and fire resistant.

Image 4

House fully framed. Looking at the Dining Room (left upper window) and Living room (right upper window)

Image 5

Back deck with my meat machine! Our apartment didn't have a spot for a BBQ how I missed it!

Image 6

Living room. Missus took a sneak attack picture of me watching tv :P

Image 7-13

Comic book room cube faces and finally the spherical. I am not sure how this will turn out but if it doesn't will find a viewer so you guys can look at it better.

Thanks for reading this wall of text and here come the images!

In regards to the spherical (to give you the true feeling). I recommend downloading the following free viewer (non install exe).

http://www.fsoft.it/panorama/FSPViewer.htm#Download

Edited by iceman399

More like the wife is irate if you have a small mattress in your comic room already. Better than the dog house.

lol. Looking good

lol, I was thinking pretty much the same thing! Every collectors room should have an "emergency sleeping apparatus"

Great start on the room Iceman!

More like the wife is irate if you have a small mattress in your comic room already. Better than the dog house.

lol. Looking good

lol, I was thinking pretty much the same thing! Every collectors room should have an "emergency sleeping apparatus"

I thought it was there for scale :acclaim:

Your room is looking good (thumbs u

lol. Looking good

I thought it was there for scale :acclaim:

Your room is looking good (thumbs u

Hey now when I sleep there it is on my OWN accord :taptaptap:

Using my first post to say you have such a great set-up, Iceman!

This thread is so much fun to browse through, I love how many people create a warm, relaxing environment around their collections.

Agreed - one of my favorite threads. Welcome :)

This thread is so much fun to browse through, I love how many people create a warm, relaxing environment around their collections.

Agreed - one of my favorite threads. Welcome :)

+1

and WTTB :applause:

Welcome to the boards. :applause:

Welcome, happy to have a Penny Century here!

Sincerely,

HR Costigan

Thanks! Now that you have started good luck getting away. Welcome to the boards!

had some bronze/copper up here before.

Just switched it to sketch covers.

IMG_08111_zps4353d249.jpg

will rotate periodically